first turkey hunt...so close!!

Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

first turkey hunt...so close!!

Post by Yannick Loranger »

My fiancee Danielle and I went out this morning on our first turkey hunt. We scouted all of 3 hours during the week but were still able to find a few scratches on what seemed like a promising spot (big trees, nice hill, field, sumac) so we got up at 4:30 at were set up by 5:30. Since we're novices, we only bought one licence for now, and since this was Danielle's idea, she was to be the shooter if by some miracle a bird were to show. I did my best to make my mouth call not sound like a goose.

No action untill about 7:30 when we hear a gobble at the bottom of the hill. Soon we spot a nice Tom about 80 yards away. He looks interested but not willing to come up the hill. He keeps walking along the fence line and soon enough he's out of sight. No more noise from him. Knowing there's another fenceline going down the hill towards the field about 300 yards down the trail, I suggest we go set up there and try to intercept him. Well! Good plan! As we start to follow the fence line down the hill, I give a few yelps...GOBBLE GOBBLE answers! I keep calling and we make our way down the hill. The next gobble we hear is close! So we both set up at the nearest suitable tree. Danielle is set up about 15 yards up the hill from my position. The gobbling is coming from the cedars in line with her position. PERFECT!

GOBBLE! I yelp. GOBBLE! GOBBLE! I yelp some more. Nothing...wait a minute, yelp some more...AND THE BIRD LOSES HIS MIND. This thing gobbled almost non-stop for 5 minutes as he made his way to us. If he stopped for a second, I'd yelp and he'd start again. WHAT A RUSH!! But, to our chagrin, this was an wily old Tom, much too wise for 2 first-time hunters. Instead of b-lining to our position, this bird walked down the hill, to the field, walked along the edge of the field, all while gobbling, and came into view about 30 yards in front of me, so 45 yards from Danielle. He was strutting and drumming and all puffed up, what a beauty. Looked like he had about a 6-8" beard, which I think is my most standards a pretty respectable bird. At the peak of the action, this bird was about 15 yards away from me, 30 yards from Danielle but never offered a clean shot to her...(mostly because I was directly between her and bird).

Finally, the strutting slowed, he walked away gobbled a couple more times and was never heard of again. Needless to say, we'll be back after him next weekend! What a great first turkey hunt for 2 northern Ontario kids.

Tight lines and hot barrells,
Yannick
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Keep trying....

It can and does get REAL frustrating at times. I got VERY lucky the other day and bagged a 22.5lb Tom.

It'll happen. My best piece of advice that seems to work this year is

1) Use 1 decoy.(Jenny)
2) PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE.....

I was just about to get up when that gobbler busted through the woods to come at my decoy....

Love it!!!

Hope to see a pic of you guys hoisting a long beard soon!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

In nature it is the female that comes to the gobbler. As hunters we try to do the opposite of nature.

I have had it happen on many occasions where a bird has gobbled like crazy at my calling but he never showed himself.

Frustrating? YES! exhilerating? For sure! Once birdie is down, its down. The hunt is over and you are still shaking from the adrenaline. Turkeys can show up so fast and with no warning! So having the shotgun/bow in a position so that you can aim with minimal movement is key.

Good luck to you next w/e.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Saturday morning when we were heading up to Lakle x ..........

I look over in one of the fields and see a Tom strutting his stuff with a hen nearby .........I look over to 24/7 and he says if you pull over to take a pic ..I'll smash the camera, now keep your eyes on the road.... :shock: :roll: :roll: