It's Thursday Night Tip Night on Fish-Hawk.Net

Various Tips either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's Thursday Night Tip Night on Fish-Hawk.Net

Post by Fishhawk »

What would you do in this scenario? This is a creek that clearly goes inland quite a ways. It's about 25 yards across for the most part, and two to three feet deep in the middle. Where the edge of the grass begins there is 2 feet of water. What do you do? :?:

There's probably about a million things that can be done to try and catch some good fish. Let's toss some ideas around here so that some people who have little fishing experience can cut the learning curve in half.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

How bout a spinnerbait?

Post by Fishhawk »

Definitely consider tossing a spinnerbait. Fan your casts across the creek from one edge to the other. Burn that sucker back so that its blade is making a wake.
Fishhawk
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

Well a small spinner bait would work well keeping it high..I like spinners and twitching body baits in the shallows as well...or top water blade baits to wait for the explosive hit..assuming we are fishing with artificials.. :D
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Scum frog all the way

Post by JP »

I would throw a scum frog like a frogzilla out on the grass and pads and wait for a big slurp or spash!!! :twisted: Also can flip the pads with a 3 1/2" tube and pop it along the base of some pads. Or my favorite thing is throw a flappin shad out just on the edge of the cover and twitch it slowly back to the boat. And of course u have to use scent.
Good fishin :!:
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
DUBIE
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DUBIE »

Fish hawk you hit it on the head. Thats what I would do to, But if its above 28* or hoter I would use a worm or a tube and slow down since the water is so shallow it would heat up quickly and the fish would turn off. And in my case if that did not work (but in most cases it does) I would throw every thing in the box till some thing works. :lol:
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Joisey Joe »

Does the Hawk ever run out of challenges? No! Now we're separating the boys from the men. Me, I would do one of two things, throw out a jointed Rapala with a nice easy slow return, or hook up a chub on about 18 inches of slack and sit back and light up a stogie. Ok, I would have a cigar in both scenarios! :lol: BigJoe.
slimer
Participant
Participant

what time is it?

Post by slimer »

I'd have one rod with a spinnerbait rigged and ready, but my first cast would be a big white slugo, don't know why but they work like crazy for me almost every time.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Scum frog all the way

Post by Fishhawk »

JP wrote:I would throw a scum frog like a frogzilla out on the grass and pads and wait for a big slurp or spash!!! :twisted: Also can flip the pads with a 3 1/2" tube and pop it along the base of some pads. Or my favorite thing is throw a flappin shad out just on the edge of the cover and twitch it slowly back to the boat. And of course u have to use scent.
Good fishin :!:
JP, I'm gonna guess that a flappin shad is like a Berkley Jerk Shad that I used to catch this big boy just outside this creek in the main part of the lake (Little Gull Lake). You can read about it in the Large Ones of Little Gull...http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawkshow/Littl ... l_gull.htm

And I agree with your choice of frogzilla. I don't use them much myself, adapting my tubes to do the same kind of thing, but I know a lot of guys that throw nothing else. Weed Demons too.
Fishhawk
sageman5
Participant
Participant

Post by sageman5 »

:twisted: would throw some plastics into the slop, lots of twitchin and watch for the rolls... and then haul their butt out to the boat. Oh yeah pray u don't get weed wraped!! sageman5 :!:
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

BigJoe2 wrote:Does the Hawk ever run out of challenges? No! Now we're separating the boys from the men. Me, I would do one of two things, throw out a jointed Rapala with a nice easy slow return, or hook up a chub on about 18 inches of slack and sit back and light up a stogie. Ok, I would have a cigar in both scenarios! :lol: BigJoe.
Oh, I wouldn't look at this as a challenge - I look at this as trying to deliver in a fun and informative way, exactly what you, BigJoe2, said you wanted in the way of a tip. And look what you're getting? If we insert a few pics of tackle, like a jointed rap, someone from Mars would be able to follow the conversation and learn from it.

As for the jointed rap - if you are patient and just let the thing sit still with the scattered twitch, you should be OK. But if I recall, Bobber and I had to quit using the trolling motor to navigate because it was getting choked with a really weak, thin grass. But a twitch, slower than slow retieve, that wouldn't catch the grass, would probably be deadly for the person with lots of patience...and a big stogie :wink: What do you think of the idea to build a tip this way? Kind of fun for me.
Fishhawk
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: what time is it?

Post by Fishhawk »

slimer wrote:I'd have one rod with a spinnerbait rigged and ready, but my first cast would be a big white slugo, don't know why but they work like crazy for me almost every time.
For sure - if you don't like to rig a weedless slug of some sort, you don't know what you're missing. You ever try the pink ones? I think pink was a good colour last summer, one I never used at all. But I saw a lot of guys saying they were catching piles of fish with pink worms and slugs. I like black and smoke slugs the most, but carry blue, brown, yellow, green, purple, indigo, fuscia... :lol:
Fishhawk
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

For the open water I would have a spinnerbait,shallow crankbait,twitchbait and maybe a pop-r with my main bait being the spinnerbait,however I do not expect to spend much time fishing the middle.

My favorite area to fish would be the weed and would approach with power worms,slug-o's,tubes,and a scum frog(gotta love the topwater action with the frog).

Depending on the weather and time of day,I would expect almost all of the action to be in the weeds and sometimes near the edge as it is not at all deep in the middle and there is no weed.
Lucannus
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lucannus »

I would buddy up to each of the weedline and stop.

One rod would throw a buzz bait in a fan starting at the middle of the creek right to the edge. Since its a buzz bait you can thro wit a little slower and keep a noise and wake going. If no follows or smashes I would.

Pickup my other rod and pitch a scum frog to back bank and bring it through. If its a nice sunny day, letting it sit on the edge of a lilly pad will cast a nice shadow underneath, if they don't strike it on the leaf I would pop it into the water ( like frog jumping ) and let sit for 5 secs before moving it!

If all that does work, head deeper into the creek and try again.

Since I parked up close on once side to go through I could try the other side on my way out!
slimer
Participant
Participant

I'd try pink

Post by slimer »

I like using white cause I can follow the lure back to the boat, I love seeing the strikes, I'd try the pink though, My best color worm would be motor oil by far, never had any luck with black even though it's suppose to be one of the best, maybe I haven't really given it a chance.