What's with the attitude?

Viewable only by Admins and selected Moderators. Simply move any questionable posts from the forums into here, which no one else can see, and I'll deal with it when I get a chance to.
Kpin
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Kpin »

Fact of the matter is...just like every other race, crede, colour and religion...there is good and bad.

This basic fact is visible in the workplace, home and even on the angling waters. Ethnicity no LONGER plays a role in this respect as it once did.

American or Canadian, generations of the "old school" boys had the ideology that we pretty much all had an endless supply.

It's only very recently infact that such things as, "catch and release," pollution, global warming or any kind of pro-active environmental movements have become common place.

If you don't beleive me, ask an old timer about c&r and explain it to them, (because they won't know the term," odds are they'll slap their knee and laugh at the ludicracy.

My basic point is this...in the big pic. we ideally want the same thing. It's unfair to paint any group as offenders, as they cross all cultural and geographical lines.

Let's remember that and the bottom line that (most), anglers respect the regs and of course ALL want healthy fisheries.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

RJ wrote: I guess I'll ask Swamp-Donkey this...were ya beating the bank when ya were crappie fishing?... :lol: ...just givin ya a rub SD... :wink:
Took the words right out of my mouth. I caught a few largies this spring while fishing for panfish...so what? I wasn't targeting them and they were safely released so my conscience is clear!
It's kind of interesting how trout, pike, and crappy are extensively targeted smack in the middle of their spawning periods, but hook an OOS bass by accident and some people are ready to crucify you.

Buzz, if I were you, I woulda just mooned those guys and kept right on fishing. :lol: On the other hand, they've probably had some really bad experiences with folks from south of the border, so who knows...
Buzz
Participant
Participant

Changed my tune

Post by Buzz »

After having read Fish-Hawk posting guideline’s I will back down on this possible heated discussion. Out of season fish in Canada is just what it is. I will come up during the season in the future to avoid the ugly scene we endured. From my point of view I don't know what the entire stink is about. Bass are a pain for most trout anglers and are taking over North America in most waters. You can't go just about anywhere and not catch bass. Yet people act like there is only 1 fish in each lake and don't catch or eat it. In NY I live in the Finger Lake region. There is no closed season for bass. Yes there is a time when you can't keep them from March 30- the 3rd Saturday in June, but you can catch all you want. After having fished this way for years now I have forgotten what out of season regulations are for. Putting myself out there as an ethical angler I will change my angling tactics and even times I fish when in Canadian waters. I love coming to Canada and some of my most cherished memories are fishing in Canadian waters. This is the first time ever going over the border I came home with bitter feelings. I'll take 51% of the blame and make sure in the future I won't be watched or ridiculed by any land owner US or Canadian. Thanks for bringing me back to reality. Good fishing. Buzz
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Classy Buzz. You get a thumbs up from me for that last post.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Changed my tune

Post by Mick »

[quote="Buzz"]After having read Fish-Hawk posting guideline’s I will back down on this possible heated discussion. Out of season fish in Canada is just what it is. I will come up during the season in the future to avoid the ugly scene we endured. From my point of view I don't know what the entire stink is about. Bass are a pain for most trout anglers and are taking over North America in most waters. You can't go just about anywhere and not catch bass. Yet people act like there is only 1 fish in each lake and don't catch or eat it. In NY I live in the Finger Lake region. There is no closed season for bass. Yes there is a time when you can't keep them from March 30- the 3rd Saturday in June, but you can catch all you want. After having fished this way for years now I have forgotten what out of season regulations are for. Putting myself out there as an ethical angler I will change my angling tactics and even times I fish when in Canadian waters. I love coming to Canada and some of my most cherished memories are fishing in Canadian waters. This is the first time ever going over the border I came home with bitter feelings. I'll take 51% of the blame and make sure in the future I won't be watched or ridiculed by any land owner US or Canadian. Thanks for bringing me back to reality. Good fishing. Buzz[/quote]

Maybe some of my Canadian brethren here can learn from our American friend how to diffuse an argument and to do so honourably. Post of the month I say! Nicely done Buzz.
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Changed my tune

Post by Mick »

[quote="Buzz"]After having read Fish-Hawk posting guideline’s I will back down on this possible heated discussion. Out of season fish in Canada is just what it is. I will come up during the season in the future to avoid the ugly scene we endured. From my point of view I don't know what the entire stink is about. Bass are a pain for most trout anglers and are taking over North America in most waters. You can't go just about anywhere and not catch bass. Yet people act like there is only 1 fish in each lake and don't catch or eat it. In NY I live in the Finger Lake region. There is no closed season for bass. Yes there is a time when you can't keep them from March 30- the 3rd Saturday in June, but you can catch all you want. After having fished this way for years now I have forgotten what out of season regulations are for. Putting myself out there as an ethical angler I will change my angling tactics and even times I fish when in Canadian waters. I love coming to Canada and some of my most cherished memories are fishing in Canadian waters. This is the first time ever going over the border I came home with bitter feelings. I'll take 51% of the blame and make sure in the future I won't be watched or ridiculed by any land owner US or Canadian. Thanks for bringing me back to reality. Good fishing. Buzz[/quote]

Maybe some of my Canadian brethren here can learn from our American friend how to diffuse an argument and to do so honourably. Post of the month I say! Nicely done Buzz.
bucketmouth
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: What's with the attitude?

