First of the year

Buck Fever
Participant
Participant

First of the year

Post by Buck Fever »

Well I have been out 4 times this year and have seen deer every time but all antlerless. Today my luck changed. Was out this morning and saw a doe as I was playing with notherners rangefinder that I borrowed to confirm my distance markers I spooked her with my movement. Ooops I was a little mad at myself. 30 minutes later I saw a deer coming right at me. It jumped the fence and it was a 6 pointer, I started to wonder if I should take it when I looked behind it and there was a deer following it. I thought it was an 8 pointer because I could see the 4 on one side. By this time the 6 was 15 yards from me and the other was closing ground quickly, once the second hit the 15 yard mark and broadside I sent my 100 grain Slick trick through it's ribs or so I thought. He takes 2 jumps then walks slowly towards a third deer that I didn't see till after the shot (forkhorn). He stood for what seemed like forever till he kept walking behind some brush. I was really doubting my shot. I didn't see any blood on him and he didn't seem hurt. Then I heard him go down once then finally go down for good within sight. Needless to say the other 2 deer ran off. Even though I saw him down I wanted to wait a few minutes to ensure he was fully out. I hear a noise and look it is the 6 pointer back. I put down my crossbow and took out the camera. Took some pics of him at 20 yards. Funny don't see a buck the entire season yet and could have shot 2 within 10 minutes lol. I get to the downed deer and it was a 7 pointer, one tine was not big enough. I am so surprised it took so long for him to go down. I got both lungs and top of the heart. Here are some pics of the one I shot and the 6 pointer afterwards.
LeGrand
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by LeGrand »

Congrats Bruce.

I'm going to give it a try this Saturday in Franktown, ON

:wink:
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

Hopefully nowhere near my stand....LOL!
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

That will be a nice tasty eater. A great deer to harvest Buck Fever
Congrats
H&S
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Jimmy

Are you having any luck at your new property?

Offering guided hunts yet?
ASK
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ASK »

Wooow ...... good luck

It's a nice deer.

ASK
TLunge
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TLunge »

Yes nice one and cool view from your stand, looks like a good spot with batchelor groups coming by
hook&shoot
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hook&shoot »

Guided hunts MLR that is a good one.
:lol: :lol:
H&S
pappy
Participant
Participant

Post by pappy »

Last edited by pappy on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ralphie
Participant
Participant

Post by ralphie »

well done- that will be fine steaks and roasts, your pictures, sure will make more than few of us start dusting the gear off and get the honey doo list done before snow flies completed so we can get out there. I m still working on mine