Shootout Series fish management

Information on Tournaments, results, articles, and the players.
cbanford
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Shootout Series fish management

Post by cbanford »

The Shootout Series Of Bass Fishing Sets The New Fish Care Standard For Live Release Bass Tournaments!

In recent weeks the Ontario based Shootout Series of Bass Fishing has mandated fish care as a top priority. The organization has cited that as a business which success depends on a healthy fish population, all possible provisions would be made to ensure caught bass are treated humanely, monitored accordingly and released back into its natural habitat as soon as possible. In fact, The Shootout Series quietly prides their fish care efforts as an event procedure offering the least amount of exploitation unto the fish, consciously choosing to fast track the weigh in ceremonies to reduce fish captivity time and place emphasis on the angling experience and post event results. Historically, the Shootout Series has proven to get the fish back into the lake faster and the anglers off the water more efficiently then any other tournament circuit operating to date.

A Working Concept

As of now, modern day major live release bass tournament circuits in Canada have shared a common theory that fish caught during an event must be relinquished to the events staff only to then be carried off the weigh in stage and into a waiting water filled tank with literally hundreds of other stressed out, captive fish. Healthy or not these fish are retained and subjected to various deficiencies unbecoming to their overall well being.

Observational research of this practice has drawn complaints from many environmentally mined anglers wondering why it is necessary to incarcerate fish for more time then absolutely required. In discussions shared between Shootout Series Directors and many of the most respected Anglers in the country, it was determined that if a fish can swim in good health that it be returned to the water immediately after being scored at weigh in.

Shootout Series Director Cory Banford explains…

“"I firmly believe that the best place for healthy fish is back in the water as soon as possible. Cooping them up in a live release boat even for a few minutes extra is only hurting their chances when they are already alive and well immediately after weigh-in. My time working for the MNR and GM PRO Bass also allowed me learn from studies we preformed, that fish will travel up to 11km to go home. So by transferring fish long distances via live release could also be damaging our resources by taking them in the wrong direction. Focusing our time and efforts on the fish that need assistance is key!"

The Shootout Series has praised its anglers for demonstrating the highest tear of fish care accountability, both during the event and most importantly afterwards. Anglers who fish the Shootout Series have openly adopted the concept that if they caught fish during the tournament and maintained its health to ensure it lives throughout the weigh in procedure with hopes of gaining a maximum score, they can surely continue to provide quality care to a catch immediately after the event and happily accept the responsibility to ethically release them minutes after weigh in. Anglers are also instructed that fish be released a minimum of 300 yards away from the weigh site and preferably in water beneficial to the fish. Of course, it goes not without mention that Anglers of the Shootout Series are renowned for making every possible effort to benefit the very fish which provides them with so much recreation during the summer months. By not shrugging their fish off on somebody else to deal with, they demonstrate their commitment to be careful and not abuse our natural recourses or deplete the waterways fish stock for the cottage and home owners who also enjoy angling on the same lake.

Simply put…The Shootout Series of bass fishing has incorporated a common sense approach to fish care. Those being to handle the fish less, getting them back in the water sooner, and invite the Anglers to share the responsibility of ensuring fish are released appropriately.

For this the Shootout Series thanks its Anglers for representing the sport in such a selfless manner and knows that with such overwhelming cooperation from its members, both competitive angling and fish populations will flourish for years to come.

But Wait, There’s More!

Inevitably, in every bass tournament there are occasions when some fish will respond negatively to being caught. The Shootout Series understands this and has gone to great lengths to have built a mobile fish care station.

Though similar to “live release boats” currently employed by other tours, this 150 gallon thermally resistive containers sole purpose is to mend fish in distress back to good health before being allowed to swim. However unlike a standard live release boat the Shootout Series Fish Care Station is designed to comfortably house any fish deemed unfit to release by either the Fish Care Technician or a responsible angler concerned for a fish’s well being.

In a perfect world no Bass would ever have to visit the Fish Care Station, but realistically the Shootout Series knows that should such a device be required, they are prepared and have it ready for use at every event.

What Is The Fish Care Station?

As mandated by the organization to ensure fish health is of the up most importance, the Directors of Shootout Series had authorized to be built a mobile device capable of providing ailing fish every possible necessity to revive them back to their former selves.

The Fish Care Station consists of a thermally resistive 150 gallon tank filled with water that has been drawn from depths of 15 feet. Thus providing the fish with cooler water, but not so cool that it shocks the bass with a steep temperature differential. Internal to the Fish Care Stations workings lies a super charged aeration pump that moves 91 gallons of water per minute, effectively aerating the entire volume of water roughly every two minutes and exposing bass to a tremendous amount of water that has been saturated with life giving oxygen. The pump itself and its mountings are insulated to reduce noise and vibrations which may further stress fish out. Audibly the machine is very; very quiet, providing a safe and relaxing environment for fish to recuperate in. Additionally the aeration orifices have been sized and cut accordingly to stimulate a harmonically tuned injection of oxygen rich water no deeper then 4”. This provides more the adequate surface disruption to create the aeration effect, but does not interfere with fish suspended near the top of the tank.

