Duck Opener this Weekend in QC

LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Duck Opener this Weekend in QC

Post by LeGrand »

Going this Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Hope to catch my first ever ducks. Past years, the little fellas were faster than I.

8)
tinman454
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

go shoot now !!!

Post by tinman454 »

get a box of shells and try shooting before the seson starts well worth it you shoot more ducks :lol: :lol:
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

I bought a case of shells for trap and already went at two full day shooting. Once south of Valleyfield, the second north of Lennoxville in the Eastern Tomship.

I beleive I have corrected a few mistakes. But clay pigeon are not fast flying ducks on the opener.
Carl
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Carl »

Best of luck this weekend!

I wish I could get out for some waterfowling.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Keep your gun pointing up....

Some of those ducks are like F-16's!!!
You can shoot at a pack of them and still miss!
slabjerker
Participant
Participant

Post by slabjerker »

Jimmy, nobody shoots INTO a flock, if that is what you are referring to. :(

Poor ethics. Too many losers out there on opening weekend and the next just go to fire as many rounds as possible and make a mess of it. Pretty sad to watch people unloading at 75 yard birds. Not saying that you do this, just hoping that isn't what you meant, so please don't take it the wrong way.

Pick a single bird, preferably a drake, and make sure it's within 35 yard limit over your decoys. Better to lead a bird too much than to shoot back on it and cripple or wound. Head shots will kill a duck and leave the yummy meat nice and unshot up.

:)

Have a fun safe season, I can't wait till our opener here.
bruce
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bruce »

sounded like a war zone this a.m in rockland,hope someone mistook cormorants for ducks.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

bruce wrote:sounded like a war zone this a.m in rockland,hope someone mistook cormorants for ducks.
I was hoping the same thing Bruce... :lol:
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Are you guys refering to theses Beautiful Birds... :wink: 8) :lol: :lol:

LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

bruce wrote:sounded like a war zone this a.m in rockland,hope someone mistook cormorants for ducks.
That happened to me last year. After trying to shoot the fast moving ducks and the slow moving geese out of range, I saw this nice bird coming right towards me at the right speed. My first impression was great a big overweight duck that can't fly fast. BANG. There it comes down 20' from me.

As happy as a kid at Christmas morning to unwrap its present, I squrry to the bird to find out that was the ugliest duck I had ever seen. When I noticed it was a cormorant, I tossed it in the ditch.

It's afterwards that I found out that they were not only protected in Ontario, but also on the QC side of the river.

:roll:
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Anyway, I did managed to catch for myself, 2 mallards (puddlers) on Saturday, and 4 divers on Sunday which was quite a foogy morning.
TMH
Participant
Participant

Post by TMH »

LeGrand wrote:
That happened to me last year. After trying to shoot the fast moving ducks and the slow moving geese out of range, I saw this nice bird coming right towards me at the right speed. My first impression was great a big overweight duck that can't fly fast. BANG. There it comes down 20' from me.

As happy as a kid at Christmas morning to unwrap its present, I squrry to the bird to find out that was the ugliest duck I had ever seen. When I noticed it was a cormorant, I tossed it in the ditch.

It's afterwards that I found out that they were not only protected in Ontario, but also on the QC side of the river.

:roll:
And you're bragging about this on a forum?? Might want to edit your post and learn to indentify your prey before you pull the trigger next time.. :roll: :roll: :roll:
bruce
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by bruce »

yes learn to identify cormorants... and keep shootin em!
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

bruce wrote:yes learn to identify cormorants... and keep shootin em!
Not to worry, I know what the ugly things look like now. It's like people shooting crows. I don't since I don't eat them.

8)