What would you like to see?

Viewable only by Admins and selected Moderators. Simply move any questionable posts from the forums into here, which no one else can see, and I'll deal with it when I get a chance to.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

What would you like to see?

Post by RJ »

Hey folks!

We're really close on releasing the new front page for FH. We've got the tournament dates and clubs covered off.

We want to have a "Resources" page. On that page we will have links to MNR regs for each FMZ in our area as well as the Fishing Spots/Access to Water map that MichaelGA put together.

We will also have a few different weather links ie. Environment Canada, Accuweather, Windfinder etc.

Anything else you can think of??

We value your input!

Thanks

RJnLuke
Jul0682
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Re: What would you like to see?

Post by Jul0682 »

Can't think of anything but wanted to say that I really enjoy the site and appreciate all the work you are putting into this awesome website.. keep up the great work... :)

Cheers
2014 Lund Impact 1775
Mercury 115Hp
tips
Participant
Participant

Post by tips »

Franktown Radar
otownyaker
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by otownyaker »

If I had to think of any thing it would be making it easer to find the fourm categories list.

I remember when I first signed up it took me some time to find.

Love the site ty for all the hard work.
OTownYaker
613 Ice Fishing team
O-Town Fishing Adventures
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

RJ an autosave feature like on OOD would save me a lot of frustration at times. There's been a more than a few times where I had a longer post going and hit the back button by mistake or went back a page on the thread and when I returned my post was gone. I can only imagine if it was a super long post like Bunk's and that happened. Tks
Smitty

Straight shooter
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

smitty55 wrote:RJ an autosave feature like on OOD would save me a lot of frustration at times. There's been a more than a few times where I had a longer post going and hit the back button by mistake or went back a page on the thread and when I returned my post was gone. I can only imagine if it was a super long post like Bunk's and that happened. Tks
Yup I've done it, and it sucks.

The forum won't change for now. Main page first then move to that. We will see when we start to play with the new forum software if that is do-able. I'm sure it'll be standard.

Thanks Smitty!

RJ
Kerrazy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Kerrazy »

More photos of me with huge fish! So I guess a feature that photoshops the fish in the pictures?
Kerrazy

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll Go Fishing!"- Thoreau
I'd like to thank my sponsors:
Interac - Be in the Black
Jerry, my neighbour, who foolishly leaves his shed and truck open, so I can try all the latest gear!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Anything that would broaden the social media experience, FB, Instagram, Periscope (ICQ, MSN, AOL, Yahoo messenger...somewhat outdated, what's Jabber? lolol).

As previously mentioned, countdown app to Bass Opener.

Get rid of the skin options, make it the same for everyone (pls change the color, the dull beige and maroon is ugly).

Top posters is irrelevant and takes up place, not sure why it's there if we aren't winning a prize.

New emoticons, just cause lol
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
Mick
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mick »

RJ

I think that some kind of beginners guide for people new to fishing would be pretty helpful. There are a lot of good fishermen on this site, trading info, jokes, talking gear, and what not. And I suspect a lot of that stuff is a bit intimidating for someone new to the sport. I've seen newbies on the site say as much.

I'm thinking just a few sticky type articles

basic equipment to get you started - rod, reels, line....how to by your first set up to see if you like it without spending 400 on a combo at Ed's kinda thing (sorry ed)

basic tackle set up - how to spend your first 50 or 75 bucks on tackle kind of thing

tackle box extras - an inventory of the things you need on hand to make your day easier and maybe why you need them.....pliers, scissors, nail clippers, whatever, I've got all kinds of stuff in my boat that I have specific uses for that pretty much everyone has lying around their house.

whenever you are starting off on a new endeavour most people don't know what they don't know.....and while reading internet boards can be pretty helpful, sometimes when you don't know what is being talked about, it is intimidating, and pretty time consuming when you have to google every other word.

I guess just some kind of little manual that helps get a new to the sport person up to speed a little quicker.

