It's Thursday Night Tip Night on Fish-Hawk.Net

Various Tips either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
slimer
Participant
Participant

can't wait

Post by slimer »

Don't know about you guys , but I sure wish I could be there right now, looks a lot warmer than the - 20's we've been in for way too long. plus my ice fishing this year has'nt been the greatest, tttooo cccold to spend any real time out there, the holes freeze up in like 5 minutes, no hut this year. :cry:
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

What I'd do

Post by Cancatchbass »

Here's what I'd do.

I wouldn't even pick up a rod until I found that "something special" that makes or breaks you in big creeks like these.

Actually, I'd be winging a spinnerbait diagonally ahead of the boat and burning it back, while keeping the trolling motor on high. But this would just be to kill time while looking for two specific things

1) a patch of slop so thick you think you could walk across it OR

2) a high bank (cliff is even better) with rock in with the weeds

For the slop I'd pound a 1 oz. jig right through the thickest sections.

For the rock/weed mix, I'd toss a T-rigged worm, with maybe a 1/8 oz. weight, into any openings- right tight to the shore.

Why fish the thickest slop? Despite the fact there is no lack of vegetation in the creek, it appears not to provide too much cover, especially if the water is clear. If the water is dirty or stained, the spinnerbait or other horizontal presentation is the way to go.

As for the second, worm scenerio- the type of spot mentioned often contains the deepest water in the creek, and bass seem to love that rock/weed combination. A gentle pitch and splashless entry, and HOLD ON!

Let me at 'em! Let me at 'em!

CCB- looking at the frozen St. Lawrence and shaking his head...
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Havin Fun

Post by Joisey Joe »

Hawk, I'm eatin this stuff up! It's great, and that's exactly what I'd do with the jointed, keep it on the surface, just enough to create a ripple effect. The Bass attack it like nobodys business. I might also throw a Spook at em, same action only noisier! By the way, where is that anyway? I need to be there now!! 8) BigJoe.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

The weather

Post by Fishhawk »

You're looking at the mouth of North Creek as it empties into Little Gull Lake. Go here and look at B4.

http://www.fish-hawk.net/Map_project/big-gull.htm

Some maps don't show it as Little Gull, but rather an extension of Big Gull.

A lot of people mentioned the weather. On that day it was close to 30 degrees (90F ???) and very overcast and humid.
And this discussion has been one of the funnest I've seen after BigJoe's Hawkey Talk.
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What I'd do

Post by Fishhawk »

Cancatchbass wrote:Here's what I'd do.

I wouldn't even pick up a rod until I found that "something special" that makes or breaks you in big creeks like these.

Actually, I'd be winging a spinnerbait diagonally ahead of the boat and burning it back, while keeping the trolling motor on high. But this would just be to kill time while looking for two specific things

1) a patch of slop so thick you think you could walk across it OR

2) a high bank (cliff is even better) with rock in with the weeds

For the slop I'd pound a 1 oz. jig right through the thickest sections.

For the rock/weed mix, I'd toss a T-rigged worm, with maybe a 1/8 oz. weight, into any openings- right tight to the shore.

Why fish the thickest slop? Despite the fact there is no lack of vegetation in the creek, it appears not to provide too much cover, especially if the water is clear. If the water is dirty or stained, the spinnerbait or other horizontal presentation is the way to go.

As for the second, worm scenerio- the type of spot mentioned often contains the deepest water in the creek, and bass seem to love that rock/weed combination. A gentle pitch and splashless entry, and HOLD ON!

Let me at 'em! Let me at 'em!

CCB- looking at the frozen St. Lawrence and shaking his head...
Ohhhhh Cancatch - you have fished a few tournaments haven't you? That thickest slop scenario with a one oz jig sounds very familiar to me. And would you have pork on that jig? Have a favourite colour?

As for the rock face forming like a wall into grass or lily pads...I know the scenario well. I pitch the bait (I'm a tube junkie) so that it hits the rock a few inches above the water and plops in real tight to the rock. DEADLY. In that rock scenario, I think you could throw just about anything. The biggest fish will be next to the rock.
Fishhawk
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Hawk, since you asked...

Post by Cancatchbass »

Yes, I've fished a few (150+/-). :lol:

As for the jig, I'd be using a Daves Tournament Tackle Flippin jig in black/blue with a black/blue 4" Power Craw- with an inch chewed off the tail-end.

The worm would be a blue fleck 7" Power Worm, rigged on a 4/0 Owner wide gap.

I checked the map and I'd love to spend a day in that creek.

CCB- so much water, so little time... :cry:
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

bradford wrote:Likely, if I was with spinner, he would be throwing a frog accross that stuff, or flipping a worm with a floating rattling head (I think thats what it was) and pulling out a 4 lb largie, while I flipped my tube into it and puled out 3 two pound largies. Lol, at least thats how it went quite a few times.

Seriously though, Given the weed cover on either sides of the creek,

a) how many of you would fish the water in between, and

b) would there be fish there?

obviously, these answers depend on a number of situations, such as weather conditions, and if there is any structure in the channel, etc. etc.

Brad
Bradford - on this particular day it was overcast so to me it made good sense to fan out with spinnerbaits from edge to edge before going into the cover. On an overcast day we were thinking that the bass would not be hanging close to cover.
Fishhawk
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hawk, since you asked...

Post by Fishhawk »

Cancatchbass wrote:Yes, I've fished a few (150+/-). :lol:

As for the jig, I'd be using a Daves Tournament Tackle Flippin jig in black/blue with a black/blue 4" Power Craw- with an inch chewed off the tail-end.

The worm would be a blue fleck 7" Power Worm, rigged on a 4/0 Owner wide gap.

I checked the map and I'd love to spend a day in that creek.

CCB- so much water, so little time... :cry:
CCB - DId you read about the time Bobber and I spent in there? It was pure adventure in that creek - what we manged to push my little Sea Nymph through was incredible. But we were sure there was a lake at the other end of it. Remember - we thought we were at another spot on the lake - one that does connect to another lake. We were forced to stop only when the blueberry bushes began to push us back. And that's where we caught a couple of small ones. What a time! :wink:
Fishhawk
freshwater shark
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by freshwater shark »

I would use a weedless hook and a 4-5 inch pork tail(white my fav.). Toss it out over them weeds and bring it back on top of them in a twitching jerking motion. I love watching the weeds explode and a huge fish come flying out. Ahhhhhh fishing.
Mike Lennox
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike Lennox »

Just found the thursday night tip section now :shock: pretty cool.
spinfishing- hula popper :lol:
flyfishing:bass popper,i'd definitely go in the evening, and well into the night.