Backreeling

Various Tips either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Backreeling

Post by Pickerel Paul »

Any thoughts/opinions on backreeling :?:

A frequent poster on this board (from Ottawa area) told me about this about 24 years ago.
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

I dont think there is a need for it with the drags on today's good spinning reels. That's just me though.
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Yep!

Post by Cancatchbass »

I find myself backreeling often when hooked up to a good sized smallie on light line.

Something I've done for years- likely started when I owned reels with less-than-perfect drags.

Tom
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Backreeling

Post by eye-tracker »

Pickerel Paul wrote:Any thoughts/opinions on backreeling :?:

A frequent poster on this board (from Ottawa area) told me about this about 24 years ago.
This is a technique that works great for the soft mouth and light hook sets when walleye fishing.

I always lock down my drag on my spinning reels and back reel, as I do not want line twist or slip, it also allows me to keep even pressure on a walleye during the fight.

Over the years I have switched to primarily using quality bait casting (level-wind) reels for all my walleye fishing and found the drag is smooth and saves on most human errors when back reeling.

Back reeling takes some practice and you really need to know what you are doing if you jig'up a 10lb eye - when it makes a run you need to back-reel with it or you will pull the jig from it's mouth. :wink:

-et
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Used to back reel all the time in UK when Carp fishing. Easier to control a run, especially if the drag on the reel sufers from stiction (hard to start then too loose).
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

Used to back reel all the time in UK when Carp fishing. Easier to control a run, especially if the drag on the reel sufers from stiction (hard to start then too loose).
BBRich
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BBRich »

Wow you'd have to backreel pretty fast on some of those carp runs! :lol:
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pickerel Paul »

While looking through the large Musky pics at Big Jim Mclaughlins' sporting goods store, about 26 yrs ago, I couldn't help but ask Jim about drag settings on his reel.

He replied that he could catch the largest of fish with sewing thread!!

When I asked him to explain, he said that he wound the drag on his spinning reel spooled with 10lb test, as tight as possible, and backreeled, whenever the fish made a run.

I have found this technique invaluable,however; I do not wind my drag tight. I find an appropriate setting, and backreel as required, especially when it's a large fish getting close to the boat. They seem to get spooked at the sight of the boat, or the landing net. I have never lost a fish due to line breakage while backreeling.
Bruin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

can

Post by Bruin »

Can someone explain what backreeling is!!!!! :oops:
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

backreeling

Post by Jigs »

Hi Bruin:

What I think they mean is to reel backwards as the fish takes line as opposed to counting on your drag to work.

I suppose................ :?

But, I remember the days of no drag bait "casters" (so called), and we didn't back reel so much as lose 1/4 inch of skin off the thumb when mr. pikie took a run.

The reels I have, have good drags, and I must confess, my talent in back reeling is limited. Smashed a few knuckles with my old Mitchell 300, years ago trying to perfect the technique, so now I rely mostly on the drag.

If somone wants to start a backreeling class, I would certainly join. Long as it was free. And I didn't have to drive to it.

Nah.

:wink:
ratsotail
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ratsotail »

I've been watching this post for a few days and am surprised that more folks don't utilize this method of landing big fish on spinning tackle. I've lost too many really big fish over the years and decided to get rid of at least one of the excuses for "losing the big ones" when I read about the technique in a magazine years ago.

I lock my drags down tight now for the best hookset possible and the first tell tail sign that it's a big fish I flip the anti-reverse and real backwards when they make their runs. It's pretty easy to do with big bass, walleye, pike, etc... but if you're not careful when hooking a big catfish, carp, or striper (fish that can really take some line quickly in a run) you may have a couple bruised knuckles and, at worst, a rats nest. That's from the voice of experience.

After losing too many fish at the boat when they do that deep and quick dive when they see the boat and/or net I've found that backreeling is the solution! Give it a try... I think you'll be surprised and get better hooksets to boot!

ratsotail
ady
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ady »

ratsotail wrote:I've been watching this post for a few days and am surprised that more folks don't utilize this method of landing big fish on spinning tackle.
Couldn't agree more, this spring I switched from drag to back-reeling when I hooked a 40" Sturgeon on 8lb pickeral tackle. So much more responsive when the fish decides to run.
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pickerel Paul »

Backreelin' Class starts..... :roll: ....... -------> Now!

Well, I wouldn't wind the drag tight ( I'm talkin' spinning reels here, cause I feel that with level winds, you can manage heavy line).

Now, when you set the drag on a spinning reel, it is a compromise.

If you adjust the drag to slip, say, close to the boat, where the fish is more apt to put up a struggle, then that drag setting will be too tight, if you hook a fighter, while trolling, at a distance of 60'-100' behind the boat.

That's when you reach over with one hand and begin to loosen the drag, to compensate for the overpulling fish.
You worry he will snap your line.

Now, as the fish gets closer, you will now notice that the drag, is now too loose. So, you reach over and tighten the drag, so you can reel, without the darn thing slipping, all the time.

The point is, there is no perfect setting.

By setting the drag, on the tight side (allow room for some slippage), you can immediately resort to big fish fighting mode, by, flipping the anti-reverse switch/button/lever to the off position, and when Mr. Big, goes for that sudden line ssssssssssssssnapping lunge, you simply remove your hand from the handle, and let him pull away.
Some caution needs to be exercised, so as not to let the spinning handle go out of control, near the end of the run, so as not to cause a bird's nest in the line. :wink:
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

back reeling

Post by Jigs »

:shock: I can see myself reaching over to flip to free spool and getting a finger caught. Power pro don't break. Oww.

Ok, I just graduated from class, but: The majority of fish I catch are bass, none of which are going to be so huge I have to rely on back reeling. I set the drag so they can pull if they are strong enough, and place thumb on spool or grab the spool (in case of spinning reel) to set the hook.

If a really big pike or muskie grabs it, I don't want it anyway, so g'day to youse I say, swim away; with or without my plastic worm. Since leaders are no longer used by me, they will also take my hook. And that's too bad if they are hooked deeply. Really not a whole lot one can do about that.

Ifn you are a dyed in the wool back reeler, have at it by all means. It is probably a good technique when used properly.

Just don't bother me for splints and bandages when I'm fishin. :lol:

Jigs. :idea:
Paya
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Paya »

Interesting conversation:

I haven't use back reeling technique in years. With today's reels I don't think you need to use this technique unless bottom fishing for carp , salmon or some of bigger speaces.This is the only time you might want to have your drag set very tight to ensure perfect hook set.
While spinning if you drag is too loose you might loose some of fish if hook is not set very good but most of the time I hold line with my finger to ensure good hook set.
I don't like to hold my reel or drag but I do prefer drag system on the top of the reel instead of back