Grouse hunting around Ottawa

Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Grouse hunting around Ottawa

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I'm new to the area. Moved from Sudbury last winter. Is there anywhere near Ottawa (preferably on the Ontario side) where I can find decent numbers of grouse? I know there's probably some around Cloyne/Kaladar, and towards Pembroke, but I see there's a big Park there. Anyone have any input? Thanks

Yannick
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Grouse are very cyclical. Some years are good, others are bad.
With the mild winter last year, but alot of snow....we MAY have a good year.

In Ottawa. Marlborough Forest and Limerick Forests hold alot of grouse.
It is permiseable to use firearms in these parks.

I also know a game farm where you can go and pay to hunt Pheasants and Chuckars. It is in Clayton.
The cost is very reasonable, it is guided and they provide the dogs.
They hide the birds in selected fields before you go out. It is more difficult and fun than you think!!!
If you want the info just PM me.

J
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

thanks Jamsers,
been hunting them my whole life, and have a diploma in wildlife management, I know all about the 9 year cycles :lol: If ever you have a wildlife question, i'm your guy. Do you hunt them? We could maybe get a day in at one point.
Thanks again, greatly appreciated

Yannick
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

fisherguy33,

I hunt just about anything you can get a tag for. Moose, Deer, Bear, Duck, Goose, Grouse, Turkey, Coyote, Pronghorn (next year!!!)

I tend to leave groundhogs, raccoons alone.

I have 150 acres that has been known to produce a few grouse and other upland game. So getting out shouldn't be an issue. Although the area is dense in tree's if you tread lightly you can get em before they fly off.

J
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

My suggestion is to try the Larose Forest near Vars.

Good grouse hunting there...

I've just stayed on the gravel paths and taken many grouse out of there, mainly in the section nearest Vars.

They have a relatively new 'No Vehicles' rule there now. So its best to 'Park', they do patrol now. I had always just walked the trails but they patrol often so maybe the trails aren't that good anymore.
OTRA
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by OTRA »

Welcome to the forum.

Do you hunt with dogs? I just got a new Llewellin puppy. Hunting this year with my 2 1/2 year old Lab--she's a retrieving machine, but not a real strong nose on her.
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Thanks for the help everyone! Jamsers, pm me anytime after season opens and I'm there! I'll surely try the Larose Forest since I live in Rockland and it's relatively close. I usually hunt with my dog "Muskie". She's only been around for one season but she was a great retriever last fall. only 4 days to opening!

thanks again,
Yannick
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

I've tried my hand at grouse hunting a few times. I think I'm too clumsy, they always flush before I get close enough :lol:

Hoping to give it another shot this fall though.
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

No idea about the grouse but i do know you have a lot of geese in your area. Do u hunt waterfowl?
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I usually tag out on them moose hunting. Seems the grouse fly into the trees when your having a pee. Gotta love those sizer rounds!!! Makes it a hell of alot easier than carrying around 2 guns.

I don't use dogs for grouse. They usually only fly 30-60 yrds away and perch up in a tree. Too easy.....they are a stupid bird...

But very tasty!

J
Strelec
Participant
Participant

Post by Strelec »

Hello,
I looked up the Limerick Forest suggestion that was posted, and it looks pretty good. However, I'm unable to find specific info on where to go. Does anyone have any suggestions on where specifically in Limerick Forest to go? Where do you park? I'm new to hunting in Ontario, as is my father, so we aren't sure of where to go for what. What else could we expect to find in Limerick Forest that we could hunt?
Thanks for any help.
Muskie4L
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskie4L »

topic Moved :D
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I have found that the best place to go is to head toward the Limerick from Merrickville. Park along the road and walk in.

Deer, grouse and wild turkey are in the area. So is the odd bear...but rare.
Rabbit, coyote are also in the forest.

Happy hunting.

Be careful when hunting rifle season for deer in Marlborough and Limerick. Everyone and their freakin unlce is out...alot of yahoo's!!!

J
Strelec
Participant
Participant

Post by Strelec »

Thanks Jamsers, we'll definitely try that area this season. Do you know if it's ok to just bring our shotguns there to do some shooting? I have a new gun and wanted to get out and do some target shooting, but would also like to check the area out. Do you have any advice on that?
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Strelec,

Not sure about target shooting. If that's all you want to do the Stittsville shooting range is open to the public for that. They have skeet towers and rifle ranges. I think it costs $15.00???