Rigger set backs, cheaters, sliders and such

Various Tips either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
King Me
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Rigger set backs, cheaters, sliders and such

Post by King Me »

Lead lengths behind your rigger balls vary day to day but below I will post the general rule of thumb that I have used that work. I start with these leads and either shorten or length to what the fish want at that time.
Riggers Down: setback (from ball)
3'-10' down 55'-75' back
10-20' down 35-55' back
25-35' down 20-45' back
35-45 down 15-35' back
45-55' down 10-25' back
55+ down 10-15' back

The above down and back charter is for main lines. If I stack a rod on the same downrigger I will place the stacked rod 10' above the main and 10' farther back. example of a stacked rigger (2 rods) I used yesterday: deep rod 65' down and 12' back, second rod 55'down and 20' back.

Cheaters
These are deadly. to prove my point between Friday and saturday they took over 50% of my fish! I usually don't talk numbers but to drive my point home that was an extra 15 hook ups :shock: Before we go further on setting them up I must give a word of advice on hooking up while runnning these. REEL< REEL<REEL> set the hook a feww times and reel, set the hook again. reason being is that the cheaters have to slide down the main line until they hit the other lure (alot of "slack time"). some times the rod will not even pop out of the rigger release -it will just jump and bob around like crazy.
coffee brake (fingers tired) I'm back 8)
Rigging cheaters: Take a section of fishing line 6 to 8 foot long. I run 15 to 20 pound flourocarbon for my cheaters and sliders. On one end of the section of line attach a coast lock snap on the other end a snap swievel. Attach a spoon to the swievel end.
Now for running/seeting the rig;
First this setup should only be used on either a single rod/rigger combo or the highest stacked rigger rod - other wise tangle city!
lets say you are fishing 65 down and want to add a cheater to your spread. take the rod and let out 15' for your set back, attach to your release and lower rigger down 5-10 foot. Now take a #5 rubber band and half hich thru your main line (between rod tip and rigger release). Next attach the snap end of the cheater line thru the loop in the half hitched rubber band and your main line. This will hold it at that depth. toss the cheater/spoon out into the water and then just lower your rigger to the desired depth. When a fish whacks the cheater the rubber band will snap, the cheater will slide down to your main lure and you just fight the fish, your main lure holder the cheater.
Now if you get a release on the main lure, fight the fish till you can reach the cheater rig. a quick pull will bust the rubber band and you can fish reeling in your fish without the rubber band mesiing up your rod tip. Simple!
There are other methods to attach a cheater, I have tried them all over the past 20 years, the rubber bands seem to be the cheapest and easyest to use.
Sliders
A "slider" is the same set up as a cheater but with out the rubber band. You attach the snap end of the line thru your main line and it just slides "freely" down. the Natural bow in your mainline between the rod tip and rigger release creats this bow. The slider will slide down to about half the depth of your rigger.
Added note. to rig a free slider. Set up your rigger like normal 9lowered down) once it is set up (at depth you wish to fish) THEN attach the free slider.
A few points that will save headaches and put more fish in your boat. With cheaters. 5-8 foot above seems to be best except when you are cheater above a dodger or flasher rig. for this go with 10 to 12' above so it will not tangle with the flasher dancing around. Next point matching colors (same shades) work best. example black/silver main lure with black/white/glow cheater. same size lures work good or a mag/28 combo.
With sliders small spoons (nk28 size or smaller work best).
go get them and hope this helps.
Last edited by King Me on Sun May 23, 2004 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Laketrout »

I just don't get how you hook the cheater line onto your main line. This is off of 1 rod?
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

!

Post by Markus »

LT, one of the simplist cheater lines to use is a lure tied to a 4-6" piece of fishing line tied to a snap swivel.

After you have your main line rigged on the ball and lowered into place, just simply snap the swivel on the end of the cheater line to your main fishing line. Throw it out behind the boat. That's it.

The cheater line will not slide down to the cannonball. Your main line will have a natural arc in it from the rod tip to the cannonball clip. The cheater will work it's way to the top of this arc, but cannot go any further.
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Laketrout »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
So thats how you do it. I guess you use a flasher the same way?
PS
This is legal on inland lakes
Thanks
Last edited by Laketrout on Sun May 23, 2004 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

You can't run a flasher as a cheater line.

Only run a flasher off the ball and then yes, the line that snaps to the flasher is the same as a cheater line. I think this is what you meant. :?:
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Laketrout »

Might be.
:cry: this D.Rigging stuff is all new to me?
King Me
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by King Me »

I added to my above post so there is more info up there.
King Me
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by King Me »

Laketrout if you are ever going down to rochester area email me ahead of time and I will show you this stuff on my boat. 8)
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Laketrout wrote:Might be.
:cry: this D.Rigging stuff is all new to me?
Well you're doing great! :shock: :P

I'd be happy to head out with again and show you afew different types of set ups. Maybe when I'm back from Muskrat we'll do a morning together.

And thanks King Me! Great info to share.
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Laketrout »

King Me thanks for sharing all that info,you went above and beyond on your post! As for getting down your way,it won't be this year I'm afraid! But if you feel the need to come up my way let me know,we have a few extra bedrooms and would be pleased to put you up.
Markus
Yes we will have to get out,the one day we had planed turned out to be a no go,do to winds.
I'm leaving Friday and will be back the following Sat. After that I'm free for 2 weeks until I head out again.
Where is Muskrat ? What kind of fish are in it?
SALMON
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SALMON »

:D Muskrat Lake is near Cobden..nw of Ottawa. Sounds like pike,bass,walleye,laketrout,gar, and sturgeon...never been..but will find out soon...
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Laketrout »

Salmon
Have you been patroling on your bike this weekend?
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

King Me you have just been honored with the ultimate award given to a post. It’s now a sticky. Thanks for contributing such an educational post and congrads on the sticky.

JMHO
Last edited by Xenos on Fri May 28, 2004 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Things are getting a lot clearer(is that a word :oops: ) now!!!

THANKS Steve

BIG-O(Phil)<*!!!!!><
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Just a thing I was told about cheaters and sliders. The guys around me use a plastic bead between the two lures. Stops the cheater or slider from rubbing the finish off the lure on the main line and gives a little shock absorber when it get there on a hit.