just glad to be here

hawg hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

just glad to be here

Post by hawg hunter »

hey all im new to the hunting forum and sad to say this is my first post

i was goose hunting on Quinte the other day -3 windchill - 12 (wind was 20-25k with gust to 37km)and i was making my way up to a point with good high cattails,id been there before and i knew that the walking was good out in front of it and a little to the south but quick sand to the north ( i call it loon crap you know stick a oar in and it keeps going)

i rowed up till the boat hit bottom,stood up put my oar in the water to check and it was about 10" deep.so i set my oar on the other side and proceeded to step out(not thinking that the wind had pushed me back some sense i checked the depth)as i stepped out i expected to be on bottom with in 10" but i just kept going kinda a face plant right in the very soft mud,i still had ahold of the boat with my left hand,which im sure saved my life,cause the mud was deeper than i was tall(and im 6-3)besides the wind would have took the boat over to the other side.

well i could not walk not touching bottom and all,could not swim being in mud to my chest,and with out a foot hold could not get back into the boat.
i wear neoprene chest waders and if it was not for them fitting snug around my big butt i would not be here to-day,my 2 buds went the other way but said he would come and check on me around 1pm,when this happened it was 5.45 am.
well try and try again i could not pull myself into the boat, its now 8.22 am almost 2 1/2 hrs in the cold water,and im tired right out,i just thought ok 1 more time i pulled the boat so hard it dam near tipped over on me giving me just enough to get me chest over the side and grab the seat to pull me up,along with the high winds all this helped me get back in.

i went right to the boat launch got in the truck and sat there for 45mins getting warm and so i could stop the jitters lol

ill tell ya folks those waders saved my life for sure no water got inside,well a little did.seen a lady on shore walking her dog and i think i scared the living s--t out of her you know mud all over me even my face lol.lol

taker easy out there it happens so easy

Hawg Hunter

P.S-Sorry for the long post but needed to tell my story......
TMH
Participant
Participant

Post by TMH »

Scary for sure. This is why someone knows where I'm hunting every time I go out.. I dealt with something similar the week before the duck opener.. Went to get my blind ready and made the same mistake.. Though it was only a foot deep and sank right to my chest.. now the weather was nice and had on shorts but had I been wearing waders that would have been the end of me..
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Get to know your waters, if possible, especially if you are alone.

Glad to hear you made it. Guess you must of kept your cool and did not panick, even if the situation was sticky.

:shock:
hawg hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hawg hunter »

your both right indeed get to know your water,funny thing is ive been hunting in there for 20 years,the mistake i made was not checking the depth again after the wind had pushed me back.

boy that won't happen again.......i hope lol,lol,lol,

Hawg Hunter

P.S... Keeping your cool is key...
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

That is one scary story! Glad everything worked out.