Gun Ranges/Target Practice areas

Robert Goulet
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Gun Ranges/Target Practice areas

Post by Robert Goulet »

Hey All,

I stopped by the Stittsville Gun range today and was surprised and disappointed to find out that they aren't open throughout the week. Seeing as this is the busiest time of year you would think that they would want to have their range and outfitter shop open but I guess they see things differently.

Does anyone know of any other gun clubs/ranges or target practice areas to fire off a few rounds.

I live in Orleans but I am open to going anywhere that I will be able to safely sight in my rifle.
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

Years ago I used to target practice in the Larose Forest near Vars. Last time I went though I was stopped as I entered as they had just introduced a 'No Vehicles in Larose Forest' rule.

I asked if I could shoot or bow-hunt and the By-law officer didn't know :shock: .

I've been back hunting there since then. I just parked at the edge and walked in.

So I think its okay to target shoot there but it may be best to call the Vars, Embrun or Limoges township offices to make sure. Its close to Orleans anyway.
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

I think the only option in the east end is the gun club in Larose. Never been myself as I dont think it's too cheap....
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Stittsville gun range is a side business for them. They own BOWMAC which is the company that supplies guns to all the stores in most of Canada. We are talking a warehouse full of firearms. The range is just a thing on the side. I know this as one of the owners has known my wife since she was 4.

As for target practice. You are best to find some crown land and go on it to shoot. You are correct in that there are not many places to hunt/shoot publicly.

To shoot at the EOHC in the Larose Forest you must join as a member. Bradford is correct in that it is not cheap to join. I know as I was a member of the Arnprior handgun club and we use to compete against the EOHC etc.

My suggestion, and what I do, is ask a farmer very politely if you could use his property to site in your gun. You'll be an hour tops and offer something in return. Usually they say yes, may offer you a new place to hunt and rarely accept your offer.......unless of course it is free labour.

I usually go to the farm I hunt on, my hunting property or I ask my gunsmith if I can use the range in his backyard.

Good luck. If you get really stuck I can help you out in the west end.

J
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Have you tried Smiths Falls..they have a good club at cheap prices too. My buddy is a member there and I go out with him a lot...They have a 25yd handgun range...50yd...200yd rifle range...skeet shooting range and this year they added a bow range...It is outdoors so gets cold in the fall months but still a good spot with not to much traffic at the ranges.
BRADOR7
Participant
Participant

Target Practicing in Larose Forest

Post by BRADOR7 »

As for Larose Forest,the only place to target practice is at the Gun Club and it is not cheap,must be a member. Talked to them last year and they are looking at maybe letting general public in for a fee to sight their guns but it has not yet been finalized. As far as practicing in Larose --- DON'T. I have already come across this problem and was advised by their management personnel that there is absolutely no target practicing in the forest. Glad I had met them several times earlier and they knew me or I may not of ended up with a friendly warning......
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Smiths Falls gun club charges about $125 per year last time I checked.
H&S
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

$140 for the whoole family. I know I'm a member.

As for guess, the policy has changed to limit their visit in the presence of a member to only two visits, afterwards it is strongly recommended that the visitor join the Club.

I helped build the Archery Butt Target. Just waiting for more money from the budget, so we can build an archery range path throughout the property.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

I just go onto any crown land and have at er. I'm surprised that you can't in Larose, is it not crown? You can get maps that show where the crown land is from the MNR and other sources
Robert Goulet
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Robert Goulet »

Thanks for the input Brador

I love Larose...I had a great time trekking through the woods this fall looking for birds. Although I didn't shoot anything, it was a beautiful place to hunt. I did actually come across a nice Bull moose on one of my trips in the bush...it was quite the sight.

On a side note, I don't believe that it is technically considered "Crown Land" as if I'm not mistaken I believe the entire area is owned and managed by the Townships of Prescott and Russell.

Regardless, as I've come to discover I was able to find some crown land out in the East end to light er' up in preparation for Deer season.