First goose hunt of 09.

fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

First goose hunt of 09.

Post by fatluke »

After a few solid conversations with Captain Morgan last night, he assured me I would not sleep in for the first hunt. As he assured me, I was up at the crack of 4:15 and we were on our way. Decoys out and set with 20 minute till shooting time. After a mug of coffee we were legal to shoot. The field was cut wheat with 4 to 5 inches of re-growth.

It didn't take long and the first flock appeared. We let them circle once, as they looked very interested, unfortunately the second pass was not as close as the first. Only one bird to show.

A few more small flocks and a few sets of doubles appeared. As the morning heated up, the birds we through with their morning feed and probably staying cool in the water.

Ended the the first hunt with only 7 birds between 5 of us. Not a banner day, but better than coming home empty handed.

Back at it tomorrow to check out a different field. Feels good to be popping 3 and a halfs out of the Benelli again.
TMH
Participant
Participant

Post by TMH »

Very nice hunt.. So looking forward to the migrators to show up and for cloudy rainy days..
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

TMH wrote:Very nice hunt.. So looking forward to the migrators to show up and for cloudy rainy days..
I second that. Not many (relative) birds flying in the area I am hunting.........yet..
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Right on man!....you've chompin' at the bit to get out. Save a few pepperettes for me eh!!

Laker fishing was awesome this weekend bud...they were crushing the jigs. Hope to get them to you soon for the smoker :idea:
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Do Geese and Garlic mix ........ :wink:
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Ladies and gentlemen.........start your grinders......... :D :D :D... Added more birds yesterday (forgot camera) to the cause. Enough for my first batch of pepperettes.

Grant get the "laquer's" to me asap as I'll be spending any and all free time gooses hunting, and processing goose meat.

Bird-Addict.....I hope the dead bird photo's aren't too traumatizing. But get used to it. The slaughter has yet to begin!!.. As for the garlic and goose.. Anything is good with garlic.... :shock: :shock:

Any pork farmers on board? I'm gonna need a small heard worth of shoulders this fall.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

fatluke wrote:
Bird-Addict.....I hope the dead bird photo's aren't too traumatizing. But get used to it. The slaughter has yet to begin!!.. l.

Go ahead Blast away.... :wink:

Think I never blew the head off a partridge before... :) :)
Last edited by Bass Addict on Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinman454
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

good day!!

Post by tinman454 »

Nice to see I would take that day over any day at work :lol: :lol:
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Blast away... :lol: :lol:

8)
fatluke
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by fatluke »

Bass Addict wrote:Blast away... :lol: :lol:

8)
Damn, we only had one flock that size on the weekend.

Gotta put in another 7 hours at the office and we'll be blasting (hopefully) tonight. We still only have two fields to hunt, and not too many birds flying around where we are. We'll see what happens.