Hunting- defective shotgun/Lebaron's WARNING

JC
Participant
Participant

Post by JC »

Yes I agree, the Cabela's catalog is somewhat of a bible, too bad they can't list their firearms as well :?

Speaking of fire arms, I just started hunting a couple years ago and have only my crossbow, want to buy a rifle or rifled shot gun this year. Any opinions either way and a good place to purchase besides LeBaron!! LOL

thanks
<*(((((((><<<
J
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

I received the Cabela's Fall/Winter catalogue just a couple of weeks ago and it has all their firearms and accessories in it. Seems like a really good selection too. Ordered the catalogue off their website-no cost.
Beanzy
Participant
Participant

Post by Beanzy »

I,ve never had any luck with Lebaron also but a bum 870 wow never heard of that the only prob we had was a bunch of shell,s getting stuck in the action during deer hunt one year.My wife wants a rem combo slug barrel/feild in camo we looked at them at Bass Pro in May the only prob there was the guy wanted to see our PAL/FAC. I put my finger over my address but the guy insisted on holding the card what I,am getting at is with today,s computer age of scanning and quick pic he could have scanned all our info just like that.I told him I would hold it and he could see it was valid and this was the first time I had to ever show it to look at firearm .The small town gun dealers don,t ask until you buy so buy from the little guy hope ya get ever thing straighted out. :?
Beanzy
Participant
Participant

Post by Beanzy »

I,ve never had any luck with Lebaron also but a bum 870 wow never heard of that the only prob we had was a bunch of shell,s getting stuck in the action during deer hunt one year.My wife wants a rem combo slug barrel/feild in camo we looked at them at Bass Pro in May the only prob there was the guy wanted to see our PAL/FAC. I put my finger over my address but the guy insisted on holding the card what I,am getting at is with today,s computer age of scanning and quick pic he could have scanned all our info just like that.I told him I would hold it and he could see it was valid and this was the first time I had to ever show it to look at firearm .The small town gun dealers don,t ask until you buy so buy from the little guy hope ya get ever thing straighted out. :?
JC
Participant
Participant

Post by JC »

Joe28 wrote:I received the Cabela's Fall/Winter catalogue just a couple of weeks ago and it has all their firearms and accessories in it. Seems like a really good selection too. Ordered the catalogue off their website-no cost.
I as well have their new catalog, true they have muzzle loaders and air guns, but the one they delivered to my house has no shot guns or rifles?? :lol:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

In Ottawa and area:

Good places to buy guns:

1) Bennetts
2) Stittsville Shooting Range
3) Al's Corner Store and Gas
4) My Gun Smith (Cheapest...but has to order it in....doesn't carry stock)
5) Gunco-Good selection of used rifles/shotguns.

Hope this helps!

P.S: What calibre's are you looking for and what do you want to spend?
I use all Browning's save my shotguns and 1 rifle.
JC
Participant
Participant

Post by JC »

Slug gun I was thinking of the 870 synthetic Trio at Noris' in Wesport, allow me to have a gun for turkey and deer!:lol:
OR
Tikka T3 light synthetic or the Varmint,
caliber I was looking at was 30-06 or .308....
What do you think?

CHeeRS
J
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

The 870 trio is excellent.

The Tikka is a great gun, however Varmint does not come in .30-06 or .308. The Varmint has smaller rounds as it is meant to be used to kill varmints.

But yes the T3 is a great gun. I'd suggest IMHO (Don't want or need other people jumping down my throat on this!!!) that you get a .308.

Reason being,

1) It is a short action rifle. So the barrel is longer and is easier to manoeuvre in the tight areas where big bucks roam.

2) Ammunition is common and available everywhere.

I have bothe a .308 and a .30-06. I like them both. However, if I had to choose 1 it would be the .308 for the reasons I stated.

Yes, I'll agree that on average the .30-06 has more range as it is a longer cartridge. However, you can buy some really awsome .308 loads.

Unless you plan on shooting game at over 200 yds, only then does size of round/magnum make a difference.

Trust me I shot a moose at 75 yds with a .300 win mag. This is a "moose" gun! We lost half of the shoulder from damage due to the round!

You really do not need all that power!

2 facts for you on guns:

1) The .30-30 has taken more game than any other calibre weapon in North America.

2) Biggest Grizzly was killed with a .22LR!!!
(However the little girl walked up behind it and shot it behind the ear)

Just some food for thought!

Its too bad but the Eastern Ontario Handgun Club used to have a classifieds section on the site. Some awsome deals on guns and re-loading equipment could be found on there!

Good luck in your quest!

J
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

TheFishCoop wrote:
Joe28 wrote:I received the Cabela's Fall/Winter catalogue just a couple of weeks ago and it has all their firearms and accessories in it. Seems like a really good selection too. Ordered the catalogue off their website-no cost.
I as well have their new catalog, true they have muzzle loaders and air guns, but the one they delivered to my house has no shot guns or rifles?? :lol:
The catalogue I received has everything... about 40 pages of shotguns, rifles, muzzle loaders, air rifles etc. plus lots of other firearm stuff. I only got it recently and its the 2008 Fall/Winter Master Catalog. www.cabelas.ca
TMH
Participant
Participant

Post by TMH »

Joe28 wrote:
TheFishCoop wrote:
The catalogue I received has everything... about 40 pages of shotguns, rifles, muzzle loaders, air rifles etc. plus lots of other firearm stuff. I only got it recently and its the 2008 Fall/Winter Master Catalog. www.cabelas.ca
It's because Cabela's took over SIR in winnipeg and you're getting the canadian cabela's catalogue.
JC
Participant
Participant

Post by JC »

Its true, I just signed up for it, completely forgot that Cabela's took over SIR for Canadian market.

As well Jamsers on the Tikka site it does state that the varmint comes in 30-06, I do understand that it is for varmint but I like the look of it better. actually just checked and its 30-06 sprg, what is sprg?

thanks
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

sprg = Springfeild :idea: :idea:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thanks BA,

Springfield Arms Co were the ones who developed the .30-06. It was the earliest used sniper round.
Later replaced with the .308. Alot of gun nuts buy tactical guns in .308 as a result. NATO has now gone on to another round.

The Varmint looks cool but it is only small calibre's. Not suitable for anything bigger than a coyote.

I use BLR and A-bolts by Browning. Never had an issue with one. I did have a pin slip once but the gun was soaked as I was out in the rain all day. Cleaned and oiled her and she's been perfect since!

J
JC
Participant
Participant

Post by JC »

Thanks for all the input!!

One last question, I have read a lot about the new sabot's but have not spoke to anyone first (this is close enough!!) are they as good as they sound, if I decide to go with the TRIO for the year?

Thanks Again

J
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Its personal choice. Do you like Ford, GM etc.
Some guys like slugs, others like Sabots.

My friend uses a TC Encore Muzzleloader and SWEARS by sabots.
He likes the points on them and how they shoot.

My suggestion is to get the 870 trio, a good red dot and a box of both slugs and sabots.

Try them out on a target. Whichever shoots best for YOU is the best way to go.

J