For all you ice fishing nuts

Various Tips either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
Viper
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

For all you ice fishing nuts

Post by Viper »

Found this on another site and decided to pass it on.

But I think they forgot something -- so I added Tip 11 :roll: :D

10 Pre-Ice Fishing Tips
By Tim Allard

With autumn coming to a close, ice fishing season is just around the corner. Now's the time to audit your gear and make sure your organized for first ice action. To help you get ready, here's a list of 10 things I do to get ready for the hard-water.

1. Charge up your batteries
It's recommended that during storage in the off season, you periodically charge batteries used in flashers and underwater camera systems. If you've been neglecting your batteries, charge them right away. While you're at it, give your electronics an overhaul and make sure everything is in working order. Without these tools you'll be fishing blind.

2. Give your auger an overhaul
Whether you use a manual or a gas-powered auger, give it an overhaul before the ice hits, checking blades and tightening screws. For a power auger, start it up, make sure you've got a spare spark plug and enough oil for the season. If there's anything wrong with your gas auger get it serviced right away by an authorized dealer.

3. Spruce up the shelter
It's a good idea to check your portable shelter and get it out of storage to make sure everything is in working order. Things that you might have forgotten about since your last outing (like a tear in the material) or storage surprises (like mice nesting in the unit) are problems to be dealt before your first ice trip of the season. Simply assemble the hut and check for tears in fabric, tighten bolts and nuts, ensure the tow rope is ok, and so on.

4. Get your accessories ready
Take some time to ponder your past trips and stock up on items you need for ice fishing. Here are a few suggestions: a headlamp with fresh batteries, a thermos, a warmer pair of boots, a new ice scoop, a minnow bucket and net, a tackle storage bag and see-through plastic tackle boxes.

5. Get your safety gear in order
Don't neglect your safety gear. Make sure you've got ice picks, a throw line, a 2-way radio batteries with fresh batteries, a first aid kit, and a bag of spare clothes in case you get wet.

6. Scout out lakes
With open water season still here take the time to investigate some lakes you plan on ice fishing. Mark good-looking spots in your GPS or on a hydrographic map and pay close attention to where there are still healthy weeds; these spots are prime at first ice.

7. Check your rods.
Did you bust a rod last year that you haven't replaced yet? Well now's the time to carefully inspect all your fishing rods, replacing any broken ones and adding to your collection. Also, to keep your rods organized and protected consider buying a rod carrying case, like HT's Rod Locker or Tackle Tote.

8. Spool up your reels.
Put some fresh line on your reels. Remember to first put a layer of mono backing on if using braid. You might also want to lube reels up with a cold temperature grease.

9. Get your tip-ups ready
Hopefully you didn't store tip-ups in the heat over the summer. If so, and you're using underwater models, they might have leaked grease and will need to be lubricated. Also, check that you've got enough line on the spools.

10.Organize and overhaul your tackle.
Go through your tackle and make a list of what's missing (do you have enough lures as well as terminal tackle). Stock up on these items now before tackle shops run short once ice season is in full swing. Once you've got your tackle, get it ready by popping paint out of lure eyes, sharpening hooks, and organizing it in storage cases.

These are just 10 things you can do to be better prepared for the beginning of ice season this year. Take some time now to get organized, and have a great hard-water season this year.

Tip 11 -- Or just hibernate until the water is soft again. :twisted: :twisted: :D

http://www.ontariofishing.net/news/nov2006-1.html
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pickerel Paul »

Sharpen your hooks!!
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

viper.

thanks for those 10 step........

there been done since july..... :roll: 8) .

sharp your hook is a great extra one ,tall paul... :wink:

shop for new ice fishing toys.... :P

the preparation is a lot off fun to...... :P

looking at the temp forcast.......wen is the first ice good anaught to stand on......... :o

joco
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymike »

Wake up buddy make sure he or she knows its time
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pickerel Paul »

Up Northern Ontario, they say the ice is safe to go on when all the Frenchmen stop breaking through!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Hey Pickerel Paul Up in Northern Ontario where I am from, we go ice fishing when the ice is safe and we are not Bigots because a frenchman or an englishman it doesn't matter because to us we are all humans!!!!!

Merci Beaucoup, et bonne peche cet hiver!!!!!! pis ci t'as pas rien de mieux a dire!! Farme ta gueule!!!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Walleye Boss: I think you meant that we both fall threw the ice the same...straight down...SPLASH!! :oops:
Fishing isn't a matter of life and death....
It's much more important.

ORWL
muskymike
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by muskymike »

we know what Wally said and hes right
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pickerel Paul »

Baisse mon Q, ton père est bossu, mange de la marde ta mère est malade.

Je vais te gagé j'ais demeuré au nord, bien plus longtemps que vous, messieurs. Je suis bien plus Francophone que tois. Et sais comment éppeler.
JimmyBuffett
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by JimmyBuffett »

Whoa Lads :wink: Jokes are Jokes, lets slow er down a couple a knots :wink: :lol:

Rich
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Pickerel Paul »

I'm just joking! I apologise if I offended anyone.
I just figured, that, hey, since I am French I can joke about my own nationality!
But apparently not.

Oops, I almost forgot:

http://www.i-hate-france.com/jokes.html

:oops: