Naming of Locations on Fish-Hawk

Viewable only by Admins and selected Moderators. Simply move any questionable posts from the forums into here, which no one else can see, and I'll deal with it when I get a chance to.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Naming of Locations on Fish-Hawk

Post by Todd B. »

Unlike other fishing boards, FH has no policy w.r.t. the publication of fishing locations. While there is an unwritten code regarding this, as it currently stands, we as moderators are in no position to prohibit the identification of lakes/rivers in the forums. If people are concerned about this by all means forward your concerns to Bobber.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I fished Newboro Lake on the weekend. Fill yer boots fellas.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

RJ wrote:I fished Newboro Lake on the weekend. Fill yer boots fellas.
I wish I could!

JimW
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Dude who posted the name of Lake X knew exactly what he was doing... a written rule wouldn't have persuaded him not to do it. IMO

E
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

lapointeric wrote:Dude who posted the name of Lake X knew exactly what he was doing... a written rule wouldn't have persuaded him not to do it. IMO

E
for god sakes man, its a Bass lake. most FH'ers who live in QC, probably have already fished there as a guest or could. wouldn't have to worry about anyone on this side of the river goin' there cause every lake over here is polluted with them. No one in their right mind would pay for a non-resident license to fish for Bass when there are so many opportunities here. Thats what the real issue is, ya don't want Ontario dudes fishin' yer Lake X. don't worry yer secret is safe. really it is :roll: :roll: 8)
Fisherman are the biggest liars.
bl8ant
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bl8ant »

Not to be argumentative Moonshine but that is exactly what I did as well as my girlfriend and two buddies this year. We all bought licenses and have been fishing the QC almost exclusively.

I do however get what you are saying.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

moonshine wrote:
lapointeric wrote:Dude who posted the name of Lake X knew exactly what he was doing... a written rule wouldn't have persuaded him not to do it. IMO

E
for god sakes man, its a Bass lake. most FH'ers who live in QC, probably have already fished there as a guest or could. wouldn't have to worry about anyone on this side of the river goin' there cause every lake over here is polluted with them. No one in their right mind would pay for a non-resident license to fish for Bass when there are so many opportunities here. Thats what the real issue is, ya don't want Ontario dudes fishin' yer Lake X. don't worry yer secret is safe. really it is :roll: :roll: 8)

My comment was about the concept of an 'unwritten rule'. Doesn't matter what type of lake, or how abundant the species is....

What was tarnished here is the mystery. They had their "own" lake (and even though they flaunted it a bit--and in some cases drove by people on their way to it) there was no good reason to 'out' the name of it.

E
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

BUT, it is a private lake. so no worries.
Fisherman are the biggest liars.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I would always tell, I don't care if anyone showed up. Even though I have more places to fish than I have time what I really like doing is searching out and finding new places. Thats the challenge.

I've changed my tune though. A couple of weeks ago I got a little too specific and unfortuneatly where I never saw a boat before I see plenty now and judging by the reg numbers they've driven some distance. They are not guys in little tinnys but the guys who play weekend bass pro. Funny thing is nobody sent me an email to say hey...thanks for the info. They just showed up and hammered the place and I mean hammered. Same couple of boats are there all the time. Lots of hook scars. Trust me they didn't find it on there own, if I didn't say anything nobody would have known there were bass there. They would have roared off 10 miles away.

The thing the really bugs me is why when someone finds a good place to catch fish they have to pound it and pound it and pound it? Why not say...hey I know I can catch fish there lets rest it and go find new spots. Whats with the greed?
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

The fact is 24/7 was keeping it a nameless lake. For whatever reasons, it doesn't matter, but the reasons are obvious to most.

When you know (common sense tells MOST of this) someone is keeping a "secret", and you know the "secret" you don't blab about it.

And I see no problem pounding and pounding it.. However, if the guy was filling his freezer each time, it would be a different story.
Last edited by fatluke on Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

E
I agree, Not sure why he did it.

But now that we know what "X" is it seems to have lost a bit of it's allure, but hopefully 24/7 and B.A. do not stop there reports because I enjoy seeing all those beasts.
Maybe it had something to do with how much he was getting outfished by them????
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

fatluke wrote:The fact is 24/7 was keeping it a nameless lake. For whatever reasons, it doesn't matter, but the reasons are obvious to most.

When you know (common sense tells MOST of this) someone is keeping a "secret", and you know the "secret" you don't blab about it.
That says it all.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Todd B. wrote:Unlike other fishing boards, FH has no policy w.r.t. the publication of fishing locations. While there is an unwritten code regarding this, as it currently stands, we as moderators are in no position to prohibit the identification of lakes/rivers in the forums. If people are concerned about this by all means forward your concerns to Bobber.

All good points, Todd.

I give out the names of the body of water most times. That is my choice.

The private lakes that Kevin and Paul fish are just that. There was some legwork and research involved in locating these little gems, as well as gaining access to launch.
Kevin's reports always have the lures used, the depths fished, and types of structure holding the fish.
Isn't that all the information anyone with half a brain requires?

Naming that lake was uncalled for and way uncool. It served no real purpose other than for shock value.

DS
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

RJ wrote:I fished Newboro Lake on the weekend. Fill yer boots fellas.
:lol: :lol:

I'd rather you talk about your carping secret spots. Oh, wait, I can ask Jeff about those :-)

BM
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'm not defending 444 in any way because he already has and well.....BUT.

Wasn't the name of that particular lake his "secret" as well?...and his willingness to share his "secret" his decision?

One thing I'd be willing to bet is if the words "paradise, X, XXX, private" lakes were never brought up and rubbed in peoples noses the name of that lake would never made it to public eyes.

In the end, I couldn't care less if you posted the name of any lake. Bl8ant has some great reports every week and not once does he name a lake, well except for showing off his latest Loblaws connection.

RJ