First Wolf Sighting

Robert Goulet
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

First Wolf Sighting

Post by Robert Goulet »

I was driving home today from Toronto and heading northbound on the 416 I saw a huge dark coloured wolf cross the highway right in front of me a few klicks south of the Kemptville exit. I spend approximately 40,000 km's on the road every year and I see tons of wildlife in my travels, mostly deer and turkeys but this was the first wolf I have ever seen while drinving. I figured it was chasing after a deer or some other quick meal.

Anyone else seeing many wolves around? Hopefully not as they tend to wreak havoc on the deer population if their numbers get out of hand.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

I think i've just about seen every animal ,,except for a wolf :x :x
lundman
Participant
Participant

Post by lundman »

I've seen a cougar one time about 3 years ago, coming along the 401 east of port hope in the morning. to me it was a once in a life time sighting.
very rare.
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Your lucky to have seen that, generally they are pretty spooky. I have logged a lot of hours in the bush and Ive yet to see one either. Lots of yotes, but never a wolf. As for the cougar sighting that is even more fortunate!! Some still are reluctant to admit that the cougar is actually here in Ontario but I do know of a farmer in Pembroke who shot one that was feeding on his live stock....he has it stuffed!

orrsey
skubasteve
Participant
Participant

Post by skubasteve »

I've seen 4 wolves this year and a bunch of coyotes, and the deer sleep in my backyard under the trees. No matter how much wildlife I see I still love it...it never grows old
Dive lots, Leave only bubbles
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

The area you mentioned has had several wolf sightings lately, there was a roadkill near osgoode a couple of years ago of a wolf I saw that was in the 80lb+ range, defineatly not a coyote
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

I used to own a hunt camp between Merrickville and North Augusta, not that far west of Kemptville. One of my neighbours back there hunts wolves and coyotes with hounds (telemetry collars) all through that region. Mostly they shoot coyotes but they do certainly also get wolves.

Last April the coyotes and wolves decimated the deer population in that area because the snow was deep, the deer were trapped, and the predators could travel on top of the snow. The woods were full of deer carcasses after the snow melted. Three within fifty yards of my hunt camp door......... :(

Too bad you couldn't get going fast enough to run the wolf over...... :wink:

Doug
HereMyGo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HereMyGo »

I live between North Gower and Kemptville out in the boonies, and about a month ago I let the dog out at night. I always watch her because she's on the smaller side of medium and back onto a bush where I know there is wildlife.

Anyways, this particular night she started to growl and I could see the fur on her back go straight on end. I couldn't see what she was looking at because it was to the side of the house, but anyways wasn't going to find out. So i opened the door, went outside and got her in.

The next day I went over into the middle of the yard where she was looking and sure enough there were great big pads headed in a straight line right into the bush. In a running fashion as well as they were spread out so my going outside must have spooked it. I'm pretty sure it was indeed wolf because of the enormous pad size, looked too big to be a yote.