Ottawa River Duck Hunting

Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Ottawa River Duck Hunting

Post by Joe28 »

Hi everyone,

I'm considering trying for some duck and geese on the Quebec side of the Ottawa river. Is it legal to use my Ontaro migratory birds license or is a Quebec license required?

I'm guessing that a Quebec license is needed but am hoping the hunting regs are similar to the fishing regs so I don't need to purchase another license.

I'm on dialup and the Quebec regs are taking forever to download so I thought I'd see if anyone knew or had done this before.

Thanks and happy hunting
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Joe,
Im pretty sure that you will need a Quebec small game license along with the migratory game bird stamp. Do you have a specific spot on the Quebec side you want to try or just don't know any spots on the Ontario side? If you want send me a PM as I do a lot of duck hunting on the river and your more than welcome to join me sometime if you want.

orrsey
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

Thanks Orrsey,

Yes, its a spot upstream from Ottawa on the Quebec side that has had geese the last few weeks. I'm thinking of making camo for my tinny and then boating there. I've never hunted on the Ottawa before and don't really know any spots other than this one. Well, it seems like a good spot anyway...
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

Orrsey,

It'd be great to get out for some bird hunting. Hopefully, I'll get a few days of deer in this week and then its back to the bird hunting. I was thinking for the boat I'd make some camo out of wire and 'bull rushes' or similar looking plants. Should do the job anyway...

Joe
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Lots of geese and ducks on the Ottawa River, especially in and around downtown Ottawa and the Almagamated Gatineau City. Just be carefull you are not inside City(ies) boundary(ies).

And yes you need a QC small game's license to add to your Federal Migratory license/stamp.

I have both QC & ON small games licenses for that occasion and also to hunt wild-turkey on the ON side.

Mind you, I never hunted the Ottawa River, even if I made myself a duck boat.

Good luck.
Last edited by LeGrand on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

I called this morning and they said its legal if I have my Ontario tags, which I do already so I'm good to go!
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Be aware, if it's like fishing permits on the Ottawa River, you better not only have an Ontario license and step on the QC side (shore) with a catch (without your QC license).

If you leave from the ON shore and stay on the water and cross over to the QC with only your ON small game license, then I guess you are OK. But if you launch your boat from the QC side, be very carefull.

My 2 cents.

Good hunting.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

LeGrand those are not the fishing rules, You can launch from either side with either license on border watersto fish and you can bring back fish also. All you have to remember is to follow the regulations of the side that you are fishing on.

Do a little search on F-H and those rules have been well discussed.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Wallyboss, I got my information from the FAPAQ/SEPAQ Office in Hull, QC from a biologist/game warden.

Better check than be sorry.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Exactly, you better check before giving wrong info!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Wally, it has been a year since I had checked, and just checked with the Hull Office about the rules.

You are right, I was induced in error.

Either ON or QC fishing licenses can be used to fish the Ottawa river (i.e., WMU 17 in Ontario, and Zone 25 in QC). There is also no problem with either accessing by either shores with a catch of fish, as long as you respect the Provincial regulations on fish species caught.

The only restriction on the QC side is to wonder from the Ottawa River by boat to in-water (small tributaries leading to rivers or lakes feeding the Ottawa River).

Thank you for your observation.
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

HUNTING.... yes... HUNTING... that's what I was wonderng about... hunting!

Yeah, well I'm going to boat across and HUNT the Quebec side. Shotguns and shells will be involved. Ducks and geese will be shot... all the Quebec fish shall be spared. So... your petty fishing argument is ridiculous and unnecessary. So... settle down ladies...
Last edited by Joe28 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

Check my previous post.

Thank you for your observation.

Live and learn.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Last time I looked F-H was still a site that somebody can find the right info. And when wrong info is unknowingly given it should be corrected.

So Joe if somebody has his underwear in knots, you might want to check if it's a Palomar!!!!!Sorry that is a fishing knot.

LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

I did not take wallyboss' comments as negative. I am glad he pointed it to me, since I was led in error in the pass and he gave me a chance to re-check my knowledge on the topic with the Hull Office.

Now I'm aware of the real facts and regs.

One has to accept that one is human and can told that he (I) has stated wrong info that he should accept the comments and settle the issue as quickly as possible for the benefit of the Forum members.

And my apoligies to the Forum members and the specifically to Joe28 for having disturbed his post on hunting.

As a matter of curiosity Joe28, where about's were you considering going on that QC side (near Luskville ??).

Did you guy's read the Sun's outdoorsguy (Jeff Morrisson) column about duck hunting in the Constance Creek area? Cool.

Here is a portion

HUNTING TIPS

Clayton Brockett is an avid waterfowler who hunts Calabogie Lake and Constance Creek. Brockett bagged lots of huge black ducks, mallards, wood ducks, American widgeon, and even the odd blue-winged teal. He hunts grassy bay at Calabogie and the stretch of Constance Creek between Thomas Dolan and the village of Constance Bay. A city bylaw allows hunting only on the creek from Thomas Dolan North, as the south side of the road was in the City of Ottawa and was shut down with the old bylaw. The Delta Waterfowl member had no objection to publishing his favourite hunting spots, as other hunters already know about them.