Quick Tip - Home made Spinnerbait Trailer Hooks

Various Tips either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Quick Tip - Home made Spinnerbait Trailer Hooks

Post by jig head »

Tip-up and I made some spinnerbait trailer hooks. It was a fairly simple process and the end result was awesome. Supplies were simple and cheap. The materials included:

- Mustad 2/0 or 3/0 hooks
- Heat shrink tubing 3/16''
- Crazy glue
- Scissors and needle nose pliers (Pliers to clinch gap on the ring of the hook)
- Lighter

Step 1: Pre-Close gaps on all the hooks with needle nose pliers and cut all heat shrink tubing into pieces just big enough to fit over the ring.

Step 2: One by one, place a dab of glue on the ring of the hook and cover with the small piece of heat shrink tubing.

Step 3: Heat until heat shrink fully encloses over the ring of the hook. Voila, you will never miss a bass or pike on a short strike again :!:

Here are a few pics:

Tight Lines
Anthony
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Awesome! Thanks guys :wink:
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

Great tip guy's I personally use a small piece of sergical tubeing ( the small diameter kind used on floats) How does the shrink wrap hold up? Can the hooks be removed and reattatched to another lure without redoing the shrink wrap? I know that after removing the hook and reattatching to an othe lure the tubing seems to loose some of its grip. A new piece of tubeing solves the problem and is easy and quick to change :wink:
jig head
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by jig head »

Len, If you want to use these on another lure after thats fine. The heat shrink really seems like it is going to hold up. I have been using the surgical tubing for the past few years and love it, but it won't hurt to try something new :D