this last month- of hunting

ralphie
Participant
Participant

this last month- of hunting

Post by ralphie »

Glad to see this hunting section ,as I am sure a lot of us that fish also hunt.

We had a reasonable goose season, I hunt the St.Lawrence with a bunch of guys, we seem to concentrate on the lunch more than the geese these days.as we have an exceptional cook who can prepare shore lunch like no other, soon we may need a trailer boat just for cooking gear and food. There is something special about calling in a big flock to your decoy spread over water- the sight and sound sure is a thrill. This month- a nasty cold south wind-iced up decoys, howling winds and large waves- great goose action- those who love waterfowling will understand why we stayed out in this weather.. Plus the cook- made a tarp shelter and prepared his usual feast- smoked duck breast, vension roasts, taters and beens, even eggs and goose and bacon for brekky

Deer season- like most the hot weather kept the deer out of the corn fields- my normal set up. Both my 17 year old son (he has harvested- 1 a year since he turned 12 as an apprentice hunter)and I did connect during muzzle loader season- him a big doe and after missing the big fellow- I was able to reload and drop the 5 pointer that was hanging around- the big guy and the doe- I love stupid deer. I would love to have had a video of me getting up and turning around on this tacked together swinging/swaying stand- it was reasonable as long as I could hang on to the tree- but to re-load, it takes 2 hands- add in a bit of vertigo- the big guy I missed - still hanging around- well good vension from the 5 pointer and another good story. Now if we can keep a little snow- I do love a good sunny day and a few of us chasing rabbitts- another excuse to get together and let the cook- do his thing
I hope we can keep this forum alive-
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Welcome to Fish Hawk Ralphie
Sounds like you guys know how to do it right with the gourmet shore lunches, thats hunting in style
bardern
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bardern »

did you hunt out of Morrisburg Ralphie, I am from Iroquois. It is getting harder and harder to find a decent spot on the water, with all the houses and limited access. I have done nothing but field hunting for a long time, but you are right goose hunting over water is really special.

good gravy you Guys eat well!