Some of the Biggest "No-No's"

Various Tips either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

fashion! You would think that a season opener would be cause for celebration, but fishing in a thong can scare the hardiest fish away! :wink: :wink: :lol:
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

orrsey wrote:Wolfe,
As much as you fish Wolfe lake I would have thought you fish fairly deep. Wolfe lake has a really good day time bite for walleye, but you have to get to the 30ft range to get them to bite. It takes time to find them most days (for me anyway) but once you do it usually pays off.
Ouch :!: ... chastisement from my pal, Orrsey! :lol: It's SO true, Orrsey, I know! That's why I don't exactly slaughter the walleye on Wolfe. I fish for them exclusively in a.m. or dusk, when they come in to me. :lol:

I will make this the year I try new depths!!! Not sure how exactly, but I'll give it a crack instead of passing it up again.

Dave - God Bless the creative folks! Just look at some of the lures out there today. You sound like you'd put together some great musky baits!

Slush - does fishing in your underwear count? No thong, mind you! :lol:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

LOL Actually wolfe, it's not a bait exactly, but I HAVE created something I would love to market *L* I plan on testing it this summer a bit...

And nope, no one will ever know what this one is...

Ok I think Bondo knows, but he'll keep quiet *LOL*
Mike the 'Tender
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike the 'Tender »

Carlco wrote:Not getting out often enough to figure out the no no's :wink:
My thoughts exactly!!! :D
bottom feeder
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bottom feeder »

I probably change lures too often without giving 1 a chance. Last summer I fished 1 whole day with a tube and nailed more bass than Normal, usually after a few casts I would change up.
I have also never sharpened a hook
tsk tsk
Norm
skooter
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by skooter »

:D :D

Banana's ......:shock:

Yup, ......ya gotta shed a whole winter of eating banana's whenever you want, ...and leave 'em at home while you're in the boat, .... :lol: :lol:

Besides that, .....probably everything that's been mentioned above, :? ....except the pliers.... :wink:
Sprocketman
Participant
Participant

This is great ......................

Post by Sprocketman »

I think this is the best topic for a thread in a long time .............Makes you think ......and it is nice to see you are not the only one that does some of those simple bad unbreakable habits.............like never getting past the six spot you usually fish ..........always run out of time ,instead of starting the day by looking for a new one then going back to the old haunts ......................Did that the whole of last year .....
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Well thanks, Sprocketman (good name)!

I'm also guilty of returning to the same spots over, and over, year after year... :!: There are some where I'm not sure why I keep returning; maybe for the ONE time ONE good fish was hooked...? Don't know -- can't remember!

Has anyone made the foolhardy mistake of thinking rolling carp were trophy bass breaking water and tripping over themselves to cast for them? Or was it just me (and Brian)!? :oops: :lol:

W.
Sprocketman
Participant
Participant

I agree .....

Post by Sprocketman »

Those Carp are just at the same time as bass ........And If you ever took your boat in amunst them in the shallows ......Even with the best net hand and them with sex distracting them they are still Impossible to catch ......................But as far as the old haunts I guess I will just have to drive with blinders on till I get to new waters!!!!! Wish me luck
GreenBastard
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by GreenBastard »

Never, ever forget the tim hortons!
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Cheers Garmo!

Post by D-mo »

Ah .. giving your buddy a bottle of Dr.Juice when you think he was asking for sun screen. He stunk like a perch.
D-mo
mdej
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by mdej »

1) Learning how the sonar works and how to read it.

2) Changing up to fast. For me I tend to not stick with a bait long enough.

3) Not accepting my buddy found the bait/colour/motion etc. Being bull headed, I sometimes watch him land them, but I won't use a similar setup.
scttsmpsn
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by scttsmpsn »

using the "w' work for pickeral. And another thing I think I want to start a new definition. I always spell it with an "a". Perhaps pickerel is what the yanks call them and those who don't know any better and pickeral with an "a" is what we call, what the french call doré.

I like it...I'll contact the MNR and tell them I've got it all settled.

Scott
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

scttsmpsn.....You're funny! :lol:

Yank's definitions here:

Chain Pickerel - averages 15-20" long. Gets name from dark, chain-like markings on sides & back. Prefers quiet waters w/ weed growth. Needle-sharp teeth in large mouths used for catching fish & some frogs.

Walleye - those other fish some Canucks called pickeral/pickerel.

:wink:

W.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Bottom Feeder and Mdej keep changing up those lures, you can always come back to it. My biggest no no is using the same old same old and not changing often enough :oops: Perhaps a happy middle ground is needed.