1st water goose hunt of the season

ralphie
Participant
Participant

1st water goose hunt of the season

Post by ralphie »

Back at it again

My group did the season first foray for geese on the water on Saturday- what a day. Normally for this set up a south wind makes for challenging hunting as the birds can't get in the decoys and they use their american passports for the lee shore.. Out shore blind of willows was much like jungle hunting- we were well covered but lost sight of decoys and sky, so after a lot of hacking with a machete we had the 5 of us ready to hunt, we got a few on the first flight off to feed- nice big birds- not many pins. I mentioned in a previous message we are kinda spoiled with our very own shore line chef extraordinaire
well scrambled eggs and bacon was served 9ish, we were able to scare a few teal ducks to death, without spilling to much coffee, then a short pause for a few returning singles. Lunch started with coconut shrimp, individual duck a l'orange and venison roast, beans, taters,peppers and onions to fill the plate.
A few geese landed in the dekes during lunch and were properly dispatched for rudeness. After nap time- we were able to pull in a few more singles and then wrapped up a dusk
total 15 geese and 5 ducks-no lost birds

A great day shared with long time friends and keeners for the outdoors.

I noted- rare to get teal onthe St Lawrence I thought they would have headed south earlier. The were huge flocks of cormorants- another first for this area, the geese were good size not the smaller black downed thin skinned types we get early in the season.
orrsey
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by orrsey »

good shootin and good report, I have noticed a ton of teal around in the last couple weeks, they make for fun shooting.

orrsey
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Goog luck dude.....

ASK