Found Rack with skull

troutaddict
Participant
Participant

Found Rack with skull

Post by troutaddict »

Hello,

I found a skull with antlers while fishing last week and wanted to know my options in terms of getting rid of it.(my wife wants it out of the house bad!even though its clean.)
I don't know if it was legal or even if there is any interest out there for the type of thing, but my friend offered me $200 for it.(don't know if that was a good deal)-he was salivating over it...
I know nothing about this type of thing but my friend said it was a 8 point buck. (each side has four big points-whole length of each is round 28inches)
All i know is that its antlers are pretty huge and cool i wish my wife would not be so freaked out.

The moderator was nice enough to let me ask this question so any feedback would be helpful...

Thanks for your time...and sorry if i messed up any terminology

Troutaddict
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Officially you are only allowed to give it away.....
Un-officially you can sell it.

The law states that no animal harvested in the province can be re-sold if taxidermed etc.

You say you caught it fishing? How do you prove the animal was killed in Ontario then???

If your buddy will flip ya $200 for it I'd have taken it.
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

If it's your buddy and you have no use for it, why not give it to him??
troutaddict
Participant
Participant

Post by troutaddict »

I am not trying to milk my buddy-he offered me the $ before i wanted to get rid of it.(before the wife saw it) AND he is rich and i am poor so he always tries to find a way to give me money...which i will never accept

I just wanted alittle info......sorry for the trouble

Thanks for the help...I won't bother you guys again
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

I am 99% sure that the information posted by Jamsers is NOT correct. From memory, and I will see if I can find the relevant information, a trapper or a person NOT licenced to hunt in Ontario may sell one set of deer antlers per year. A person who is licenced to hunt in Ontario may sell any mumber of antlers that he/she wishes.

Doug
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Here is the relevant portion from the Ontario Hunting Regulations, about the UNLICENCED hunter:

A person without a licence may buy or sell a single hide of black bear, with head and claws attached, and a single hide of a deer or moose, without the head attached, and a single set of cast antlers of caribou, elk, deer and moose if they are lawfully acquired.

I could not find the bit about LICENCED hunters.

Anyways, troutaddict I am sure you can sell your find. If you are feeling antsy about it, call your local MNR office and ask to speak with a CO. Tell him/her what you intend to do, and refer to the regulations transcribed above, and see what the CO says.

Doug
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Doug,

I am only going but what a buddy of mine who was a Onatrio MNR CO told me. But I could be wrong.

I'd have just sold the darn thing or given it to him.

I know people selling stuff like that on the net have been investigated.
(for a fact!)
Buckshot
Participant
Participant

Post by Buckshot »

I think the key word is cast antlers those antlers are not cast just my two cents
paulslund
Participant
Participant

Post by paulslund »

Well, you could view it that deer just happened to cast it's head along with the antlers...

:shock: :lol:
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Welcome aboard, Paul! This is a good board and I reckon you will enjoy it. :D

Doug
paulslund
Participant
Participant

Post by paulslund »

Thanks Doug. Long time no see! Always looking forward to a new board to join. I already recognize other names on here. Not surprised to see you here, either.

8)
TMH
Participant
Participant

Post by TMH »

You cant sell something that has been taxidermied (sp?)..
CRP_4321
Participant
Participant

Post by CRP_4321 »

Sell the mount for $200 and give him the antlers. You can make a mount out of scrap wood and call it artistic.
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Well folks I took my own advice to troutaddict and contacted a senior enforcement officer with the MNR. He is a regional supervsior of COs.

In a nutshell, Buckshot hit the nail on the head, that only "CAST" antlers may be sold. As Jamsers had thought, and he was right (!) one cannot legally sell deer mounts (or fish mounts, etc) in Ontario. Here is the wording, provided by the MNR official:

Act:

Buying or selling wildlife and pelts

48. (1) A person shall not buy or sell game wildlife or specially protected wildlife, including pelts, except under the authority of a licence and in accordance with the regulations

O Reg 666:

PART VII
BUYING AND SELLING HIDES AND CAST ANTLERS

21. Despite subsection 48 (1) of the Act, a licence to sell game wildlife is not required if,

(a) a hunter sells the hide of a black bear, white-tailed deer or moose that he or she has lawfully killed or cast antlers;

(b) a trapper sells the hide of a black bear that he or she has lawfully killed or cast antlers; or

(c) a person sells not more than a single hide and a single set of cast antlers in a year, if they were lawfully acquired. O. Reg. 666/98, s. 21.

22. Despite subsection 48 (1) of the Act, a licence to buy game wildlife is not required if,

(a) a person buys a single hide or a single set of cast antlers in each year for his or her own use;

(b) a person accepts delivery of hides or cast antlers outside Ontario, if they were obtained from a person who sold them under a hides and cast antlers dealer’s licence; or

(c) a person trades or barters the hides for a token of little or no value as part of a program approved or sponsored by the Ministry to facilitate the provision of hides to artisans. O. Reg. 666/98, s. 22.

23. A person who holds a hides and cast antlers dealer’s licence may,

(a) buy hides and cast antlers from a person who lawfully sells them; or

(b) sell hides and cast antlers to a person who lawfully buys them. O. Reg. 666/98, s. 23.

24. (1) The holder of a hides and cast antlers dealer’s licence shall record the following information on each purchase of a hide or cast antlers:

1. The date of the purchase.

2. The name and address of the person from whom the hide or cast antlers are being bought.

3. If the hide is bought from a licensed hunter or trapper, the number of the licence under which the game mammal was killed.

4. If the hide is bought from a person who is not a licensed hunter or trapper, the kind of document and its number, if any, under which the game mammal was lawfully acquired.

5. If the hide or cast antlers are bought from another holder of a hides and cast antlers dealer’s licence, the number of that dealer’s licence.

6. The number of hides bought and the species of animal involved.

7. The number of cast antlers and the species of animal involved. O. Reg. 666/98, s. 24 (1).

(2) The holder of a hides and cast antlers dealer’s licence shall record the following information at the time of tanning or treating a hide, of selling or otherwise disposing of a hide and at the time of treating cast antlers or selling or otherwise disposing of cast antlers:

1. The date of the tanning, treating, selling or other disposal.

2. The name, address and licence number of the holder of a hides and cast antlers licence to whom the hides or cast antlers were sent for tanning or treating, or both, as the case may be, or were sold or disposed of.

3. The number of hides sent for tanning or treating, sold or otherwise disposed, and the species of animal involved.

4. The number of cast antlers sent for treating, sold or otherwise disposed of. O. Reg. 666/98, s. 24 (2).

So anyways, I was dead wrong (for all these years!) and one CANNOT sell these legally in Ontario.

Doug
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

This was what an MNR CO buddy of mine told me.
Also so that people know. They scout Kijiji and UsedOttawa and nail folk for selling these....

Hard thing is if the mount is for a species from outside of Ontario it is legal.