Eastern Ontario Butchers

bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Eastern Ontario Butchers

Post by bradford2 »

Jamsers and Joe28, you guys mentioned you know some butchers in the Ottawa area that butcher deer for 35-50 dollars?

Maybe a list would be a good idea, for other people as well. And those seem like real good prices.

The only one I've ever used was Merv Robinson in Oxford Station. Not sure if he's still doing it, but 3 years ago it was $40.

Anyone else in the area?
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

This is the ad from the Kanata-West Carleton Weekly for a butcher in Kinburn (about 15minutes from Kanata).

Back-Country Butchers
Wild Game Meat Cutting
All Deer $50
*New* Temperature Controlled Hanging Facility & Walk-In Freezer
Monday-Saturday
Caleb Yuck, Kinburn, 832-2646

The paper did an article on this business and showed pictures of their huge walk-in freezer as well.
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

A couple more ads from the paper... No prices though.

Scotch Corners Wild Game Processing
7:30-5:30pm for Wild Game processing and meat for storage
1864 Scotch Scotch Corners rd.
(613) 257-3421

Wild Game Hunters. Let us cut and wrap your wild game professionally. By appointment only. Call Derrick or Bob at The Garden Market (613) 283-4821
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

I used the one in kinburn two years ago. They do a pretty decent job.

If you have a garage or a work area, there's really nothing to butchering a deer. I looked at a butchering chart online and did 3 in my garage last year. It was a bit time consuming (3 hours per deer: cut, washed, wrapped), but I really like the idea of knowing my meat didn't get mixed up with someone elses, and I was a wee bit meticulous in the boning, and cleaning of the sinew (silverline, tendon, whatever you want to call it).
I'm all for doing everything myself and saving a buck or two when possible..... Which lead me into the sausage/pepperette business. Pics to follow....... you'd be surprised what can happen in fatluke's kitchen!!
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

fatluke wrote:I used the one in kinburn two years ago. They do a pretty decent job.

If you have a garage or a work area, there's really nothing to butchering a deer. I looked at a butchering chart online and did 3 in my garage last year. It was a bit time consuming (3 hours per deer: cut, washed, wrapped), but I really like the idea of knowing my meat didn't get mixed up with someone elses, and I was a wee bit meticulous in the boning, and cleaning of the sinew (silverline, tendon, whatever you want to call it).
I'm all for doing everything myself and saving a buck or two when possible..... Which lead me into the sausage/pepperette business. Pics to follow....... you'd be surprised what can happen in fatluke's kitchen!!
I agree completely. In the last three years I've butchered myself or helped butcher over a dozen deer. It's not hard at all. I've got a cabelas 1 horse grinder and make all my own sausage, summer sausage, and pepperettes as well.

It's just nice to have a list of places for warm weather.... if for whatever reason I couldn't do a deer right away. So far this year it hasn't been an issue as the deer seem to be avoiding me :cry:
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Brad I think there is a butcher on Dunning road close to Sarsfield.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
TMH
Participant
Participant

Post by TMH »

Back Country Butchers is 70$ this year.. Last year it was 65$. Both last year and this year they've done a great job and will continue using them.
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Joe28 wrote:A couple more ads from the paper... No prices though.

Scotch Corners Wild Game Processing
7:30-5:30pm for Wild Game processing and meat for storage
1864 Scotch Scotch Corners rd.
(613) 257-3421
I am not sure if this place has re-opened or not...It was the site of that huge $1,000,000 drug bust a few months ago. The guy was forced at gun point to give up all the weed but got free from the guys, called the cops and the two guys who were robbing him got arrested and then he got arrested for the grow op. Now maybe it would be good to go and have some marijuana deer pepperettes....mmmmm :lol:
bait girl
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Butchers

Post by bait girl »

Just a reminder Back Country Butchers is closed Sundays

I have had a few guys come in and mention: Neil's Butcher block in south Mountain.

Bait girl :wink:
franklauzon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Neils

Post by franklauzon »

As far as I know, Neils is closed, and is not reopening.

Unfortunately Neil passed away this winter during the last big storm, no one is taking it over.

Dan, the butcher shop on Dunning is

Country Meat & Kitchen
3004 Dunning Rd, Sarsfield, ON K0A 3E0
Telephone : 613-835-3653
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Thanks Frank!!! We butchered ourselves because of the warm weather last week.

Bearbrook Farms in Vars make pretty decent sausages!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
franklauzon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Same here

Post by franklauzon »

We've been butchering, and processing (Sausage) our own deer for 5 years now, and don't see myself ever going back. We can do a deer in about an hour, all cleaned up, and ground up.
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

I guess I DID know an Ottawa area butcher that charged $50... now its supposedly $70 there. Still a good deal... I'll do it myself though from now on...