Dream deer season for me!!

smokercraft
Participant
Participant

Dream deer season for me!!

Post by smokercraft »

Well, another year of deer hunting has come and gone for me. I have to say that this was by far my best and most fortunate year by far. First chase on opening day a nice 8 pointer cam out to me on a watch and I got him.
We had 6 deer after day 1 and with the warm weather, everyone had to leave the camp first thing on wednesday to get the deer butchered so it would not spoil. Everyone came back to the camp on thursday morning and we hunted all day. A few deer seen but nothing was gotten. Then... first chase friday morning a doe and 2 fawns trot out to me on my watch, I let them go by at about 30 yards, something catches my eye and a monster 10 pointer is sneaking past right behind them. 1 shot and he drops. He was 211lbs field dressed and had a huge rack! 21 3/4 inches between the main beams.
I am thinking all day about whether the wife will divorce me if I get another head mount done... Last chase on the same day a doe comes right out to me about 60 yards away. I smile at her and let her walk away, and just like last time a monster buck is not far behind her sneaking his way through the brush. One shot and the buck jumps in the air and stops behind trees. I can see his head facing away from me and he was slowly scanning from side to side smelling/listening/looking. I crouch/kneel into a better position and take aim. As soon as the gun cracks, down he goes like a stone. This one was also a massive 10 pointer with a 21 1/4 inch spread between his main beams. His horns were very heavy and thick right to the tips. He weighed in at 202 lbs field dressed.
By far the best and most memorable hunt ever for me.
img][/img]
Last edited by smokercraft on Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

And we had our worst year in 20 years. We usually tag out by Wed. and we still have 6 tags left. The area we hunt the deer use it as a wintering area. All the other hunting camps around were saying the same thing. I hunt around Burnstown between the 17 and Calabogie.
Congrats on having a good year. Where do you hunt??
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
smokercraft
Participant
Participant

Post by smokercraft »

We hunt in the Griffith area. Do you know how to get my pics to show up? I have heard of a few gangs that are having a hard time filling tags this year. I don't think there are as many deer around as last year.
Leechman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Leechman »

Great report and pics smokercraft :)

Congratulation on your harvests :D Real nice bucks you got :D
Had the same scenario as yours..... shot an 8 pointer Wednesday morning and Thursday afternoon came back to get it butchered so that we don't waste the meat.

Ran out of time so instead of doing the butchering our selfves, had an appointment with a butcher shop for 11:00pm. Got back to camp on Friday morning to continue the hunt but did not see anything else :cry:

The fillets were so tender and not to strong of a taste that they were cooked it in butter, salt & pepper only 8)

Again congratulation on a great hunt :D
Fish Finder
bardern
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bardern »

wow congrats on a great week and I love the old school 94! .30-.30 or that old shoulder breaker .45-.70 gov?

Groups around here are reporting a huge decrease in deer sighted. Common opinion has the hard winter, coyotes and too many tags have knocked the numbers WAY down.
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Wow! Dream season is right! Good so see someone getting some good action. It's been slow for me, thats for sure.

I see two deer mounts in your future now.....

Congrats!
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Theres a couple of Big Bucks that didn't get away..........

Congrats 8) 8)

Like Ummmmmmm...just how many deer is one person allowed in your area :? :? :? :? :o :o :o
smokercraft
Participant
Participant

Post by smokercraft »

In Ontario, you can party hunt... meaning if there are 8 people in the hunting gang with deer tags, you can hunt as a group to fill all of your 8 tags. One person could shoot 8 deer if he/she wanted to. I think in Quebec it is different though and only the person with the tag can shoot the deer and then they are done for the year...
Leechman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Leechman »

smokercraft wrote:In Ontario, you can party hunt... meaning if there are 8 people in the hunting gang with deer tags, you can hunt as a group to fill all of your 8 tags. One person could shoot 8 deer if he/she wanted to. I think in Quebec it is different though and only the person with the tag can shoot the deer and then they are done for the year...
True smokercraft.... you guys in Ontario have the party hunt and in Quebec don't, once we shoot and tag..... that's it no more hunting. Wish we had this type of hunting in Quebec
FF
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Ok ,now i remember :oops: Man,, you are one lucky Dude ...

Congrats Again.........
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Very nice, you might have to change your name to buckmaster
smokercraft
Participant
Participant

Post by smokercraft »

Well, good news..... not getting divorced after all..... but I have decided to finish the rest of my basement and I am going to build myself a "trophy room" that way she has no reason to complain.... also thinking about trying my hand at taxidermy.... I bought a video collection from the states on learning taxidermy and think I might give it a go
the bogie Man
Participant
Participant

Post by the bogie Man »

wow really nice deer how does photo shop work again>
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

man that was a good harvest congrats!!
Life goes on