Are you going to give fly fishing a try?

Various Tips either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
LostFisherman
Participant
Participant

Are you going to give fly fishing a try?

Post by LostFisherman »

As someone fairly new to the sport I have found out some very interesting facts I'ld like to share with anyone who is going to give fly fishing a try.

#1-Don't try to teach yourself! Bad habits are hard to break. When it comes to casting hire a qualified teacher for a few hours. It will be money well spent.

#2- Read the posting some of the guy's on the board here make and compare them. You will find a group of them will be telling you the exact same thing. These are people who do this all the time and know what they are talking about. Some of the information they have given me has helped save a trip from going down the tubes.

#3- Price doesn't make the gear you buy work any better. BALANCE is the key to fly fishing. A well balance cheaper outfir will out perform a top of the line high dollar one. When you go to buy a rod and reel find a place that carries several brands in the size and weight that your looking for and get them to let you try them all out before buying one. Recently I bought a new 8 #wt 9' rod. The place I bought it from the guy had me try out 5 rods using the same reel to cast with. All of these rods were top name brand and high dollar rods. You would think they all would cast the same. Wrong! 2 of them I couldn't cast to save my soul and 1 I couldn't get any distance without the line colapsing on the forward cast. When I finally got done I was down to 2 rods one was a St. Croix and the other Sage. There was a big difference in price between the two. I choose the SageXP. Next we did the same thing with reels and again it came down to balance and what felt good in my hand. My original goal was to get a Lamison Velocity but the Galvan OB-5 felt better to me.

#4- When it comes to what line to use, listen to the guys on the board here who fish the waters you do. They know best!

#5- What type and size flies to use? Again listen and ask the guys on the board here, again they know first hand.

#6- When you see postings from TroutSlayer,Mosquitoe, and Fishboy read them! These guys are a great source of information and aren't trying to sell you something like a Fly Shop or Bait Store is in bussiness for.

All this is my personal observations, but have found it very helpful. If in doubt on what to do I would recomend asking the guys on the board here and you may be very surprised on the help and information they will give you. They are very dedicated fly fisherman and will help you enjoy the sport. Also if there are any classes in your area for learnning on how to read a stream for TROUT FISHING I would recommend taking it. What we think we know about it from our normal fishing years tends to go out the window when it comes to fly fishing. As someone from here once told me, "Welcome to the Darkside". (TS) I hope this helps anyone and good uck on your future of fly fishing.

LostFisherman