repainting Lures

Various Tips either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
boozer
Participant
Participant

repainting Lures

Post by boozer »

Im not sure if were the only ones that do this, but when we make our trips to canada, mainly fishing for pike. we will start trolling for the first 2 days, and when we see what colors are working, we'll take som old spoons or crank baits, and start repainting them, to the colors they fish seem to like. Theres just something special about catching a fish on something that you made. it makes it all the more worth while. besides i usually buy the cheap cabelas spoons that. the paint usually falls off after the first couple of cast. and save them to repaint. be creative. I always take along a models paint set. and even the kids get involved in the painting.
Usually the hot colors to have for pike is Lime green, Yellow. Orange, and firetiger. I just made up some tonight that im really excited to try when i get up there next week.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

I always carry permanent markers in my tackle box. It's funny how a wavy line or a couple of dots can do to change the contrasts of a lure.
lydg131
Participant
Participant

Post by lydg131 »

Hey Boozer, try pink the pike seem to hit it good east of smith falls. I like to use a white spinnerbait with a bubble gum or pink trailer. I fish it along weed lines in and along the channel. It works really well for me. Chartreuse with the same color trailer is good too.
boozer
Participant
Participant

Post by boozer »

I just got dont painting up some hammernickle spoons, I started out yellow, then orange, and red on the bottom. all blended together. they sure look pretty. but like most lures, it seems like they are more intended to catch the fishermans eye then the fishs eye. cant wait to try them out next week.