Cedar Planking

Lots of people love fish. They are good for you and taste great. Please tell us how you prepare and cook your fish.
fenderbender
Participant
Participant

Cedar Planking

Post by fenderbender »

Just discovered cedar planked salmon this year. Also tried it with lake trout and rainbow trout. Awesome, unique smoke flavor and well worth the extra effort! Here's how I do it (they say it also works in the oven, but the smoke might be an issue):

Western red cedar works best. Other cedar species are a too aromatic and the flavor is too strong, almost overpowering. I tried local white cedar and trust me, western red wins hands-down. I hear that you can do the same with any hardwood as well, but I haven't tried it. They sell cedar planks for cooking at Canadian Tire, but they are very expensive. Go to any lumber store and buy a 1X6 red cedar fence board for a couple bucks, just make sure it's not treated with anything (I've never come across cedar that has been treated, but it's good to check anyway). Cut it into 10" or 12" pieces (depends on the size of the fillets). I like to sand them off a bit to get down to the bare, fresh wood. Make sure that your fillet fits on the plank without any meat hanging over the side.

Soak the plank in water for at least 1 - 1-1/2 hour. Fire up the barby on max and let it heat up to 425 - 450. While it's heating up, prepare the fish. A skin-on fillet works best so that the fish oil permeates the flesh. Cover the flesh side liberally with any standard fish spices that you like (I like garlic, lemon pepper, a bit of salt, and parsley). Slice up an onion (green onions or leeks also work well) and keep it aside for now.

Take your plank out of the water, pat one side dry with a paper towel and then wipe it down liberally with olive oil ON THE DRY SIDE ONLY. Any cooking oil will do, but I like the taste with olive oil.

Keep the barby turned up high and when it reaches 425 - 450, put the plank in and close the lid. Now here's the secret. After a few minutes you will hear the plank start to pop, kinda like popcorn. Wait until you hear it popping every few seconds. You should also start to see some smoke. Open the lid and you should see that the plank is starting to smolder on the bottom and corners and it should be smoking nicely. Turn the barby down to medium (about 325 - 350).

WEAR GLOVES! Place a layer of the onions on the plank, and then lay your fillet on top. Make sure that the fillet is not hanging over the side of the plank (should should have checked the size before you started). It won't take long, probably 10-15 minutes max with a good sized salmon fillet. The trick is to leave it long enough to get a good smoking (and steaming from the water in the wood), but not so long that it overcooks. Like any other method, the fish flakes easily when it's done. I like lots of smoke so I leave it a minute or two longer than I would using other methods. The trick is to watch that the heat doesn't get above 350 and that the plank keeps smoking profusely.

I like to pull the plank (and the fish) out of the barby, let it cool off a bit, and serve it right on the plank. Makes people think you're a gourmet chef LOL! The bottom of the plank will be kinda black, so you'll need a plate under it. A white table cloth probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Trust me, it's like nothing you ever tasted before, (unless you've tried planked fish done right before, obviously). Everyone I've fed this too absolutely loved it.
Sportspal
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sportspal »

When you put the fillet on top of the plank, since it has onions on it, can I assume skin up, meat down?
fenderbender
Participant
Participant

Post by fenderbender »

Sorry, should have mentioned skin side down. The onions will still permeate the flesh and they end up tasting good too. Also, close the lid while the fish is cooking.
Fishtraks
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishtraks »

We sliced a lemon and spread the slices along the length. Then sprinkled generously with chives, and Old Bay seafood spice, and near the end we drizzle maple syrup over the top. :wink:

YUM YUM!!
here's the before and after cooking shots.....

slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Man that looks tasty! Thanks for sharing the how-to and especially the pic's!

Question: Where can I buy Old Bay seafood spice and does it go well with Walleye, Pike, panfish etc...??

Thanks,

Grant.
Fishtraks
Participant
Participant

Post by Fishtraks »

SLOP.I can't imagine why you couldn't use it on walleye etc...it is very versatile..my sister used to have this stuff in Maryland several years ago and I'd bring some back. You couldn't get it here then. But the bottle in the pic was bought at one of the superstores here in Ottawa ...loblaws?? that was several months ago. i make my own tartar sauce and add about 1/2 tspn. BBQing planked salmon.....check for placement of the board over the main(keyword) part of the flame. you really have to watch the condition of the BOTTOM of the board for the first few minutes. if the heat's too high, you can severly burn the bottom of the board very quickly. then the food tastes burnt.(isn't that strange?). start low, and if no smoke, turn up. rather than starting high. adjust the flame till u have smoke, but not blotting out the sun. tharts ma 4 pennies. have fun cooking...FT.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

I tried cedar plank trout drizzled with maple syrup when I was up North in June...it was tasty but I still prefer the good old "one-dish in foil meal".....Lake trout filets, spices, onion, broccoli, baby potatoes, lake trout cheeks, olive oil and a big chunk of butter all wrapped in tin foil