There are many many people on this board that are really quick to offer advice when someone asks a questions and that's awesome. But may be some folks are just a little shy to ask thinking it's a dumb question. Or how about a "new to fishing, got a question" type forum specifically for the purpose of no question is to easy / silly.

Happy to help with the idea if you need it.

Mick
scarkner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by scarkner »

I know that this is a fishing site... but there are a number of hunters on here too, a link to the city firearm discharge maps (especially since they are being updated) would be useful:
http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/laws-lice ... o-2002-344

Also - How about a photo of the month or something like that? No prizes, but might be a fun thing to replace the "top posters" with :-)
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I had to actually go looking for that "top posters" thing you guys are referring to... :lol:

We will be revamping the forum in time and at that time we will see what is offered with programs that weren't designed 15 years ago.
scarkner wrote:I know that this is a fishing site... but there are a number of hunters on here too, a link to the city firearm discharge maps (especially since they are being updated) would be useful:
http://ottawa.ca/en/residents/laws-lice ... o-2002-344

Also - How about a photo of the month or something like that? No prizes, but might be a fun thing to replace the "top posters" with :-)
Main page will have a featured report, we will see if the new forum software has an area for photos, I know some do for sure.

RJ
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Mick wrote:RJ

I think that some kind of beginners guide for people new to fishing would be pretty helpful. There are a lot of good fishermen on this site, trading info, jokes, talking gear, and what not. And I suspect a lot of that stuff is a bit intimidating for someone new to the sport. I've seen newbies on the site say as much.

I'm thinking just a few sticky type articles

basic equipment to get you started - rod, reels, line....how to by your first set up to see if you like it without spending 400 on a combo at Ed's kinda thing (sorry ed)

basic tackle set up - how to spend your first 50 or 75 bucks on tackle kind of thing

tackle box extras - an inventory of the things you need on hand to make your day easier and maybe why you need them.....pliers, scissors, nail clippers, whatever, I've got all kinds of stuff in my boat that I have specific uses for that pretty much everyone has lying around their house.

whenever you are starting off on a new endeavour most people don't know what they don't know.....and while reading internet boards can be pretty helpful, sometimes when you don't know what is being talked about, it is intimidating, and pretty time consuming when you have to google every other word.

I guess just some kind of little manual that helps get a new to the sport person up to speed a little quicker.

There are many many people on this board that are really quick to offer advice when someone asks a questions and that's awesome. But may be some folks are just a little shy to ask thinking it's a dumb question. Or how about a "new to fishing, got a question" type forum specifically for the purpose of no question is to easy / silly.

Happy to help with the idea if you need it.

Mick
Neat idea, something to look at it in the future.

RJ
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I am not really sure what what is a possibility.
I know that what brought me to FishHawk back in 2002 was the gallery of pictures of 'local' people with fish in spots that I had fished. I almost had to explain what a musky was to most people... But here, there were hundreds of pictures of Fishhawk and Bobber... I was amazed and it kept me checking.
Also, the fact that is was very active. Almost like a hub of activity to constantly check.
So if the main page is to have links to other information, then adding links to podcasts... Such as the renegade bass one, YouTube shows such Uncut Angling would be good. Then again it drives traffic away from the site. But if it was constantly updated with what's new and 'happeneing' then it would be a good resource to check.
Good luck, thanks for the hard work and see you on the water.
HotelTango
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HotelTango »

RJ,

I think a quick link to an "Open seat" type forum would be a good idea.
Nothing better then going out with different folk and learning new techniques.
All fishermen are liars except for you and me, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure about you.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

1) A Canadian team in the playoffs (preferably the Sens if not then the Habs)
2) The Sens win said playoffs (if not then the Habs)
3) A cow jumping over the moon
4) A ban on all forms of reality TV.
5) Hammer pants (it's Hammer time - can't touch this)
6) A Superman Batman movie that doesn't suck
7) Gas under 80 cents
8) a ten pound Bass That I caught!