Migrating Deer

JC
Participant
Participant

Migrating Deer

Post by JC »

Couple quick questions if someone has a minute;

Will be heading up for 3 nights next weekend to WMU 55b, 59 or 58, not 100% sure which one? Have options with friends up there, but not sure how many yet,

Anyone have any thoughts about the deer migrating down through Round Lake? Have heard that for 10-12 days they migrate right through that area??? Didn't know deer migrated? Better land for winter food? This was first year with a rifle and my third year with a bow, so I'm not really in the know yet......
Just wondering if I should be pushing for the 55b option with those deer migrating.....

Any helpful advice would be great, still have not taking my first whitetail :(
Not to mention prolly the worst rifle season in years, great year for me to take that up...hehehehe
Na kidding just being in the bush away from the rat race is nice enought....sorta

CHeeRS
J
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

I haven't heard either about a deer migration. I'm curious to know if this in fact happens. In my area, west of Ottawa, I see roughly the same number of deer all year. But maybe they're just deer passing through...

I'm doubtful of that 10-12 days a year constraint... Seems like BS...

Happy hunting... hope to see some pics up on here!
DUBIE
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DUBIE »

I don't know about them migrating but I know down here after the first 5-10 cm of snow they Head somewheres lets. My trail cam does not pick any deer up after the snow falls, I think that they head to a spot that has more cover (ceder trees).
JC
Participant
Participant

Post by JC »

Here is the answer a member of the NAHC forum gave me....\

"Cannot give you specific info on your area but can tell you that in deep snow country deer do indeed migrate. They move from summer range to the deer yards. Here in upper Michigan they move to areas of dense swamp conifer, mostly cedar. Cedar is a good deer food and the snow is not as deep there because a lot is held in the crowns and evaporates. These lowland areas have far less wind also so body heat loss is minimal.

If you can locate a good migration trail, deer use the same ones every year, it is something to see. Up top two feet wide and packed down so hard you can almost ride a bicycle on it. Deer will travel it all day long and it may not be uncommon to see twenty, thirty, or more deer in a day. They usually travel in small groups so there are lots of eyes looking around whenever you move. In the areas where I live most deer seem to travel between nine in the morning and three or four in the afternoon. Nobody seems to be able to tell me exactly why.

Something to remember when hunting the migration. The further down the trail you are the more likely it is that the deer you see have been looked over by one or more other hunters before you get a chance at a shot. Also, it is not uncommon to see deer with red knobs on their heads. These are bucks that have just lost their antlers. If you are only looking for meat it would be a shame to shoot one of these. Good luck and let us know how you do."

What ya'll think....seem to make sense :?:
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

I 'google' searched it and supposedly they don't migrate as much as they used to. There is in fact NOT a whitetail migration. That makes sense anyway based upon what I have seen...
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

There is defineately a migration, its not an epic one like the caribou or anything but come the first good snow right around this time of year they do move into their favourite winter areas. I know lots of places where there are deer all summer/fall including during rifle week and then all of a sudden.....nothing....there gone for the rest of the winter. I know some other spots where the deer stack up for the winter and yes it seems to be in wet areas with alot of cedar. If you could find a good corridor where they migrate doring this time you would probably have some un-believable hunting, the trouble is finding them
Joe28
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Joe28 »

The deer don't seem to migrate, well, around Ottawa, Bogie area anyway. They're here all year long. They might move into a better bedding area but they're still here. They don't move as a herd at all, it seems.

Maybe the deer that are further north come south but it doesn't seem like it. Seems the same all year... but that's all I've seen anyway.

By migrate I mean long distances, instinctually,... like geese. I mean, unless they go far away I wouldn't call it a migration.

Any other info?