Hunting with MagnumHunts Outfitters

LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Hunting with MagnumHunts Outfitters

Post by LeGrand »

Last year was the very first time I ever used the services of an outfitter for any kind of wild game or fishing services. I had a blast. I had only went one day.

I just confirmed my reservations with the same outfitter. I'm returning with this guy from Sherbrooke, QC (my hometown). He's the big guy on the far right of the picture. I'm the second guy from the right side of the picture.

This Fall I'm hunting two days, September 30th, and also October 1st.

hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Le Grande nice spread of large Canadas Do you know in Quebec is there any additional tags other than duck stamp needed for Ontarians?
H&S
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

hook&shoot, my hunt with the guy from Sherbrooke, QC took place in Finch, ON. MagnumHunts only provide service in Eastern Ontario.

As for extra tags to hunt in QC, you just need to buy your non-resident small game license. Your waterfowl permit and stamp is Federal jusrisdiction and good anywhere in Canada. I buy my small game resident (of QC) license and my non-resident (of Ontario) license, but whatever Post Office i'm in I buy my waterfowl permit & stamp, as long as I have my small game license of the Province the Post Office is located at.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Finch is right in the main Canada Goose flyway. I have hunted north of there around Crysler, and east around Maxville, and lots of spots in and around that area. It is incredible to see flocks of a thousand birds and more going overhead - and sometimes dropping in to the dekes! :D

If you need any goose recipes, please give me a shout - I have created about a dozen of them and some are real crowd pleasers. 8)

Doug
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Thanks for the info guys. I was going to do a guided snow goose hunt in QC this spring and was wondering the rules on that. If either of you are keen on this PM and I will get you the link. I heard the guided hunts are way more succesful than the province run ones. Apparently the snow geese are quite wise to repeated same location set ups.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

One fellow who hunted with us in October was going to Quebec for a guided snow goose hunt shortly thereafter. He was a friend of a friend and I do not even recall his name - but a very knowledgeable fellow, and has done quite a bit of out-of-province hunting. If I can get contact info for him I will ask him if he has any advice about that hunt.

Doug
bardern
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bardern »

Thanks for the very thoughtful endorsement for Magnum Outfitters Michel! :D We loved having you down for the morning and John, Roland and I are sure glad to hear you enjoyed the hunt!

I just ordered a new rig of Avery Pro model full bodies so maybe you can help me break em in!

Barry
Last edited by bardern on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Would love to give a hand Barry.

In the meantime, I just received my DEEKS mallard self inflating decoys.

Incredible how they take no space at all and how they float (tried one of the Hen's in the kitchen sink).

Perfect to carry into the faraway honeuhole.

:lol:
Last edited by LeGrand on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bardern
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bardern »

I saw those Deeks Decoys in the Cabelas catalogue, they seem like the cats a** for packing into beavers swamps et la. Great idea.
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Yeah they are pictured in the Cabela's catalog, but Cabela's web site mentionned they were all out, so I got mine from the Canadian Distributor in Moose Factory, ON from G.G.'s

I'm in contact with the manufacturer in the US to get some Field Caps for them.

Here is their web site

http://www.deeksdecoys.com/
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Of course I was debating on the following ones also.

http://www.nrafud.com/nra.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46hYqJJeVSo