The Fish Care Station has also been designed with discharge balancing valves and a reverse flow valve to support neutral buoyancy within the tanks treated holding fluids. This adaptation allows tired fish to exert as little energy as possible while recuperating, allowing the natural flow of the water to comfortably support them during their stay. All transfer piping used is of the approved plastic suitable for use in aquariums and potable water distribution, leaving no chance for toxic shock or poisoning. The Fish Care Station is also fitted with a very effective filtration system. Water quality is designed to be kept at a premium by filtering out large and medium sized particulate. Anything that could possibly interfere with a fish’s gills will be separated at the pump itself and cleaned before each use.

Rounding out the Fish Care Stations advantages is a simple feature found to be very helpful in reviving fish. Inside the lidded container is a narrow basket capable of supporting a bass in need attention by segregating it for closer observation by a fish care technician. While in the “cradle” a tech can accurately determine and apply if needed more or less aeration to that specific fish with hopes its makes a full recovery.

Last But Not Least

As stated the Shootout Series has made no concessions with the plans carried out to ensure fish safety and health. The Fish Care Station itself is mobile and will be pushed around on a very stable pontoon platform. This platform will be propelled by a brand new, environmentally friendly 90 Hp Evinrude E-tec graciously provided by Orleans Boat World & Sports and Evinrude. Together, both the E-tec and the Fish Care Station compliment technology. But most importantly they encourage an unprecedented statement of fish care and natural resource conservation. Both are true leaders in their respective industries.

Be it a weekend enthusiast looking to experience what tournament fishing is all about or a seasoned pro chasing the big cheque, the Shootout Series is the responsible choice for our lakes and rivers, and our Anglers prove it every weekend by signing up to have fun, compete fairly, and demonstrate a level personal accountability only found on the water.

www.shootoutseries.ca Make it your weekend to win!!!
kingmarc
Participant
Participant

Re: Shootout Series fish management

Post by kingmarc »

I am glad to see that everything is done to save fish but I am very concerned about the 2 upcoming tournaments on the St-Lawrence. The bass are spawning late this year due to the cold winter, they are spawning now ,so when the anglers catch bass on their nests it will leave their nest without protection from the gobies who can completely destroy nests within minutes. So even the fish that are caught and released right away, their nest are being destroyed while they are not there, With that being said I am not blaming anybody it is just bad timing. I hope we will not feel the effects of this in the years to come.

I do not want to stir the pot with this but it is just a concern that I have.

Marc B.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

kingmarc wrote:I am glad to see that everything is done to save fish but I am very concerned about the 2 upcoming tournaments on the St-Lawrence. The bass are spawning late this year due to the cold winter, they are spawning now ,so when the anglers catch bass on their nests it will leave their nest without protection from the gobies who can completely destroy nests within minutes. So even the fish that are caught and released right away, their nest are being destroyed while they are not there, With that being said I am not blaming anybody it is just bad timing. I hope we will not feel the effects of this in the years to come.

I do not want to stir the pot with this but it is just a concern that I have.

Marc B.

are you sure the bass are still on their beds? and are you sure the eggs have not hatched? I have been on several bodies of water and have not seen bedding bass this past weekend. St Lawrence maybe different but bass will spawn at certain temperatures not time. So even if the ice left late does not mean the spawning for bass is late. If anything the panfish spawn may have been affected much more.

If you have some study that could back up your premise it would be very welcome.

http://www.bestbassfishinginfo.com/larg ... butt-2.html
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

I wonder as to why Bass is not an endangered species down in the States.....and they've been yanking them off beds for decades now! :roll:

I guess Canadian Bass are just that more delicate lolol
Last edited by TheMaverick on Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
kingmarc
Participant
Participant

Post by kingmarc »

There are a few beds close to our dock and they were still on the beds Sunday I dint see any fry swimming around . water temps where very cold this year
surface temp are just hitting mid 60s in the bay and due to the fast current it is always colder than any other body of water. I do hope that you are right and most of them will have spawned and the fry have hatched.

Here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWt_uffYZ4M

Thanks

Marc
kingmarc
Participant
Participant

Post by kingmarc »

TheMaverick wrote:I wonder as to why Bass is not an endangered species down in the States.....and they've been yanking them off beds for decades now! :roll:

Where they do this I don't know if they have this problem with round gobies, By the way I am a bass fisherman, but I am just stating what I saw

Marc B.
cbanford
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cbanford »

The Shootout series appreciates your concern as it is valid and something the organisers have concidered in depth. To help ease any concerns we can say that the mnr does set the season opener with all possible circumstances measured and calculated to ensure fish spawn success. Simply put, by following the guidelines of the mnr open season, anglers can enjoy a tremendous opening weekend of bass fishing by trusting in the descions made my our natural resource managers. With that said we look forward to amazing event hosted out of brockville Ontario where many of the countrys most popular anglers will be attending to compete in this highly touted event. Thank you for sharing your concern kingmarc. Input like yours is what drives the shootout series to be the responsible choice amongst anglers.

