FH closing March 1st ???

Viewable only by Admins and selected Moderators. Simply move any questionable posts from the forums into here, which no one else can see, and I'll deal with it when I get a chance to.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: FH closing March 1st ???

Post by Jimmy_1 »

If this is indeed the case I am really not at all surprised.

When I joined this site in 2008 it was a VERY happening place.
Lots of reports, discussions, sales and people on here at all times.

It was a great place to learn and meet new people and get out.
We had at least 8 admins.

Although Bobber was very active the founder...Fish-Hawk had long ago stepped away from the site.

Fish-Hawk was started as a place to share maps. Simply as a place for Fish-Hawk to learn where to launch his boat. It evolved into this site. Bobber took the reigns but due to health reasons etc has stepped back in recent years..Craig has pretty much been doing the Admin thing by himself now for quite a while.

After the crash I came back. Posted a few reports.....which garnered MAYBE 2-3 responses.

Posts that deal with arguments get pages upon pages of replies.

If I saw dwindling action and most posts were just grown men having a pee pee contest....I too would likely want to shut er down.

While I will miss it, it is sad to say that she is far from where she was.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Jimmy_1 wrote:
Fish-Hawk was started as a place to share maps. Simply as a place for Fish-Hawk to learn where to launch his boat. It evolved into this site. Bobber took the reigns but due to health reasons etc has stepped back in recent years..Craig has pretty much been doing the Admin thing by himself now for quite a while.
I think you’ve hit the nail right on the head Jimmy!
Truth be told, Mr. Lilly has not logged on Fish-Hawk for ages (correct me if I’m wrong) and with all due respect, Bobber has enough on his hands already.

Why not give up Fish-Hawk to the one and only guy that stood by when all other mods left it to sink?
Last edited by TheMaverick on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

I vote for you MAV .....shoot i'll be barred barred in no time :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Well

This site generally has a very negative opinion with most folk I talk to.

Getting racked over coals for talking about Calabogie is a bit silly.
Discussing lures or general spot locations is a bit silly.

Offering up a seat to someone outside your Kliq....

Lots of little things people can do to vastly improve this site and its image.

I will admit then when I 1st joined here and for several years I was quite an arse....that was 110% MY FAULT.

Nowadays, with a big family it isn't as easy to get out as much as I'd like to or used to. There are a few people on here I am very much looking forward to wetting a line with. I have also recently had a chance to fish with some members I hadn't previously known and it was quite fun and they are great people.

As for who takes ownership of the site. Good question. I can't speak to that.
LifeIsntWasted
Participant
Participant

Post by LifeIsntWasted »

Lurker chimming in - So from all these posts I'm still confused why the site is being closed. Is there just no demand for a site like this in the Ottawa region? Where will everyone go to post in the future? I've had a pain of a time trying to find decent fishing forums.

The only issue I could see with this site is the look of it, it appears dated, maybe a tad cluttered.. maybe that's what is turning away new users? Just thinking outloud, not trying to offend.
theDL
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by theDL »

This thread is confusing. Obviously I've tuned in a bit late - there's been edited posts, name changes, and no real info. Is the forum slated to be shutdown? I see the domain registration was renewed Jan 28th, who is Mike Lilly? The registration is good until 2017, so on the surface it doesn't look like the forum is going anywhere.

It's nice to see the show of support from forum members. I like this site also and would be happy to help keep it going in any way I can.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

I kinda confused (more so than usual)....

I like this site.... I don't know what it used to be like but I get some value out of what I read and enjoy sharing my reports.... Not being a standard bass or walleye guy I don't usually get much a response.... But that's OK for me. I get comments publicly and privately that make this all worthwhile.

For the detractors.... If you don't like this site.... Cut the apron strings... Don't come back; Delete your bookmark and walk away. You seem to be drawn back like moths to a flame. Honestly I may not miss you and likely others wont as well. If you don't care what is posted here and it does not meet your expectations, just leave.

These people seem to have some narcissistic need to be heard in a forum they don't care for..... Grow up.
Last edited by zippyfx on Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishoholic
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Fishoholic »

F-H for life!
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

If there's anything that can be done, let us know. Seems there are more than a few people posting who want to see FH survive.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

The fact that the site has over 4000 registered users.....

The same 20-30 post.

20/4000 is 0.005%

Not a very "active" community.
zippyfx
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by zippyfx »

Jimmy_1 wrote:The fact that the site has over 4000 registered users.....

The same 20-30 post.

20/4000 is 0.005%

That number is not out of line for most forms of social media.... This metric also excludes those who are unregistered and troll (like the many who have recently signed up indicate) and those who are registered and troll.

Most utilization rates filter out inactive accounts as it skews the metrics.

Just saying....

(not only am I fishing geek, I also dabble in metrics and stats)
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

What we should be doing is keeping this thread alive with positive critism and determination, I'm seeing a lot of negativity. :?

Members would be surprised at how many eyes are on F-H...just saying.
Last edited by TheMaverick on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

The same 20-30 post.

20/4000 is 0.005%

If you click on the 'Members' button in the top right of the screen you can see that more than 50 different members have been on in the last 24 hours. That's members, not annonymous. If you click at random on the people you will see that most do post. Perhaps not the hundreds and thousands of other members, but it is pretty rare to find a "2" post member there.

I think 50 members on in the last 24 hours is pretty good.

I also judge by quality, not quantity. I have posted many questions on FH, for the most part the answers posted are good... the answers sent by PM are even better!!!

Finally - Don't lose sight of the history in the site. For many people new to an area or exploring new territory, there is a wealth of information to be had by simply searching for the name of a lake.

Love this site, hope it stays around.
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

The same 20-30 post.

20/4000 is 0.005%

Ice fishing is not my strong point, never was, never will be.....doesn't mean I don't logon and browse wtv is posted.
I just leave the replies to those of you that do know a thing or two about fishing on icebergs.

Season content should be taken into consideration.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I'll never understand why people choose to be negative especially at a time like this.

RJ