Tips to building your own Tip-ups!!

Various Tips either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
Leechman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Tips to building your own Tip-ups!!

Post by Leechman »

For those who want to build their own tip-ups, here is the material you will need:

1 - 1" x 2" x 4' of pine wood
2" finishing nail
Plastic reels (Wal Mart sells them for $2.99 each)
Metal eye (screwing type)
Paint

Tools you'll need:

Press drill with 3/32" & 1/2" bit
jigsaw with fast cutting blade
Sand paper (corse and fine)

First, proceed in cutting 1"x 2" into 23" length. This will give you your base and top.
Second, using the jigsaw, score the top of the 1" x 2" across about 1/2" deep in the middle. Using a piece of corse sand paper, folded in 2, enlarge the mark by passing the paper into it. You will have to fold it again so that the nail can be inserted freely. Test as you go.

Third, proceed in creating the notch at the top of the base. Measure 2" down and drill a hole in the middle using the 1/2" bit. See picture:

Now you'll be able to use the jigsaw and cutout the rest of it. See results on next picture:

Fourth, the top is straight forward, cut the 1"x2" in half, length wise or if your like me, design and cutout your own pattern. See my pattern on next pic:

Fifth, measure and mark the middle of the top piece, drill a hole using the 3/32" bit and insert the nail. Verify that the top is balanced by sitting it on top of the base. You will have to drill more holes going towards the back because the spool and line is not installed yet.

Sixth, paint the base white and the top a dark color (will be easier to see when the fish strikes). Once dry, install the spool and the metal eyes. See pictures:

Here is the finish product:

Fish Finder :)
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Hey F-F are those for me............... :wink: :lol:
Leechman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Leechman »

Bass Addict wrote:Hey F-F are those for me............... :wink: :lol:
No but if you want some, I can make you some :wink: :lol:

FF
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

hey fish finder!

i love you tip ups !!

but i still love my 2x10 heavy wood tip ups with rusted nails and unsanded edges so that everytime i get one i get a piece of wood in under my skin!!

the weight is a plus its like a lil trainning carying them aroud all the time!!

you talk about balancing your tip ups al the time!!

whats the difference once the line is in the water ?? balenced or not the fish will hit once hes see'S the bait!

anywho! i love how your always running ofr oyur tip-ups yet its only the wind moving them!

at least you dont have to buy windlass tip-ups your are so light and balanced they move by themselves!!

good job and thanx for the step by step!!! 8)
Leechman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Leechman »

Fishing 24/7 wrote:hey fish finder!
i love you tip ups !!
but i still love my 2x10 heavy wood tip ups with rusted nails and unsanded edges so that everytime i get one i get a piece of wood in under my skin!!
the weight is a plus its like a lil trainning carying them aroud all the time!!
you talk about balancing your tip ups al the time!!
whats the difference once the line is in the water ?? balenced or not the fish will hit once hes see'S the bait!
anywho! i love how your always running ofr oyur tip-ups yet its only the wind moving them!
at least you dont have to buy windlass tip-ups your are so light and balanced they move by themselves!!
good job and thanx for the step by step!!! 8)
Hey 24/7, it's just a matter of preferences. I like mine balanced cause when I'm fishing with dead minnows and it's a bit windy, keeps the top moving by itself :wink: Also creates less resistance when the fish are bitting lite. :wink:

FF
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

They have to be perfectly balanced if you intend on using them for walleyes. I have a wire on top of mine with a rubber core sinker on it that I slide back and forth to balance them even better.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

i still odnt get it...

the fish comes to the minnow!

nibles it ...

bites it...

then the balance effect come into play..

balance = your tip up will move around more yes..

unbalance = you tip up will seem like you had a bumb!

balance = he wont have any resistance so he will be more tempted to swallow the minnow??

unbalance = the tip up will pull back the minnow creating a live effect! the fish will think the minnow is trying to ascape!!

in the end the fish has it in his mouth or dosent thats what i realised after all there outing we have been having !!

all the miss and the good hook setting ...

if the fish dosent want it that bad you going to miss him!

i dont care if oyu wait half an houre to set the hook or set it instantly!

if the hook is not in his mouth correctly your basicly screwed!

iv had them all instant hook set and the type that you wait 5 minutes befor setting the hook!

trust me!

24/7
Leechman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Leechman »

Wallyboss wrote:They have to be perfectly balanced if you intend on using them for walleyes. I have a wire on top of mine with a rubber core sinker on it that I slide back and forth to balance them even better.
You are correct Wallyboss in saying that they need to be perfectly balanced for catching walleys. Eyes bite diffenrently from other species. They tend not to run with the bait once it's in their mouth.

Thanks for the tip :)

FF
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

And they drop the bait as soon as they feel any resistance.
Might not need to be balanced for a big pike but when a walleye is biting very light you need everything in your favor.

This weekend I watched a walleye take my bait on my underwater cam and I watched my rodtip and it never moved. I set the hook without even feeling the walleye and deep hooked him. A nice 15 incher for the frying pan.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

yeah but without a cam he would have eventualy started to swim with the minnow deep then your tip up would have moved!

right? :?:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

yeah but without a cam he would have eventualy started to swim with the minnow deep then your tip up would have moved!

right?

mabe not....the walleye could spit your minnow and you wont ever see it.

that is what happen wen its cold outside and your line is stock in thin ice..small bite.you dont see it at all.... :? .

the more ajustable you can have on your tip up the better it is..you can make it hard or very light.

joco
Last edited by joco on Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

ok i think i get it now!!!

ULTRA LIGHT for walleye!

unbalanced for pike!

and the rest well ill figure it out!!
8)
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

hey fish finder im definitly going to make a couple of thouse thanks for the tips