Also we try and do a rotating schedule to mix it up. Last year we started on Big Rideau, this year Brockville, and next season I believe the Mississippi will be our opener. I'm sure white lake will also return once to our schedule.
Valleyboy
Participant
Participant

Post by Valleyboy »

Way to Grab the Bull Bye the Horns on this One Boys! Can't wait to see the recovery tank. What a novel idea!

4 more sleeps.
kingmarc
Participant
Participant

Post by kingmarc »

As I said I am not blaming anybody ,its just bad timing and thanks for responding. I am looking forward to participate in a few shootout events this year

Marc B
cbanford
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cbanford »

It is a very cool system, and also was not mentioned that we are individually releasing the fish once they can go, instead of the traditional dump system. I just hope the boat never gets used, because the angler take care of their own fish and 99 times out of 100 do a great job of that.
cbanford
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by cbanford »

I don't think anybody is blaming you kingmarc, all valid points. If this weather does not make a warm turn in a hurry, fish will still be on beds for big rideau, and a slim chance but possible for the Mississippi. Warmest report I have heard on any lake is 60 right now, and that just means they are getting ready to get their groove on!!!
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

kingmarc wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:I wonder as to why Bass is not an endangered species down in the States.....and they've been yanking them off beds for decades now! :roll:

Where they do this I don't know if they have this problem with round gobies, By the way I am a bass fisherman, but I am just stating what I saw

Marc B.

You say Gobbies, but in reality, they're lot of species that want to eat the Fry..
Sunfish,Bream,BlueGill, you name it...
The Smallmouth is on the rise in the Saint Lawrence, this will surely not hurt them..

Like Marc-Antoine mentioned, tournaments in the states happen far, far more frequently! Thrusday to Sunday events every weekend and night fishing tournaments.
They don't seem to be having any major problems..
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

In the States the bass spawn more than once during the year. They have a longer growing season. It is amazing with the pressure some lakes get - (multiple 200 + boat tournaments) that there are any bass left and that they still chase baits.

As for bedding bass, I was on Mississppi this past Sunday. The bass are not on their beds. Same with Big Rideau - all the bass beds we found were vacant from what I saw.

I would like to know why if Cbanford and the Shootout Series tournament committee is so concerned about fish safety/mortality and recovery - why have a tournament on opening day? I have seen too many guys in boats flipping the shores leading up to opening day tournaments.
ShawnD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by ShawnD »

CN wrote:In the States the bass spawn more than once during the year. They have a longer growing season. It is amazing with the pressure some lakes get - (multiple 200 + boat tournaments) that there are any bass left and that they still chase baits.

As for bedding bass, I was on Mississppi this past Sunday. The bass are not on their beds. Same with Big Rideau - all the bass beds we found were vacant from what I saw.

I would like to know why if Cbanford and the Shootout Series tournament committee is so concerned about fish safety/mortality and recovery - why have a tournament on opening day? I have seen too many guys in boats flipping the shores leading up to opening day tournaments.
Why would the Shootout series be responsible for that?? They'll go anyway to get rid of the itch!!
Also, might want to check but it isn't EVERYWHERE in the states that get a second spawn, as close as NY State there's a catch and release period. Too cold in the NY State to get a second spawn.
President of the Ottawa Valley South Bassmasters
http://www.ottawabassmasters.com/
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

I don't see how not having a catch and release boat, that can keep the fish well cared for and alive for maybe an hour longer than the last Team's bass get weighed in, would be detrimental to the fish. Releasing bass in multiple spots makes sense to me. I am not saying your wrong, but you are saying that keeping the bass in a live release boat (responsible, controlled environment) is not as good as anglers handling the fish a couple more times and releasing them 300m from the launch. Isn't that what tourneys were doing before they invested in live release boats? By the logic of your statement ... bass weighed in first have a better chance of survival than the one weighed in last. If there is science that says that bass will travel 11 miles to relocate back to their preferred ground... I am sure there is science that shows that bass remain in the area they are released for a period of time ... say 30-60 days before they move on. And in that time period there would be a great concentration of larger than average fish that tournament anglers have released... and may be caught repeately which may cause mortality rates to increase after your tournament is long gone.
I am sure you have the best intentions of the fish survival as well as your tournament survival... but I am guessing that tournaments that use live release boats and multiple drop spots have the best of intentions as well. I only play devils advocate here because it seemed to me that you were justifying not using a live release boat as being something better for the fish... and I think it would be hard to prove that. Good luck with the Tournament series.