Braided Line Spinning on Spool

Various Tips either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Braided Line Spinning on Spool

Post by SteveO »

Fish-hawkers:

Lately I switched to braided line. First time out, I noticed that when I tightened my drag beyond a certain point, and pulled on my line the entire spool of braided line rotated on my reel.

I am using a spinning reel. My plan is to unspool the line and rewind it, applying more tention as I wind. Hopefully that fixes it.

Is this a common problem? What is the best remedy?
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Steve.....put some monofilament line on first(just enough to cover the spool) and then the braid. Your problem will then be solved. :)
Piker
Participant
Participant

Post by Piker »

This is a common problem. I don't know why it happens. There are two fixes I know of.
1. Use a monofiliament backing. A few feet of mono wound on the reel before your braid will stop the slippage. The knot you use to tie the braid to the mono is crucial. I know how to do it but I don't remember what it is called.
2. Wrap a turn or two of electrical tape on the reel before winding on the braid. Simple and effective.
SteveO
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveO »

Thanks Bowzog and Piker. Big help! I knew you guys would have the answer. :wink:
aciddrop
Participant
Participant

Post by aciddrop »

I usually just put wrap mine around the line hook on the reel works for me. Wrap it around twice and spool, still leave room under the hook if you want to stick your line in it for storage later.....if you ever put your rod away. :D
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Hey StevO,

Great problem to have solved. I too put backing on all my spools that I use braided line with. Not only does it prevent these spool turns, but it also allows you to use less braid and therefore have enough for 2 or 3 spools. :D

Cheers,
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)