Experience with ARC

Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Experience with ARC

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Just wondering if anyone on here can tell me if ARC is an absolute requirement on a rangefinder if you are in a treestand?
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Jimmy,

ARC (Angle Range Compensation) gives you the exact distance to your target,

That mean it's advantage for treestand.

ASK
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Not quite the response I was looking for ASK,

What I meant was...has anybody used the new ARC system and do they find it has made any difference over the other brands or Bushnell models without ARC.

I am asking because if I can buy a cheaper rangefinder and she'll do the trick over buying a new-fangled one with ARC I want to justify the extra $200+.
Bait&Fate
Participant
Participant

A.R.C

Post by Bait&Fate »

Some interesting points of view on the subject on this thread:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=954369

Most seem to think it isn't worth paying the extra money for this feature given the distance you would be shooting from your average tree stand.

Cheers

:)
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Thanks F&C
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Based purely on practice from the stand you tipped me off on (Vipper SS)

At 20 ft up the tree and 30 yards from my target, the bolts were less than 2" off.

Other calculations that ARC can't do is compensate for the bolts speed, since it doesn't know what you are shooting.

How much does a bolt drop at 40 yards shooting down hill on a 45 degree angle?

I think ARC was simply made so they had something to sell to the guy who already has an old range finder, but is itching to spend more money.

Had a hockey coach once tell me "you can't buy tallent in a sporting goods store"
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Save your money ...
buy trail cam instead Jimmy!!!!
H&S :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CRP_4321
Participant
Participant

Post by CRP_4321 »

You could get one of those pendulum sights.

Trail Cams are a much better investment. You can practice to be a better shot but you can't spend all day everyday looking for deer.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

MLR wrote: I think ARC was simply made so they had something to sell to the guy who already has an old range finder, but is itching to spend more money.

Had a hockey coach once tell me "you can't buy tallent in a sporting goods store"
From a guy who's done a load of archery hunting, from tree-stands almost exclusively, in my opinion this product is crap....

Gravity is a constant 32 feet/sec/sec... no exceptions in any WMU we can hunt.

The "product" claims that the effect of "shooting at a plain non-parallel to gravity (the ground) has an impact to accuracy". The travel path of your arrow is a constant as affected by gravity and there is no difference if you are shooting uphill or down hill.

In my opinion, the reason people shoot differently from an elevated position is because they are making technical mistakes. also, because they are told it makes a difference they accept a shot that is not exactly on-target as part of shooting from an elevated position ignoring any technical errors they may have made.

Shooting from a tree is technically more difficult than shooting from the ground... bending at the waist, vs the shoulders for example... most people draw-back keeping the sight-picture on-target... If you are in an elevated position and try this, you're body position will end-up out of wack, and effect your draw-length... and therefore your shot will be off... add that you might be seated at the same time, cramped against the tree, etc, and now you're dealing with a number of factors that can add-up quickly to a slightly-off target shot.

Taking some time to learn how to create and maintain proper body position when shooting from elevated position is not easy, but it's all you really need to invest in.

(sorry, long winded comment, it just pee pee me off when crap products are made and pushed out to take advantage of people... ARGH)
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Double Post of fury... lol
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Good Points Hook up. Also as the angle of your shot increases the size and location of the kill zone on your animal will change as well. Often hunters will have stands 25+ feet up which makes for a tough shot on a deer right underneath. How tall is deer? Do you really need to be in the nosebleeds?
My two cents
H&S
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

hook&shoot wrote:Good Points Hook up. Also as the angle of your shot increases the size and location of the kill zone on your animal will change as well. Often hunters will have stands 25+ feet up which makes for a tough shot on a deer right underneath. How tall is deer? Do you really need to be in the nosebleeds?
My two cents
H&S
This is an excellent point as well...

I'm not sure about you fellow tree-stand lovers, but I think that once your "feet" are at 8feet high you're into the good zone... higher might equal better, but after that point I think it's deminished returns... Of course, this is from a guy who is afraid of heights... :)

Though "shooting lanes" and "back cover" dictate my height when climbing, I'd have to say my "average" height off the ground, for my feet, is about 10-12 feet high... I've been higher but on average, you'll find me about that high.. putting my head at around 16-18 feet in the air...
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

I am rarely more than shooting from 12 -15 feet up as you stated.
H&S
Billy Bones
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Billy Bones »

Only got 40 years bowhunting whitetails. Throw the range finder out. Common Sense dictates, sight in your bow from a tree stand. K.I.S.S.

Billy Bones :shock: