Moose Draw Info Night

hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Moose Draw Info Night

Post by hook&shoot »

As some of you that hunt moose in Ontario know, The MNR has had a Moose Review in the works for the last couple of years. The link below details the time and place locally that you the hunter can input your feelings on how the moose draw affects you. The conclusions of these public meetings which wrap up this spring, have an impact on how future draws will be handled by the MNR. Whether your voice is going to make a difference remains to be seen. I plan on attending.
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/FW ... 64023.html
H&S
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

It will be interesting, the end result of this review. So many hunters are frustrated with the way moose are managed and tags allocated in this province.
Buckshot
Participant
Participant

Post by Buckshot »

It will be interesting I am happy with the management techniques and the survey's that are conducted, i think it would be nice to see the survey's conducting more frequently but i understand with budgets and all.

The tag allocation will be very interesting as i feel the system we have is good, but people play games with the system and i dont think there will ever be a system that completly stops that.

I have played by the rules in the system, ie: we use a guaranteed group size we dont have a bunch of us applying as individuals, 1 moose is enough. And we dont have our wife applying in the draw with no intention of hunting just transfering the tag away. That is something i would like to see gone is the tag transfer.

THe other thing that will be interseting is to see what they do with the calf allocation will we be faced with a calf validation across the whole province?

Anyone have any thoughts.
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Buckshot, I understand that sometimes the groups get sand baged in order to obtain adult tags, but in this day and age of comittments to family and work etc. it is hard to get a group to go every season. Most groups are at least 6- 10 in size. Every year it is a fight to get hunters tied down, and frankly I am not interested in travelling 6-10 hours to hunt calves on an individual tag. I feel the ministry has to come up with another avenue for tag allotment or zone transfering of tags . Something has to change if the MNR wants to collect $45+ dollars from moose hunters
H&S
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

My moose hunting group has issue getting adult tags some years. We even have 2 members who are northern residents too!