Post by bucketmouth »

Buzz wrote:People would drive their boat clear across the lake to yell at us to stop targeting the bass.
I say next time you're up in Canada fishing pike in early June and someone chases you off a spot you just start casting your flippin jigs and plastic frogs at their boats to scare 'em away. That should work, k?

D. :D
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I fish Charleston ALL the time and I mean ALL the time. For 40 YEARS.

I would guess almost 50% of the cottages are owned by Americans. Second, most cottagers don't give a damn about fishing. If fishing thru the week most aren't even there. May, June and September, October can be pretty lonely on the big lake.

Myself, I have not witnessed anything like this. You have to be within 100 ft to read the numbers on my boat.... You could not tell where I'm from...and I fish rock shoals for pike too....but I don't fish rock flats.

I've fished Charleston 7 times for pike this season and have caught ONE bass.....a dink in Mud Bay opening weekend. I have fished it 3 times for Lakers...no bass. In the past 5 years while fishing pike on Charleston I have caught no more than 10 bass and never...ever a laker.
grumpy7790
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Bass

Post by grumpy7790 »

I'm not sure how or when everyone all of a sudden people became so worried about the Bass? Maybe it's from the cottage association meetings?

I do know these same people shouting at everyone probably could not identify the differences between a LM or SM.

I also know that a lot of bass are caught before the season while trolling around gang trolls. Anyone shouting at them?

Anyhow, try and make the best of situation and enjoy the day on the water.

G
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Fantasy trip?

Post by Jigs »

ganman wrote:I fish Charleston ALL the time and I mean ALL the time. For 40 YEARS.

I've fished Charleston 7 times for pike this season and have caught ONE bass.....a dink in Mud Bay opening weekend. I have fished it 3 times for Lakers...no bass. In the past 5 years while fishing pike on Charleston I have caught no more than 10 bass and never...ever a laker.
G'day Ganman:

In your 40 years of fishin on Charleston, how many times have you
1. Been yelled at? Except someone yellen; "Hey, wanna beer?"
2. Caught 2 pike over 10 lbs on the SAME DAY.?
3. Caught ANY pike over ten lbs..............recently, that is?

Maybe you woulda if'n you could "TROLL" like this guy.

Nuff said eh :wink:

Still layin it to the trouts?

Jigs
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Folks, this post was just brought to my attention, actually a few days ago but I'm unfortunately just getting to it now.

Firstly, the position of this site and my personal position is that race, ethnic origin, nationality, skin color, sexual preference, or whatever else is NOT a topic of conversation here. We are here to discuss fishing and fishing related items.

It is true that American regulations are different than Canadian regulation, and that we should all make the attempt the understand the regs no matter what country, state, or province we are visiting, however we cannot assume that this was not done.

The fact of the matter is, and it's unfortunate, that Buzz's original note was true and happens quite often. I has happened to me on a few occasions as well, and while we admire those who protect our resouces, there are far better ways to do than to automatically assume that one is targeting an out of season species. Beating banks for Pike is a common occuranc. I do it, and I'm positive many others do it as well. Pike and Bass both like the same kinds of conditions and environments and I for one will not stop fishing for Pike for fear of catching an out of season bass. I will however do everything in my power to ensure I don't catch them when they are spawning, but other than just stop fishing for Pike, it's going to happen.

The rules I follow are as such...
1. I do not fish an area for Pike where I can visually see Bass Spawning beds. I move away from them.
2. If I am fishing Pike, and catch a Bass by accident, I return it very gently without taking it out of the water if at all possible, and immediately move to a new location.
3. The MNR has told us that changing baits is also a good tactic, however I don't know how much I agree with this solution, as a bass will hit most anything in the same manner as a Pike will.

In any case, I believe the majority of us know the rules and should be applying them, especially if we are so involved in fishing that we spend some of our time on website message boards. If you are told that a particular area is a Bass spawning ground by someone from the shore, you would hope that it is communicated in a nice manner, however we all know this is not the case many times. My advice...suck it up, ignore the shoreline rants and dis-respect, and move along. It's not worth it really, there is plenty of water out there.

If you are so inclined to respond, then do it with respect and dignity. Say thank you for the information....now go and buy yourself some manners to go along with that mansion you have there, and move along. There are far better ways to communicate Bass spawning grounds than yelling obsenities from the shoreline.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
Fish'n'Allthetime
Participant
Participant

Post by Fish'n'Allthetime »

I've never experienced any kind of problem like that.