additional deer tags

orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

additional deer tags

Post by orrsey »

Anyone else loose out in the additional deer tag draw?? My god I spent half the day phoning in and listening to a busy signal. In the end I was to late and lost out on both WMU's I could apply for.

orrsey
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

Spent an hour on the phone.... got in..... credit card system was down and it hung up on me.......

Spent another 2+ hours after that and finally got a tag for 64A.... apparently only minutes before they sold out.

Lucky!
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I can recall, and not too long ago....

Going into the Ottawa City Hall building to the ServiceOntario center and buying additional tags.

Then they reduced the # and then reduced it again and then removed some WMU's.

Hunting Deer and Moose in Ontario is starting to become a REAL joke.
I don't think herd management is being done properly and I don't think the MNR has been doing a good job on this either.

I mean for years people could buy up to 6 additional deer seals for 64A! WTF! Good management there! then 2 years later its down to 120 tags, archery only and for bucks?

It was does and rifle/bow, then either doe or buck rifle/bow, then bow only and for doe to now bow only for buck....

I think it needs to be 1 tag for everybody until the deer populations in certain areas are sustainable again and I do not mean driving hours and hours and hours to get there either.

Don't get me wrong. If you got an additional seal that's awsome...but I never, ever bought 6 tags even when you could! Imagine 10 guys, 6 tags each....60 deer! Yahoo's were killing every deer in sight regardless of age, size etc.

My buddy, has 1100 acres. Since the 60's they have only ever shot bucks and SCRUTINIZED the heck out of the ones they did. Never ran hounds.

As a result, you can still to this day have a party of 8 guys, 1 deer and still manage 6-12 pointers for each guy.

There are hunters and then there are idiots who just want to kill as many as possible. I know guys who had constests to see who could shoot the smallest deer. One guy shot one that fit in a milk crate....I mean c'mon! Honestly!
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Got lucky in 64A after 33 minutes....

Pretty sad they're down to 120 Additional tags!
Bait&Fate
Participant
Participant

Additional Deer Tags

Post by Bait&Fate »

Zero additional tags availible for WMU 64B this year ....

:(
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

I tried for 67 and 64A...both sold out. I would have thought 64A would have more than 120 additional's considering the amount of deer, Isnt Ottawa and the surrounding area concerned with the deer population? I thought I read somewhere that the amount of deer being hit in the area by cars is a real concern?

orrsey
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

None for 63A or 62.....

LOTS of deer out that way also.

As for 64A...I've seen it dwindle in the last 3 years. Observed deer have been getting smaller and in less #'s where we hunted.

I think a few years of reduced tags, meaning less pressure will bring the numbers and weights back up.

It was a BLAST fest when 6 tags per hunter where handed out. I saw a WHACK of Spikers, Yearlings etc hung up in sheds all over Lanark...not good.
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

It seems that the deer management is being done from a Totronto office by a biologist who has not been in the field since his/her grad placement....lots of pee peed hunters in the valley. How many archery only tags will get abused by rifle hunters?
H&S
FisherLife420
Participant
Participant

Post by FisherLife420 »

I can't drive the limit in my area fear of hitting one... I see them everday and at all hours. Its dangerous!
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

From what I gather there was some kind of a large winter die-off 2 winters ago that was not really the fault of the MNR handing out lots of tags, there was an unusual amount of dead deer found early that spring, some in groups etc. I think MNR is trying to do the right thing ie. if the numbers are out of control hand out alot of tags, if the numbers crash cut way back on the amount of tags. What else would you have them do?
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Tlunge
WELL worded - I agree - the ministry is trying to regulate the population.

It is not an exact science, and sometimes mistakes have been made - but in general, I believe that the resource is being managed responsibly.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

My point was simply WMU 62 goes from near Ompah to Kingston. What is the basis for not offering additional tags?

Near Ompah there are TONS of deer, but around Kingston (South Frontenac) not as many....

Before I get my head ripped off I am basing this on my observations of hunting both South and North. In North on 800+ acres and in South 300+.
I have seen more sign and movement in the North.

My buddy who has 1100 acres in Lanark 63A has way too many deer.
The family has been there for 50 years+...so I think he knows what he is talking about.

What about the increase in coyotes? We as hunters should make it a point to help the deer by thinning them out.

I agree, having up to 6 additional seals in some WMU's was a BAD idea.
But I think that some WMU's can easily have had more tags and supported a strict 1 additional seal per hunter.....

Maybe if more folk reported in on the surveys they send they'd have a better idea. Perhaps they think that all hunters who get an additionla seal fill them. I can guarantee with 100% certainty that some people with two tags won't fill either.
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

James
I agree, people need to send in their surveys. If hunters do send in the survey, but have unfilled tags, that could be interpreted two ways
(1) There are fewer deer, explaining why tags not filled
(2) There are more deer because fewer were harvested
Hmmm...

Definitely more deer this year than last year around my stands... hopefully the tag count next year reflects that.

Good luck to all this fall - hoping to get mine in Oct w/ the bow this year, then in Nov I'll group hunt instead of solitary...