Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I'll check em out Crystal! Thanks!
bait girl
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

bear barrels

Post by bait girl »

I have had great success using old pool filters. Just remove the collar , take the top off, remove the inside manifold and you have an indestructible barrel. I drill a bunch of have 1/2 inch holes for scent dispersion and wire it to a tree . It is easier to carry in than a full size barrel. Stuff the opening with large sticks or logs to prevent racoons from raiding all the bait. Donuts ,grease , old bread , table scraps all work very well. Try baiting early in the day atleast twice a week once it starts getting hit.Have a riot . Are you hunting with a bow or gun? Happy hunting , Fishindan
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

I will be using the new vortex I just ordered today from you
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

Any old 45 gallon drum will work just fine, and just about anything will work for bait. I agree that molasses, or any other SWEET liquid, is good. Corn syrup, sugared water, crystallized maple syrup, anything. I just use corn syrup, very sparingly, drizzled down the inside of the barrel and on a couple trees nearby. It does not take much.

Put a bunch of heavy logs on top of the barrel, and good-sized stones on top of the logs. That keeps out coons and skunks, and if you happen to be lucky enough to be at the bait barrel when a bear comes in, you have a better chance of a good shot while the bear is removing the obstacles to the goodies.

Good luck!

Doug
Legend Killer
Participant
Participant

Post by Legend Killer »

I know Tim Horton's throws out all of the day olds and there are usually a ton of them...If you dont mind rootin' through the dumpster that would probably be the easiest/cheapest way to get bait...also heard of everything else people have talked about....if you bring home fish, the carcass would work really well too...maybe dump a couple 2L soft drinks around the trees etc..
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: bear barrels

Post by Jimmy_1 »

bait girl wrote:I have had great success using old pool filters. Just remove the collar , take the top off, remove the inside manifold and you have an indestructible barrel. I drill a bunch of have 1/2 inch holes for scent dispersion and wire it to a tree . It is easier to carry in than a full size barrel. Stuff the opening with large sticks or logs to prevent racoons from raiding all the bait. Donuts ,grease , old bread , table scraps all work very well. Try baiting early in the day atleast twice a week once it starts getting hit.Have a riot . Are you hunting with a bow or gun? Happy hunting , Fishindan
As this'll be my 1st time trying Dan I think I'll be using a gun. I know there are a TON of bears around!
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

Never thought of bear hunting until this week. Went to check my deer feeder and it had been pushed over and emptied. Glad me feeder is OK but 100lbs of corn is gone in 2 days. Bear s#it and tracks all over around my feeder.Apparently they like corn.

orrsey
Doug
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Doug »

"apparently they like corn."

NOPE, not at all. Bears LOVE corn! :lol:

Doug

PS) Bears are VERY tasty! :wink:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

My new place has a WHACK of blackberry and raspbery bushes in the back.....

I'll be able to bait that one daily!
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Our guide chained the barrels to the tree.

Go to several butcher shops and offer to buy meat scraps and bones, esp beef rib bones. A nice fresh beef rib bone was the last supper for my bear.

doughnuts, powdered freshie, molasses, artifical vanilla, meat scraps.

Remember this, when your sitting in a tree with a bow in hand and a bear comes to the bait, your not the top of the foodchain anymore.

Good luck,
DropShot'r
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

DropShot'r wrote:Remember this, when your sitting in a tree with a bow in hand and a bear comes to the bait, your not the top of the foodchain anymore.
LOL! Too true!

On a side note I went out to the guys place who I bought the house off today. He has a 13.5hp lawn tractor for sale and I'll need one living out there! He showed me where his stands were....the neighbors hunt and there are about 30 racks hanging off their garage.....I am very happy to see/hear this....I am in 64A.....Party hunting anyone? :D
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

DropShot'r wrote:Remember this, when your sitting in a tree with a bow in hand and a bear comes to the bait, your not the top of the foodchain anymore.
LOL! Too true!

On a side note I went out to the guys place who I bought the house off today. He has a 13.5hp lawn tractor for sale and I'll need one living out there! He showed me where his stands were....the neighbors hunt and there are about 30 racks hanging off their garage.....I am very happy to see/hear this....I am in 64A.....Party hunting anyone? :D
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

LOL! Too true!

hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

You have had too much coffee today Jamsers ! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
H&S