Where to buy specialty turkey shot in Ottawa

wheresdad
Participant
Participant

Where to buy specialty turkey shot in Ottawa

Post by wheresdad »

So I'd like to pattern my shotgun for turkey for my first season but I'm not about to go out and buy large variety of shells, I'd like to narrow it down to one, maybe two for expense/time reasons.

I've read interesting things about the Federal Mag-Shok shells with Flitecontrol and how this helps keep the shot pattern tighter and it makes sense to me.

http://www.federalpremium.com/hunters_e ... ntrol.aspx

The other shot I might try is the Hevishot 13.

http://www.hevishot.com/products_turkey.html

Does anyone know where to buy these in/around Ottawa? Lebaron doesn't carry either and Canadian Tire does not seem to carry this "specialty" Federal shot as best as I can tell. I'd rather not mail order.

I'd also be open to suggestions that I am wasting my money on "high-end" ammo.

Cheers,
Ray
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Where to buy specialty turkey shot in Ottawa

Post by bradford2 »

wheresdad wrote:
I'd also be open to suggestions that I am wasting my money on "high-end" ammo.
I'm skeptical. I've shot several turkeys now with plain old Winchester Supreme shells and they did the job just fine.

I've never shot the 'fancy' stuff, but this year I am going to buy a box of the Supreme Hi-Density just to see. If it patterns ok, I'll try it in the field. Likely I won't notice a difference.... but ya never know.
Mr Champ
Participant
Participant

Post by Mr Champ »

Try Al's Corner Store if you are up the prior way
or Stittsville Shooting Range
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

After testing Remington, Winchester & Federal I found my turkey gun liked 3" Federal Premium 1 3/4oz of five's the best.

As an idea maybe you could bum/buy 1 or 2 rounds from various manufactures turkey loads from a few turkey hunters you know and do a bit of somewhat cost effective load patterning.

Good luck,

DropShot'r
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Unfortunately every gun and choke set up are different. You should buy an aftermarket choke I find them to be better than the stock ones in my opinion. A good quality load such as Win Supreme or Fed hevi shot is a good idea although I have heard the hevishot has ejection issues on semi autos if you have one. Make sure you have the gun tucked in on your shoulder well too the turkey loads hurt if not. For your average shotgun if you can get 15 pellets in the kill zone at 30yards, be happy with that
H&S
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

I bought some Federal magnum turkey load at Sports action plus on St Laurent blvd. Call before going to check that they have some in stock. Have not shot this load yet.
Life goes on
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Hit the Perth Gun Show on 18-19 April, and you will likely see fellows selling turkey ammo for good prices, and no tax.

As has been mentioned, each gun and choke combo is different. My 11-87 likes the Remington Duplex loads (mixed #4s and #6s).

I suggest you do as recommended and try to bum a few rounds off some buddies, or even better, get four or five guys together and each buy a different box to try, then swap.

Doug
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

That is a great idea Doug as someones gun may like what you got and visa versa
H&S
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Thanks hook&shoot!

We have done this here with a few buddies, and in fact I would never have probably tried duplex loads, but somebody had bought them and I tried them - they outshot my Winchester Supreme ammo by a noticeable margin! :shock:

And if five guys buy one box each and every guy shoots one shot (assuming boxes of ten), then there is a chance that the guys whose guns work best with "brand X" still have five more shots to pattern the gun and hunt with. :D

Doug