Cheaters

Information on Tournaments, results, articles, and the players.
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Cheaters

Post by lape0019 »

StarTzar wrote:I'd be curious to find out how well those baskets would hold in the St Lawrence current? 8)
Lord knows it would help you out there! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
StarTzar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by StarTzar »

lape0019 wrote:
StarTzar wrote:I'd be curious to find out how well those baskets would hold in the St Lawrence current? 8)
That's why I asked .... I'm hoping that someone with experience will chime in. :wink:
BAA - 2016 Team 18 (10 shy of 28)
Renegade Bass - 2013 Team 67 - 2014 Team 28 - 2015 Team 51
BAA (Great organization) 2011 and 2012 Team 7
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

StarTzar wrote:
lape0019 wrote:
That's why I asked .... I'm hoping that someone with experience will chime in. :wink:
As in a local?
God knows he'd know all the right spots to lay them baskets!

Start an open seat thread, and slow stich your way with excuses until Adam takes the bait!

How does that go again? Basket, line and sinker?
If fishin ain't your mission, then you can kiss my Bass!
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

TheMaverick wrote:
As in a local?
God knows he'd know all the right spots to lay them baskets!

Start an open seat thread, and slow stich your way with excuses until Adam takes the bait!

How does that go again? Basket, line and sinker?
^^^ Silly goose! This was meant to be a PM, I'm such a noob!
lape0019
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by lape0019 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No experience on the Larry so I wouldn't be able to help you out very much.
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Couldn't they just shove lead down their gullets like normal tourney anglers? :lol:
TheMaverick
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by TheMaverick »

Eli wrote:Couldn't they just shove lead down their gullets like normal tourney anglers? :lol:
You can shove a lot more tungsten as opposed to lead.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Lance Armstrong was not an anomaly. There was systemic cheating that was institutionalized and a part of the cycling culture.
Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire were also part of a culture of cheating that existed in baseball.

Some numb nuts Easter-egging lunkers around a lake to be picked up during a tournament is not representative of systemic cheating and expected in fishing tournaments.

It's one guy.

If the tournament organizers was bought off by the cheater.
If the marshalls were bought off by the cheater.
If the cheater knew about other cheaters and helped them avoid being caught.
If the cheater won the most prestigious tournament by cheating, and everyone knew it but everyone in authority actively worked to cover it up.
If the cheater was paying for the buildings that housed the offices of the people that were supposed to catch cheaters.

Well... then you could LEGITIMATELY say "This is bad press for tourney guys".

In all seriousness; this is GREAT press for tournaments as they expose cheaters in their sport and are not interested in covering it up. Cheaters will be caught and exposed.

The only bad press is for the cheater.

With the logic of saying this isolated case is "This is bad press for tourney guys" is like saying Anvils are are getting bad press because they hurt coyotes.

Craig
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by riverdog »

Insert "Like" button in above post!
Fishing the St.Lawrence 12 months a year!
Haulin Bass
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Haulin Bass »

So if these guys are proven to be cheaters they broke the rules and should pay for it. But what about the subtle little cheats, if you will call them that, that go on all the time when it comes to fishing? The old try to sneak a peak at what other anglers are catching fish on, or trying to snipe their spots or getting inside info on where to fish and what to use from someone else, would this not be a form of cheating or is it just good fishing savy. :D
Supernova224
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Supernova224 »

Craig, there's a reason that the winners of some of the biggest bass tournaments are subjected to polygraph tests, and it isn't to find out what baits they were using.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

It surely is a Black Eye and it stinks due to the actions of a pair of jackasses.

What saddens me the most is how it was handled, though in the heat of it I'd bet it was difficult to hatch any kind of plan.

The baskets should have been left in the water and a sting operation put in place. Another option would have been to mark every fish in the baskets and put the baskets back in and let them bring them to the scales. At this point, legally they've done nothing wrong. What MNR reg did they break? None or if so it wouldn't be something the MNR would bother with. Fraud? Yes, if they brought the fish in. Again the OPP is too busy giving out texting tickets to bother with this nonsense.

DAILY dozens of folks are defrauded of THOUSANDS of dollars. Rarely is anything done about it. My folks retirement savings were compromised last winter while in Florida. Their bank told them to go to Police, squat was done. Not surprised really. It's petty when it comes to some of the garbage that has gone on lately. Even if they did nail these guys with Fraud, what would they get? Probation at best. Who cares?

What I do care about is that in the court of Public Opinion they are dead. The people that they considered peers at some point are all well aware of how much of a piece of crap they are. They will never fish another tournament. They'll be scoffed at when arriving at boat ramps or tackle shops. That's what matters to me and with the help of social media the word spread in about 2 hours. Awesome.

RJ
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I agree, it was handled totally wrong. Once the baskets were moved, pretty much any evidence that could have made charges was compromised. I have heard of similar instances where the fish's fins were clipped then returned to the cage. When the guilty parties weighed them in, they were charged right there in front of all their fellow competitors.

Even without this though, I would say the alleged teams tournament days are done. Their faces have been plastered all over the social media.

Ed
Last edited by toobinator on Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

RJ wrote:It surely is a Black Eye and it stinks due to the actions of a pair of jackasses.
You said it Rob. But when I say " Not good press either now for the tourney guys." I guess I'm stirring the pot according to some.
Oneeleven wrote:Given Smitty's track record for being less than... nice on here?
Tia, seeing as you haven't been on here very long I'll give you a break on that one. When it comes to stirring the pot I can't hold a candle to some of the members on here. In fact there are only 2 members on here that I haven't been nice to at times on purpose, and believe me they had it coming in spades. If you were to make sure of your facts first, you would have realized that before making an ill informed comment. In fact, why don't you take a poll of all the members here to see who I haven't been nice to, and others that I have helped over the years. I'd be very interested in your results.
Like my tag line says, I'm a straight shooter. No pc bs for me. I tell it like it is. If someone gets on my case, I will respond in kind. I will also stick up for others at times. How you could think that by saying that this isn't good press for the tourney scene is stirring the pot is beyond me. It surely can't be good news can it? Or maybe you were just having an off day. It happens.

One more thing Tia. If, as you seem to think, that I have it in for tourney guys, then the OH JOY thread would have been the perfect time for me to jump in with both feet. But I only made one small post on the subject and then a second one off topic at the end to Adam about duck hunters.

Cheers
Smitty

Straight shooter
smitty55
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by smitty55 »

For those interested in some other perspectives, there's a 5 page thread on OFC. http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/foru ... opic=80187
Smitty

Straight shooter