Better than Dougs Recipes Recipe ;)

franklauzon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Better than Dougs Recipes Recipe ;)

Post by franklauzon »

It's all love Doug :twisted:

The beauty is in the simplicity of this recipe.

Take you breast, clean all the skin from its surface, so you can see the grain of the breast all around. Brush liberally with Olive oil on both sides, and sprinkle with Montreal Steak spice on both sides.

Place on BBQ pre-heated to med-high heat for 5 mins with lid down, flip, 5 more mins lid down, and you're done. You want the bread Medium rare at most. Cooking time varies per BBQ but that's the basic idea, eat as you would steak, and be surprised at how good it is.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Thanks Frank! :lol:

Yes I have done whole breasts a couple of ways including BBQ, but have found that the whole breast is just too chewy. It is also difficult to get the breast cooked properly - if it is done on the outside, the centre is still just about raw. :shock:

Of course, we shoot very large geese. Maybe if you are shooting teeny weeny baby geese, they have smaller breasts and would BBQ better. :wink:

Backatcha! :lol:

Doug
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Doug wrote:Thanks Frank! :lol:

It is also difficult to get the breast cooked properly - if it is done on the outside, the centre is still just about raw. :shock:

Doug
Doug....... Simple solution. Meat thermometer.

I now use my thermometer on ANY and ALL meat I cook. Look up the proper temps for the type of meat you are cooking and the "doneness" you are looking for.
One important note. Cook to a few degrees below the desired temp and then take meat off the cooking device and let it rest for 5 minutes (usually tent with foil to retain heat).....

Use a thermometer once or twice and you won't cook without it again. And you'll never have chewy/dry meat again........

Swiss Chalet has nothing on my chicken!!!!!!

Oh ya.. one more thing...... Get yourself a meat injector/brine pump, whatever you want to call it. Inject those breasts with a butter or oil based concoction of herbs and spice....... or more simply...inject some greek or italian salad dressing.(just have to strain out the large chunks so you don't clog the needle)......
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Yes for sure I use a meat thermometer, and tent most roasts/etc with foil, makes for a better roast for sure.

The trouble with BBQing a (thick) goose breast is that to get the inside to even medium rare, the outside is going to get burned. I suppose one could try basting, or a rotisserie..........it is a heck of a lot easier to BBQ a thick beef steak, since the fat in the meat keeps it from getting too done on the outside. Not so with the goose breasts.

Another alternative might be to slice the breasts in half to reduce the thickness..............or to shoot smaller geese! :lol:

Doug
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Give the injector a try on some thick breasts and try em out again on the BBQ.

I made all my goose into pepperettes so I don't have any to try. I have not tried injecting goose breasts yet, but it works unbelievably well with anything else. You can even over cook a chicken breast or pork chop that has been injected and it won't dry out.
franklauzon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

HAH!

Post by franklauzon »

Sorry Doug, I didn't know you were a prude about the dun-ness of the middle of you meat. Slicing it thinner would work, but I've done breast off a couple 14lbers this way and had no problems. If you've got birds bigger than these, I'd like to shoot them in the face...