coyotes/wolves

TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

coyotes/wolves

Post by TLunge »

is anyone going to try hunting or trapping any yotes or wolves this year? I know the population is very high around the outskirts of Ottawa, I hear them howling almost every night and am seeing lots of tracks in my area.
I'm not a biologist but the recent decline in the high numbers of deer may make for some really good predator hunting this winter
Billy Dee
Participant
Participant

Post by Billy Dee »

I'm very new to hunting and have a lot to learn. Forgive me if this is a stupid question but do hunters eat any wolves/coyotes that they take? If so, what is the meat like?
bardern
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bardern »

I plan on doing a lot of hunting for coyotes this winter. you are correct that there are a lot of otes around Eastern Ontario and according to all reports the numbers are trending up. There are still a number of hound men but there are more and more of us using calls to lure them into shotgun or rifle range. Ottawa and Greely's problems are that coyotes are incredibly intelligent and adapt quickly to an urban enviroment. Of course you can not hunt within city limits which leaves trapping which is not as effective as hunting plus there are issues surrounding the non-hunting and trapping elements. the coyote number do seem to trend with the deer herd and with the decline in the deer population there will in all likelyhood be more sightings in the city due to availibilty of food that being primarily garbage and pets.

the payoff is the hunt itself and the value in the pelts. the prices for pelts have been low for a number of years but have been going up somewhat.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

I have never heard of anybody ever eating one myself
Billy Dee
Participant
Participant

Post by Billy Dee »

That's what I thought. I imagine it would be like eating a pet dog. Not my cup of tea but in some cultures...

Good luck out there,
Billy.
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Well good luck boys, lots of wolf sightings in the Ottawa area in the last few years also you never know. Looks like coyote pelts will be low again in price this year but a wolf would be a nice bonus
HereMyGo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HereMyGo »

Let the dog out on Friday night before bed. I always watch her and she started growling and the hair on her back was on end. Opened the door and could hear something in the direction she was looking. Called her in.

Next day I noticed tracks in the snow, went over and must have been wolf tracks as the paw print was quite large, led straight into the bush. Could of been a coyote, but like I said the print in the tracks was much to big I think.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

I've been out 4x this month for yotes - saw 3, got 1. (other 2 were too far away and didn't trust my calls or something)

Has been quite cold for the still hunt - but it sure is amazing how fast they show up when they do...
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

LOL!

Nobody eats coyote. More or less target practice.
They make nice skin mounts though.