Barbless hooks

Various Tips either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
Flyboy
Participant
Participant

Barbless hooks

Post by Flyboy »

Hi everyone...been awhile since I've been on, glad to see it's still so popular.

Well I thought I would share my conversion to barbless experience. For those already using this common sense method, my apologies for my late start. For those still using barbs, get with it. I've been hammering them lately, mainly SM, and I might lose 5-10%, however most are my fault. In hindsight, I think barbs make us a little lazy with the old 'tight lines' addage.

The best part, is that after a quick look, the hook slides out like butter. No damage, and the fish is back in the water in seconds. I had a bad night at the start of the season that likely left a few fish hanging on for dear life. Even with cutters you might leave a shard in their mouth, and their done.

And...you don't need to buy barbless hooks, a quick squeeze with needle nose pinches the barb and you're in business.

- Pat
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Pat,

Just a word of advice, if you're fishing any of the "barbless only" areas (i.e. the Grand R.), be sure you do a shirt test with your hooks to ensure that they are indeed barbless. If you can pierce your shirt with your hook and it comes out clean you're safe, otherwise the COs are lible to hit you for a hefty fine.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

I've heard that they use a Q-tip to test how barbless your hooks are. If any cotton is snagged, so are you! :shock:

I've been fishing barbless for almost 20 years now and I can honestly say that I don't lose many fish due to it.
Time's fun when you're having flies.
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

I can say I am a novice float and and fly fisherman, but I am also very conservation minded... when the bite is really on the barbs come off, much more enjoyable to get that fish back in quickly and efficiently. I must admit though I just started doing it this year.

Cheers,

Rich
Tyttor
Participant
Participant

Post by Tyttor »

I have only started pinching the barbs on my hooks this year. One thing I found is that most of the time the barb will snap off when I use the needle-nose pliers, so there is just a bump left on the hook.

I think it is much better, especially when you hook a little 5 inch fish and he's got the entire fly in his mouth.