DOUG’S GOOSE BREAST JERKY

Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

As I said in another post, goose makes absolutely the BEST jerky! Basically no fat, and easy to work with, it is a great way to enjoy some of your goose harvest.

Doug

Trim all blood-shot and damaged tissue, feathers, fat, etc from breasts. Cutting with the grain, slice the breasts into thin strips of meat. If it is a thick breast, cut the strips in half width-wise to keep the pieces thin and long. In a covered rectangular Tupperware container or similar, lay a row of strips touching each other, and all running the same direction, until the bottom of the container is covered with strips of meat. Season with garlic powder, seasoning salt, and any other spice that you like, both onion powder and lemon pepper are quite good, for example. Sprinkle soya sauce over the entire layer of meat, soaking all the pieces fairly well. Lay a second layer of strips at ninety degrees to the first layer, then season and sprinkle with soya sauce. Continue until all the meat has been laid out in layers in the container, each layer at ninety degrees to the one below it, and sprinkle the top of it VERY liberally with soya sauce. Cover and place in the fridge. IF the top of the container is leak-proof, turn the container upside down after twelve hours, then right side up in another twelve hours. Leave it in the fridge for a MINIMUM of twelve hours, 24 is better, 36 is about right, 48 is OK too, but not too much longer than that.

Skewer individual pieces of meat with a toothpick, near one end or the other, and hang on the racks of your smoker, so that no two pieces are touching, and if you have more than one rack, ensure that the pieces do not touch top to bottom either. Smoke with hickory or mesquite or cherry wood, for about six hours or until the meat is well cooked but not yet dry. Allow to cool, remove toothpicks, and the jerky is ready to eat. It will keep for months in the freezer, weeks in the fridge, or minutes in your pocket.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

What if using a dehydrator???

Seems alot of Soya.....how about less salt with smoke sauce? Would you suggest a commercial brand of seasoning???

J
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

What if using a dehydrator???

Seems alot of Soya.....how about less salt with smoke sauce? Would you suggest a commercial brand of seasoning???

J
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Never used a dehydrator, so I can give no advice about that.

YES this is high sodium for sure, although one could theoretically use low sodium soya sauce. Jerky needs a lot of salt so that it cures properly.

Under no circumstance do I ever personally use "liquid smoke." No offence...... :wink:

If your dehydrator has a beef jerky recipe, you could substitute goose breasts for the beef. You can almost always use goose breast meat where you would normally use beef, in just about any recipe. The texture and flavour will be different of course, and goose prime rib is not feasible, but goose basically cooks like beef. :idea:

Doug
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thanks Doug,

We plan on investing in a smoker soon.

For now I have a 7 tray dehydrator. I have cooked goose many times, but I don't like the way the roast tastes the next day after being in the fridge....

J
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

I don't like the way roast goose tastes, any time! :lol: That is why I created all of these recipes! :wink:

Doug
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Jamsers wrote:Thanks Doug,

but I don't like the way the roast tastes the next day after being in the fridge....

J
Take any of Doug's posted recipe's (liquid based ones), and substitute the raw goose, with the left over goose from the roast........or throw it into a stew and freeze for another time.