Beads & Blades

Various Tips either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Beads & Blades

Post by McQ »

I'm a big fan of bottom bouncing harnesses on the Ottawa & St Lawrence for walleye. Tie my own and use patterns that have been very successful for me. Here's a sample of some of my favorites -

For those of you who also tie their own rigs -

Do you find that color is important and of course do you have your own style of bead arrangement. What about colored hooks?

Last edited by McQ on Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Boy am I curious - 80 views and not one single comment - doesn't anyone fish walleye around here?
Weeder
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Weeder »

There, you now have a response.

I have used bottom bouncing harnesses, Lindy Rig's, etc and never had a lot of luck with them. However, I have had plenty of walleye luck simply using an orange jig and a white grub, occasionally tipping it with a worm or a minnow. Float around in the pockets and jig away...Works for me.
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Bottom Bouncing

Post by McQ »

Thanks Weeder, I don't feel so lonely now.

I'm a big fan of jigging too, but only once a school is located or at least after repetitive bites on a trolling run. Could it be that BBing is a subject that should be discussed in a little more detail. I know that a number of fishermen who I've had the chance to fish with using this method have increased their catch ratio quite dramatically.

There is a bit of apprenticeship involved in the proper use of a bouncer and should the interest level warrant it - I'd be glad to cover the details.

See the thread "Bottom Bouncing" Science & Application for a primer.
Last edited by McQ on Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

I admit to being a jigger too, McQ. :oops:

But when I do go with the blades, it's green, and attached to a three-way swivel. Recently I have read somewhere where orange has been favoured in colour testing so I will likely be re-stocking wih orange to diversify.

And if you feel up to it, more info on bottom bouncing would be appreciated. I've got them and never use them.
Last edited by Fishhawk on Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Walleye - Bouncing and Spinning

Post by Seaweed »

I read the piece you posted McQ and I have also visited your site. You have an amazing way with words and I enjoy reading your stuff.

I have noticed that Quebec fishing techniques and Ontario fishing techniques differ quite dramatically when trolling for walleye.

I personally tried bottom bouncers only once an found them way to awkward to work with and gave up. My loss I am sure because I have read how they really can increase the size and number of fish caught.

I just try to work with different lip sizes to try to get down to where Mr. Walleye is and with help from many articles I have read on this board and other sites on the internet I am getting better and better.

I remember growing up in Quebec where I would see the guys down there trolling these furry little bumble bee looking things with worm at the end and a couple of spinners out front and they swore by them for walleye in fast water. I recently saw one and bought it and I still have one bottom bouncer that I am willing to try to use again. I sure would welcome you submitting a storie to Fish-Hawk's Tips and Tricks area that might help me to get a better idea on how to use this rig.

Flourscent Orange Worm Harnesses rock.
roughrider
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by roughrider »

I also tie my own harnesses but I don't bb much as I troll them with my basin setups. I use fireline with circle hooks,red small beads and gold or silver blades on interchangable clevises. I use leadcore to get them down along with downriggers if I have too,I do not like in line weights over 1/2 oz because the drop when zigzaging is too abrupt for me. Being in Quebec have you ever fished Lac Sinard above North Bay,great Basin bite! Stayed at Grassy Narrows Lodge. I take any eye info I can get my hands on!
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Walleye - Bouncing and Spinning

Post by Manny »

Seaweed wrote:I remember growing up in Quebec where I would see the guys down there trolling these furry little bumble bee looking things with worm at the end and a couple of spinners out front and they swore by them for walleye in fast water. I recently saw one and bought it and I still have one bottom bouncer that I am willing to try to use again. I sure would welcome you submitting a storie to Fish-Hawk's Tips and Tricks area that might help me to get a better idea on how to use this rig.
It's funny you mention this Seaweed, when I worked at LeBarons, these things were so much in demand it was incredible, and don't thik that suggesting any other rig would get poeple to substitue, it's was the bumble-bee harness or nothing.

Bottom bouncers really rock, you just basically drag an offering on bottom, hardly ever snagging until you drag the rig in front of a fish. Great search tool, once you found a few and set up bouy markers, then your good to go with jigs and rigs.
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Beads & Blades

Post by McQ »

roughrider, did you mean Lac Simard - the answer is no but it's one of the areas I want to get to next summer. With a million lakes in Quebec getting to fish them all is a task I look forward to but don't think I'll really be able to pull off in this lifetime.

Thanks for the compliment Seaweed, I'm of the opinion that we become better at using different tactics after a little practice time. I look towards gaining information on a very broad basis, there are no bad methods only more productive ways to apply them. This sure ain't rocket science..

Manny, I could never figure out why those bumble bees were so popular other than they were yellow. I've been using a blade type spinner since 1955 - one type or another, but that's another story EH !
Last edited by McQ on Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ken & Jo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ken & Jo »

I too have been enjoying your posts McQ. Very informative and excellent topics. I've been meaning to give bottom bouncers a serious try....I tried them ONCE and found they were too heavy. Mind you, I was casting and retrieving with them like I was using a normal spinner. :oops: The Walleye action on the Bay of Quinte has slowed considerably and I suspect that they've moved to the deeper water which I've yet to really try. I'll be giving it a shot this weekend. I'll let you know how they worked out.

Ken
barblessbob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by barblessbob »

i've been bot bouncin for about 10 yrs now.
i make my own bouncers 2- 9 oz. and i also tie my own harnesses,
3-6 ft.
i usually put a small float, with a small stinger hook, adds in preventing snags, and easier to hide hook in bait.
i use mainly colorado blades, all sizes. have used smaller willow
colour white is my # 1 in the summer , blue, orange, brass, silver
also combos work very well , black/white, orange/ white, red/black
i have a batch of hammered silver hatchet (sp) blades which i will tie this winter for next season, have yet to try a hatchet
i always put red or orange beads on harness- to reprisent gills/perch belly
i fish mainly in the ottawa river and in the gatineau, in heavy current occasionally, in holes as deep as 60 ft = 9 oz , but use 2-3 oz majority of the time , 7 ft med rod , abu 5500, 20 lb superbraid

trolled very very slowly, most my fish are caught trolling upriver
i am curious if anyone else has been catching on the same pattern?
my 2 cents for what its worth nofish
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

Here's an exert from an article I wrote awhile back. Pretty much states my thoughts as far as tipping the percentages in your favor.

In-Fisherman magazine produced a very well researched and tested article a number of years ago that pointed out just what the best bait colors should be under ideal conditions. The article explained the rod and cone make-up of the walleye eye and their ability to distinguish colors. The walleye "eye" lacks yellow and blue cells which in essence creates a color blindness situation and places their perceptible vision in seeing things in a range of reds or greens. Now if we accept the theory that the spectrum of color vision is affected by depth and start at red, orange, yellow, green, blue, etc. The question becomes what will they see as you progressively fish deeper water. Red is visible to a depth of about 15’ in clear water and blue is identifiable in very deep situations as long as there is light penetration.

In my experience the most important element of good harness design is the color of the beads, how they are arranged and what blade color complements that basic choice. This single factor is the most important when you are trying to get a walleye to eat your bait.

If our choice is to create high percentage opportunities for our baits to encourage walleye to bite then isn’t it logical to use the colors that fit the middle of the visible spectrum -orange/yellow/green and isn’t it amazing that these color choices represent perch colors in their natural element. Perch are the one constant as far as forage in a walleye fishery and their range of use of the water column also duplicates the higher opportunity water elements for walleye activity.
Last edited by McQ on Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roughrider
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

McQ Lake Simard

Post by roughrider »

Yep thats the place. My brother found this place 4 years back with friends of his that have fished here for years.They actually turned alot of these people onto basin trolling. Most of the locals jig fish mud flats off the deep water edges until the boys took 300 eyes 1 year trolling rapala taildancer's and walleye divers over deep basins. They actually sold all their taildancers one year to the lodge owner. Fish are stacked around island areas once you find them,watch for the birds feeding on the surface,that is a tell tale sign eyes are gorging on minnows and you will also see the minnows breaking the surface at sunset, if the wind is light, look out action is non-stop for an hour. Caution is advised to anyone fishing this open area as it can blow up pretty bad, advise 16ft min.deep V's.. I tried BBing at the lodge and caught small sauger's but no eyes but others have taken eyes around the lodge. Basin bite peaks mid- august.
McQ
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by McQ »

roughrider, I can see we are in for a fun hard water period this year. Trading tactics with you and all of the other guys/gals is going to be a blast.