Pike Ice Fishing Bait

Various Tips either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
Pickerel Paul
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Like I mentioned B4 Dead bait 4 Pike Rules

Post by Pickerel Paul »

Bump
Lief
Participant
Participant

good stuff!

Post by Lief »

I'm new to this forum, so this is old news by now. But thanks for the great advice. Also I'll pass along this one Smelts like were talking about work great for big channel cats too. A while back a buddy and I were rigging them up on treble using some spider thread and using a jumbo sized slip rig to fight the river current and caught a few that would have gone for new ontario records had we known the record was so small! Why catch channel cats well they're big and easy to catch fight like hell and fill in some of the dead time betwwen the rainbow run and the opening of other stuff.
shoe
Participant
Participant

Post by shoe »

does anyone know how the weather is in canada,,around the perth area..crotch lake, is where im going 3rd week of may how cold any bugs,, an what to use for pike or walleye..thanks
shoe
Participant
Participant

Post by shoe »

does anyone know how the weather is in canada,,around the perth area..crotch lake, is where im going 3rd week of may how cold any bugs,, an what to use for pike or walleye..thanks
Andy_L
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Andy_L »

hey Shoe...there will be a few of us there that weekend as well...are you staying at tumblehome???

should be cool in the evenings/nights....could even be cold (not likely to be below freezing though. days should be warm but not hot

bugs? oh yeah....no doubt LOL

you should post your question to the main fishing talk forum btw...you would get much more response there
BrianS
Participant
Participant

minnows

Post by BrianS »

Hey i got a good technique.....

hook the minnow/smelt just in front of the dorsal fin...
Stuff a weight in its mouth (push it in there with pliers if needed)
It will make the bait nose down and bounce realistically on the bottom. and it helps get it down to the bottom. They seemed to like that better then just dead stick style( have FISH TV so i got to actually see what they prefered) That and if they dont seem to be comming around. try bringing the bait up about ten feet and letting it drop to the bottom repeat about ten times and they will come running. Again.... had fish tv so im not lying. BTW fish tv is kinda cheating but it took a day from one pike to 14 so i dont care.