Tree Stand

ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Tree Stand

Post by ASK »

Hi all,

I'm planning to puy a tree stand for Bow deer hunting.
And it's a first time to me.
While I was serving the internet , I found many kinds of thim.
And many brands.

CLIMBER
HANG-ON
LADDER STANDS

Any one can advice me

Thanks

ASK
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Hey ASK
Wow that is a long question
Comfort+ space = permanent ladder stand
Convenience+ compact and light= portable

My favorite is my self climber(Gorilla Silverback) because I have a lot of different properties i bow hunt. It is nice because it is easy to get into the tree with.
However I do have a two person ladder stand (Ameristep) which is much better for all day sits and rifle too.

Two things I think you need to ask are do you have the ability to leave stands and is comfort paramount to your hunting enjoyment
H&S
bradford2
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bradford2 »

If you're new to treestands...... try out a ladder stand.

They are much safer then the others and make the most sense in terms of 'how the heck am I going to do this' for the first timer.

I pretty much use them most of the time as I'm a big guy and not a huge fan of heights. They are generally pretty comfy and I feel safe sitting in them.......

Just my $.02 :D
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

I use a summit viper SS Al's Corner Store out side of Arnprior sells them.

Its a self climber, nice and comfy for sitting in long time frames.

Self climbers are idiot proof, back packable and never get stolen unless you leave it in the back of your truck while pretending to hunt while you are really inside "the den"

If you are only hunting one spot, and don't plan on moving it, build a tree house.
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Thanks to all of hook& shoot, bradford2 and MLR.

I'm looking to buy The 15' DEUCE LADDER STAND fro two hunters from Ameristep.
Is it good? what about a stealing?

I'm going to hunt in Marlborough forest.
It's safty for tree stand or I should remove it after hunting.

by the way I found 2 builded tree stand on the top of a tree.
Can I use it, or it's private?

ASK
almontefisher
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by almontefisher »

Usually if there is a permanent tree stand it is private...MNR does not build any as far as I know. As for leaving a portable tree stand in the woods I would say no. It is portable for a reason and could grow legs and walk away. :cry:
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Ask
The Duce is the double I own and it is quite nice for the price.
As far as stands on public land ...avoid them as :
1) you did not build it so how is it made and how safe is it
2) buddy that did make it took the time to make it and probably would be a wee upset at you sharing and how safe is that

I chain the ladderstand up even though I am supposed to have explusive hunting rights. Yo can buy fancy made cable and lock from Gorrila etc and pay too much, or hit CTC for a cheaper way
:wink: H&S
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

If you found the stand on crown land, it's public. But with that knowledge, it wasn't put there for public access, it was put there, most likely, by someone who wants to hunt from it. So in their mind they would likely take offense to anyone sitting/using their stand. Better to avoid that kind of situation all together IMO.

If your not set on a ladder stand, I can highly recommend the lone wolf sit&climb stand. I do not go into the woods without it. I love mine, the group of guys I hunted with loved theirs. (We looked like a frigg'n lone wolf commercial most mornings heading out into the bush).

They are at the top of the price range, but IMO the quality is fantastic. I've used the one model in gorilla's self-climbing lineup, and though it was lighter overall, it seemed awkward to me.... preference thing maybe, after so many years of using my lone wolf.

The reason I love the climber style stands is that I'm a walker... I mean I like to walk the bush to know what is going on. I'll sit for a few hours then get down and walk for a few more... after a few back-to-back days of doing this I'll have found new places I want to setup, new theories on where deer are moving, and so fourth. With my trusty climber, i just attach to a tree and go... no worries.. (at this point I do not even bother to cut shooting lanes anymore... there's always a hole if you wait long enough). The idea of putting up a stand in the bush in mid/late Sept and using it till end of season, doesn't fit my fidgety personality. The mobility that you get with this setup, the ability to hunt anywhere you want, is pretty awesome... and BTW using the lone wolf you can attach just the chair part to the base of the tree, and ground hunt... which I do quite often as well.

The new store in Richmond, "that hunting and fishing store" has some staff in there that have a bunch of first-hand experience with tree-stands of all kinds and have been stocked up pretty well, it could be worth a look.

Goodluck.
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Hi,

While I was surfing the internet for how do you chose a treestand and it is depend on the tree
They are talking about a high and size for tree which I am looking to Climbed by treestand.
My question is:

Which type of treestand is the best in the Larose and Marlporough forest, climbing or ladder stand?

ASK
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

ASK;
You will have to venture in and get a look at the trees.
A climber stand requires a long straight fairly uniform diameter trunk without branches. Good in the hardwood stands where the trees branches are mostly all at the top. Not so good in mixed forest where the hardwoods tend to have branches nearer the bottom.

There will be areas in both Larose and Marlborough where you can use a climber. There will be a larger selection of trees for a hang-on stand.

What I would recommend (if you are set on public land) is a good lightweight hang-on stand, and aluminum climbing sticks. But you will have to hang the stand each time out. You can pack in the stand and the sticks for a hunt, leaving only the bracket that the stand hangs on. This will eliminate the theft concerns of leaving your stand unattended.

A friend of mine does this on public land, and leaves his stand and sticks locked to a tree on the ground, under a camo tarp which he covers with branches. The likelihood of it being discovered are slim iesp when stored off the beaten path.

Even more important, regardless of which stand you settle on, make sure you get and use a good quality safety harness.
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

I would recommend getting something easy to take down and carry for when you leave. Have you ever seen Marlborough forest during hunting season? Its packed. I would not leave a single thing in those woods that I cared about getting back. On top of that you should spend a little time scouting for deer but also other hunters. With all those guys in there the last thing you want is to end up sitting somewhere and not knowing your in some guys shooting lane. And i would not recommend sitting in someone elses stand, while there is nothing to say that you cant there are some unwritten rules that do apply here. Put yourself in their shoes....you buy the wood take your valuable time to build it probably do some scouting to know deer travel through there only to go out one morning to use your stand and someone else who has done no work spent no money or time building it is sitting in it....Is it worth a new set of tires?? I would leave it alone, and share the woods. Who knows if your both hunting in there chances are you will meet and you might make a few hunting buddies out of it

orrsey
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Orrsey, thank you for your recommend.

Yes, it's first season to me,so I am new for deer hunting and I am looking to share this season with another hunter. And I have all ready bought a tag for deer since 18th of May.
So, if any one looking for partner for deer season, I am ready for that.

ASK
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Hi,

Untill now I don't find a Climbing treestand.
Over that, Lebaron, Wallmart and Canadiantire they didn't have a Climbing treestand.
Where can I find one?

ASK
TMH
Participant
Participant

Post by TMH »

ASK wrote:Hi,

Untill now I don't find a Climbing treestand.
Over that, Lebaron, Wallmart and Canadiantire they didn't have a Climbing treestand.
Where can I find one?

ASK
Al's corner store. he sells summit tree stands.. I have one and wouldnt trade it for anything
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

I would doubt that canadian tire or walmart will be ordering in more at this time of year.