Fish-Hawk Announcement

Viewable only by Admins and selected Moderators. Simply move any questionable posts from the forums into here, which no one else can see, and I'll deal with it when I get a chance to.
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Fish-Hawk Announcement

Post by Bobber »

Hello all,

It's with mixed emotions that I write to you all today with an announcement on a subject that I personally consider to be a legacy in the fishing world.

For over 15 years, myself and Mike, along with the great support of moderators, vendors, and the community, have run Fish-Hawk.Net as a means to connect anglers from all over. When the site was started, there "no" websites out there that went into any detail about fishing, where to go, what to use, who to connect with, what was happening, what products were hot, or anything like that. At the time, Fish-Hawk was among the very first Internet websites to provide this information to anglers. Now with the passing of time, technology has been made better, information is more accessible, and the number of websites for angling and social media has exploded.

Also with the passing of time, I find myself no longer capable of doing what I feel is needed to be done, to keep Fish-Hawk on top, and keeping up with all the other sites out there. Apart from the fishing aspect, there is a "lot" of work behind the scenes to keep this site running properly, fresh, and relevant in today's technological world. I used to tell people that on top of my regular job and family life, Fish-Hawk was basically run between the hours of 10:00pm and 2:00am. This is the truth. Unfortunately, I can no longer keep this pace up, and need to re-look at aspects of my life that will keep me healthy for my family, focused on more pressing matters that need my attention, and new activities that are less taxing on my body, like my newly found interest in music. (shameless plug for "The StittsVillains", check us out on facebook) :)

Today, I would like to announce my "retirement" from website administration of Fish-Hawk.

It's both a sad day and a happy one for me. Having spent so much time building something that is enjoyed by so many people is the reason why I continued to do this. The satisfaction of creating such a beast, the support from the fishing community and vendors, along with all the great feedback and comments I've received from regular users has been overwhelming, and I am truly blessed to have been a part of this. Thank you to all of you who continue to be faithful to Fish-Hawk and what it's intended for. Leaving all this behind is the sad part of it all.

On some positive notes, I do believe this is in my own best interest, coincidentally today is my birthday, I still plan to continue fishing (more for pleasure now than trying to get that perfect photo or great story to tell), and I am also very happy to tell you that Fish-Hawk will continue with new ownership and management, hopefully well into the future.

I'm sure you all know these guys already, but Rob Jackson (RJ) and Luke Hay (Fatluke) will be the new partners and owners of Fish-Hawk.Net effective immediately.

RJ has been a member of Fish-Hawk pretty much since it's conception, and was one of the very first people Mike and I fished with back in the early days of Fish-Hawk. Rob has also made some great motion in the fishing industry both as a solo act and the so so half of RJandBirdee's Outdoor Adventures. (Birdee's the better half I'm sure).

Luke has been a member of Fish-Hawk since 2005, was very active when he lived here, moved to Belleville, and has a vast knowledge and experience on the technical aspects needed to maintain a site and keep it running in tip top shape.

I am very happy these 2 fine gentlemen will be continuing the legacy of Fish-Hawk.Net, and truly hope they don't ban me anytime soon. (Payback's a bitch ain't it. lol ) There will be some time we'll spend doing transition of the Administration and Technical details, but all of that should be transparent to you all.

On one final note, I would truly like to thank each and every one of you for your contributions to the site, your support, your devotion, and your loyalty. I would also like to extend a special thank you to my wife for allowing me to do this at all hours of the night, and pretty much never being around during the fishing season. She often referred to herself as a "fishing widow" during the summer. Hawk Talk has been the bread and butter of the site, and it's been through your participation and involvement which has pretty much made the site self sustaining, other than all the behind the scenes technical stuff you never see. I would like to wish the very best to you all, congratulate RJ and Luke in their inheritance, and let you all know that I do indeed accept fishing invitations, so don't be shy. :)

Thank you for all these years of being part of Fish-Hawk.
Tight lines,
Bobber out!
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
plowjock
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: Fish-Hawk Announcement

Post by plowjock »

Bobber, Thank you for all your family time and commitment.
Now, Fish-Hawkers, where and when do we hold the "Bobber" Appreciation Night.
Something definitely has to be spawned.
Can I get a little more help on this event.
Oneeleven
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Oneeleven »

The 'where' can be the party room in my condo, if that would be desired - seen on pg 8 of this thead:

http://www.fish-hawk.net/viewtopic.php? ... &start=105

I would just need some advance notice to see if it's free to book and put a deposit down to reserve it.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

Bobber,

Thank you for everything you have done for this site. I am glad to hear Fish-Hawk will be transferred off to the capable hands of two of the early users of the site. I do not believe we, (as users) could have asked anything more from you or the new owners.

Adam
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

Rob, thank you so much for all your efforts over the years. It has been well appreciated by all I'm sure. I know that Luke has been around behind the scenes for a while and I would like to congratulate he and RJ for their dedication to this site and their new and continued efforts in the future to keep Fish-Hawk alive and well. Good luck in the future with all your endeavors.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

Congratulations on your "retirement" Bobber!

Hopefully those 10pm to 2am nights can now be spent night-fishing for some monster Ottawa River Gar!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Simply Thank you! and Happy B-Day Bobber! ;)
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

Rob and Mike, you guys have put in more then a decade of hard work with this great site. You pioneered the format for a lot of fishing sites across canada. I have personally found a large amount of lifetime friends from this little corner of the internet you've developed. You should be very proud of not only the web page you created, but the positive impact you've made on so many lives within the fishing community. You guys are top notch.

Rob and Luke, it's great to hear you're picking up where these guys are leaving off. I'm looking forward to whats ahead for you guys. Enjoy it to the fullest and best of luck!
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

Thanks for Taking Care of Business and working overtime for all those years.
Here's a song just for you ... Enjoy

BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
Muskie4L
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskie4L »

It's been a great pleasure to be associated with this site for so long, you both have done a fantastic job keeping the best fishing site on the net going. Hats off to you both. I'm sure RJ and Luke will keep the spirit of the site alive :!:
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

Outstanding news!! :D :D ........now you can concentrate even more on ROCKING THE HOUSE!! :wink: :wink: :D

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUDDY!!
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Hey Rob, all the best to you in the future, also a very Happy Birthday to you!I bet it's bitter sweet to hand over the reins, but health and family prevail, every time!!
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Thanks for everything Rob and Happy BDay.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Where to start?

Rob, thanks a million for your countless hours of devotion and perseverance, ESPECIALLY when we all know parts of it are just not fun or even vaguely appreciated by most of us. Happy birthday, and look after your health!

RJ and Luke, GOOD LUCK!

Doug
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

Rob

thanks for making fish hawk what it is today enjoy your retirement from the hawk and stay on top of health most important part of life.
good luck !!

welcome to the new management we are in good hands!