Thursday night tips for Feb 27.

Various Tips either written by ourselves, or submitted by the community.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thursday night tips for Feb 27.

Post by Fishhawk »

A long day at The Show, a lot of talking...but here's the scenario...

It's overcast, windy, and there is two to three feet of water pushing loose grass and other debris into small mats. We lined ourselves up with the breeze and quickly drifted along in front of the edge of grass, 15 feet away...we tossed texas-rigged tubes.

What would you do?
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
JP
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Change up!!!

Post by JP »

Depending on how the bit is, I would throw a rocket shad(spinner bait )to start along the open water right by the grass and burn it back to the boat. If the bite is on, or if has been stable weather the last couple of days, I would flig a triple rattle back jig and pig into or under the mat of vegitation building up. Also look for open pockets within the grass where small 3 1/2" tube may work, rigged weadless.
If the bite is slow or a cold front has moved in, I would drag a tube along grass line, carolina rigged.
JP
Smile, It's a good day on the water!!
Joisey Joe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

HMMM!

Post by Joisey Joe »

Probably go with plastic worm(weedless), plastic crawfish or maybe live bait(no bobber). Might also try good old floating rapala too. BigJoe.
spinner
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by spinner »

If nothing was hitting in the open water on the way in,I would try flippin a jig and craw combo to the edges and openings.
Lucannus
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lucannus »

Going against the grain here I would throw a spinnerbait way out form the pile and attract some angry bass.

Fail on that I would switch to 8 inch black power worm and bounce it along the egde bottom and go for the slower hungry hit!
SteveC
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SteveC »

I like a Texas rigged power worm here. If that fails...

Give up once I realized that I can't fish. There's no fish in this stupid lake anyway. Go home and have a beer. (I'd have one on the boat but that would not be legal) :wink:
DUBIE
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DUBIE »

First would use the spinner baits, then the tubes close to the grass. If it was any thing like last year i would be catching more grass than fish but i think that ive got my new rod working now. :roll:
jazman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

hmmm

Post by jazman »

Well... messy optionbut I would throw a buzz bait, in between the mats. like say off the 416 bridge....mats and more mats.

Another option, if the water calmed a little, twitch and drag a rat over the mats.

Jazman
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Time to get right in close!

Post by Cancatchbass »

I would run the TM S-L-O-W-L-Y (just a crawl) into the wind, about 5 feet out from the slop edge. I'd be pitching a light (for me) 1/2 ounce jig/craw combo, since that surface cover doesn't look too thick. Short pitches, maybe 10 feet ahead of the boat, concentrating on the backs of pockets and the points. Pitches would be spaced max. 5-6 feet apart.

I'd also be keeping an eye out for any pockets or holes BEHIND the rushes- up to 10 feet back from the front edge. That's where some of the bigger mamas can be found. The hard part is getting them out. I have a custom made 10 foot flipping stick made from two St. Croix musky blanks that I use for those occasions where there are openings back in the jungle. I can lift a gallon can of paint with that rod. :shock:

CCB
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

Berkley black leeches work well....... maybe Carolina rig it in......or a craw daddy.......
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Time to get right in close!

Post by Fishhawk »

Cancatchbass wrote:I would run the TM S-L-O-W-L-Y (just a crawl) into the wind, about 5 feet out from the slop edge. I'd be pitching a light (for me) 1/2 ounce jig/craw combo, since that surface cover doesn't look too thick. Short pitches, maybe 10 feet ahead of the boat, concentrating on the backs of pockets and the points. Pitches would be spaced max. 5-6 feet apart.

I'd also be keeping an eye out for any pockets or holes BEHIND the rushes- up to 10 feet back from the front edge. That's where some of the bigger mamas can be found. The hard part is getting them out. I have a custom made 10 foot flipping stick made from two St. Croix musky blanks that I use for those occasions where there are openings back in the jungle. I can lift a gallon can of paint with that rod. :shock:

CCB
CanCatch - I like your approach and will likely be practising it a lot in this kind of situation this summer. For the benefit of those who don't know what you do once the jig/craw touches down, please explain what you would do. This is an area that interests me alot. Usually when I am pitching something into these situations, it the fish doesn't take the bait immediately, they don't at all. What do you do to tease the bass over to the bait?
Fishhawk
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

You asked for it!

Post by Cancatchbass »

Seems I have to give everything away? :D

The jig will get through that relatively thin cover easily. Let it fall to the bottom with a thump. Usually the bottom in this type of cover is muck or silt. The jig hitting it will send up a puff of fine sediment- it looks like a puff of smoke.

That gets their attention. Next, lift the jig 6" off the bottom and, ever so gently, twitch it in place for maybe 3 seconds (5 or 6 twitches). Hold it steady for another 2 seconds- if they haven't taken the jig by now- there are no fish there OR they have lockjaw. Retrieve your jig and make your next pitch or flip.

Now, when the fish are really active (not often enough), they'll be on that jig within a split second of it breaking through the cover and you won't get to try the old seductive jiggle and twitch. They'll hit it hard. Be ready.

With the proper rod and jig in this type of situation you DO NOT rear back and set the hook like you would with a T-rigged worm. You simply lift quickly and smoothly. Get the fish up through the cover before it knows it's hooked.

CCB
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: You asked for it!

Post by Fishhawk »

Cancatchbass wrote:Seems I have to give everything away? :D

The jig will get through that relatively thin cover easily. Let it fall to the bottom with a thump. Usually the bottom in this type of cover is muck or silt. The jig hitting it will send up a puff of fine sediment- it looks like a puff of smoke.

That gets their attention. Next, lift the jig 6" off the bottom and, ever so gently, twitch it in place for maybe 3 seconds (5 or 6 twitches). Hold it steady for another 2 seconds- if they haven't taken the jig by now- there are no fish there OR they have lockjaw. Retrieve your jig and make your next pitch or flip.

Now, when the fish are really active (not often enough), they'll be on that jig within a split second of it breaking through the cover and you won't get to try the old seductive jiggle and twitch. They'll hit it hard. Be ready.

With the proper rod and jig in this type of situation you DO NOT rear back and set the hook like you would with a T-rigged worm. You simply lift quickly and smoothly. Get the fish up through the cover before it knows it's hooked.

CCB
Thank-you CCB. Not enough people know what to do after they have fired the bait in the perfect spot.
Fishhawk
LouisD33
Participant
Participant

works for me

Post by LouisD33 »

:D I have had lots of luck flipping a quad blade spinner bait tight to the mats. It seldom has time to hit bottom,but when it does I work it slowly back to the boat using a lift and fall retrieve
Draven
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Little different

Post by Draven »

I would start with a scummfrog pull it across the top to see if that stired up anything if not (black-blue) jig matching craw trailer on the bottom.