Must Read

Post by LeGrand »

See Public comments at end of this web page link

--------

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2 ... 81120.html

Urban deer-hunting could make Ottawa roads safer, hunter says
Last Updated: Thursday, November 20, 2008 | 11:16 AM ET Comments11Recommend4

CBC News

Ontario's most dangerous city for deer-vehicle collisions should make it legal to hunt deer with a bow within city limits, a local hunter says.
"There's going to be some people who don't agree with it, but it is truly the only answer," said Larry Smith, who has been hunting deer with a bow and arrow for 40 years.

According to the City of Ottawa, deer collided with 731 vehicles last year — more than in any other city in Ontario. The Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources says many of the collisions happen near the end of November, the mating season for deer.

The City of Ottawa has put up extra warning signs in high-risk areas and has worked to educate drivers on the dangers of speeding in rural areas, said Jerry Thomas, the city's road safety co-ordinator.

He said its campaign has been effective, as there were almost 200 fewer deer collisions in 2007 than in 2005, before its public education campaign.
Warnings not enough: driver

André Levasseur, who hit a deer last month on Carling Avenue near Moodie Drive while commuting from Alymer, said the warnings are helpful.
"But obviously not enough."

He said he feels lucky to be in one piece after hitting the back legs of the deer that jumped in front of his car. He added that he's never seen so many deer so close to the city as he has this year.

Scott Smithers, a biologist with Ontario's Ministry of Natural Resources, said the deer population in the region is likely to grow if it isn't controlled.
"Across eastern Ontario, there really aren't any effective predators out there for deer. There's high-quality nourishment on the landscape."
Ottawa's deer problem is unique, he said, as many rural areas were drawn within city boundaries during amalgamation. The ministry typically uses hunting as a tool to manage deer populations, Smithers added.

Bow hunts used in other cities: hunter

But it is illegal to discharge firearms within city boundaries.
Smith said urban bow hunting is already used to control deer in Saskatoon, Edmonton and Calgary, and he wants Ottawa to look into it, too.

The practice involves sitting in trees and waiting for the deer to come into close range, and poses no risk to the public, he said, as bow hunters are "extremely responsible individuals."

Levasseur said he doesn't think hunting is the answer.

But Eli El-Chantiry, the city councillor for the rural ward of West-Carleton-March, said he's open to hear more about Smith's ideas.

El-Chantiry's ward leads the city in deer collisions, and he said he has struggled with complaints about the animals for 20 years.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Re public comments, omg the monumental ignorance of some of these tree huggers is just un-believeable. When you get comments like bowhunters will be sitting in trees shooting willy nilly at anything that moves including children......well there ya go, into the realm of the completely ridiculous.
Having a debate or town hall meeting is and has been in the past a complete waste of time with these anti-hunters, no good solutions can ever be reached.
IMO the ministry should have jurisdiction to allow a hunt, city counsel and anti-hunting groups should be taken completely out of the loop. Anyone who disrupts the hunt etc. could be dealt with under allready existing hunter harrasment laws.
Some of the meat going to the homeless shelters?......wow what a good idea..........right........WRONG, it will never happen either in this pc province for some reason.
TLunge
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

Yes, I agree.. the deer situation is ridiculous and very dangerous. I've hit three in the last 3 years... one absolutely destroyed my SUV. Many, many close calls too...

My next door neighbour was KILLED in a deer-car collision. That in itself is enough for serious action.

My buddy hit one last week. I have seen deer on March Rd. across from the Brookstreet Hotel. I have seen deer in Kanata near the Centrum Mall at the hydro lines.

Its crazy and its not going to change much. Deer numbers this season may be down for hunting but I'm still seeing basically the same amount as last year everyday in the west-end.

And as for those deer-collison numbers... how many aren't reported? My 1st and 2nd weren't. My buddies last week wasn't. I know of 11 other collisons in the last 2 years that weren't. If every incident was reported there would probably be an 8 week gun season.

But then again... the deer are cute... deadly but cute... and so nothing changes... still 2 weeks hunting... bow season doesn't do much.
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

I hunt with the local NCC head honchos and they have been pushing for this hunt for many many years. It most likely won't happen as it's too bureaucratic. Who gets first dibs? They would first have to open it up to Aboriginal communities and then have some kind of draw system.

They have a few sectors on the 417 corridor close to Orleans that have been slated but the organization and coordination of police, anti hunting groups and many other aspects have always put a halt to the approach.

They are also considering hunts in the Gatineau Park but again... how do you properly control hunting and public accesss.

It's unfortunate but it will take many collisions causing human deaths prior to this becoming a reality.
tombiosis
Participant
Participant

Post by tombiosis »

The over population of deer within the city can be solved by using bowhunting as the solution, but I agree with TLunge, it likely won't happen.
I hit a deer myself a few years back, resulting in $800 damage to my truck.
The powers that be need only look to the U.S. to see the efficacy of some management programs in certain States.
If a plan ever did come to fruition, I think you should have to harvest a doe or 2 before being allowed to take a buck. Can you imagine the increase in business for local taxidermists if we could hunt the monsters of Timm Drive or the experimental farm! Where do I sign up?
8)
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

I sent letters and e-mails to the appropriate people about this. And the result is... ???
Robert Goulet
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Robert Goulet »

I narrowly avoided a collision with 2 does last night coming from the airport just south of West Hunt Club on the airport parkway...I've never been that close before. There was a huge row of cars behind me all doing 80kmh+ and those deer were literally on the shoulder in a full sprint. I guarantee one if not both of them got tagged by somebody.

Hopefully they consider this as a viable option as it is bordering on ridiculous the number of deer collisions that take place in this city.
JC
Participant
Participant

Post by JC »

Joe28 wrote:I sent letters and e-mails to the appropriate people about this. And the result is... ???
Who are the appropriate people, if you share I will fire off a few emails too.
I myself have not had very many close calls in the city but I live pretty central, but most of my family lives in the west end and I hear a story once a week from a friend or a relative.